IGNORED

Crystal Castles and Marble Madness coding

I was thinking about how I'd do Crystal Castles on 5200/8bit. (I've been playing it on Dreamcast Atari Anniversary).

It seems to draw background 'layers' from back to front, which end up forming that 3D image.

But I wonder how you keep the Bear and enemies on the 'track' in the background? Invisible mapping?

Marble Madness seems to employ similar design, although I don't have a copy of this game myself.

I don't know how to look a rom's code. I only use the VSS and since i have sound probs, I don't even use that now.

I have the 800Win, but even though I put some 5200 roms in the appropriate folder, it never does anything ... it's like it can't find them. How do yuo see a .rom's code?

Besides, it probably doesn't have variable names when you unassemble it, right? It's got to be hard to read.

Oh, and John who? John Hardie? Where'd he find it?

Yeah John Hardie, I don't know where he found it. He said it was labeled Super CC and had a level editor in it or something like that. He might have been pulling my leg about that, but I think he was serious this time. He even mentioned it in his latest column (on the 5200 prototype review page).

I don't know how to view rom code either, you'd have to find a disassembler for 5200 carts (I assume it would work with 400/800 carts as well). Maybe Dan knows where to find one.

Tempest

On disassembly:

I have been using MESS to do disassembly recently. It's debugger has a good diassembler which can write the disassembly out to a file. There is also Dis6502 (http://www.atarimax.com/dis6502/index.html) which can disassemble 5200 and Atari 8-bit carts. Of course generatting the assembly code is only the tip of the iceberg, the hard part is figuring out how it works.

Dan

Cafeman--

This subject of perspective in 3d games has come up before. The track itself is just a graphic image...if you were to remove it entirely, the characters would still follow it's path (they are following directions from the matrix that is set up in memory). You could have a matrix layer like...

...and the program could only allow movement on cels that contain a non-zero value. You wouldn't be checking the screen to see if the next spot is something your character can stand on...just checking the matrix to see if the character goes out of bounds. Since CC allows limited movement -within- a cel, you would need to allow the program to consider each cel as a set number of pixels (like + or - 3 for vertical, and + or - 7 for horizontal).

Also, CC uses 3-point perspective, so the program would also need to consider the upper-left corner of the matrix as being in the center of the screen, with the next higher cels being staggered out to the left or right of the center. So the matrix becomes something like...

_______0_______

______0_0______

_____0_1_0_____

____0_1_1_0____

___0_1_0_1_0___

____0_1_1_0____

_____0_1_0_____

______0_0______

_______0_______

...and you would need to have the program "draw" the lowered-numbered cels first to give the 3d effect. If you would be using the priority register to allow characters to move "behind" on-screen walls, you would need to keep the height of the walls slightly larger then the characters (or you might see a floating face on the higher layers as a character walks behind the wall color).

Challenging program, good luck.

BTW Atari made CC for the 8-bit computers back in '84...bloody difficult to control with a joystick. No source code, but it could probably be ported to the 5200 with only vector changes to the program (and the stick routine would have to go).

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Nukey Shay ]

• 9 months later...