IGNORED

Kiosk questions

Saturn

1- What year(s) were these being manufactured?

2- Is the black molded piece with the eyes fiberglass or plastic?

3- What is on the surface of the wood inside the display housing where the Jag unit goes? Some sort of orange paint? Sorry, I don't know crap about woodworking.. ;)

4- Is an sc1435 the standard monitor that was included with these babies?

5- Is the rgb cable from a sc1435 to a Catbox/Scatbox the same as the sc1224?

6- @Jaysmith2000- What's a Stereo Proto Card and a Klipsch THX Sound System that you mentioned in this thread?

> 1- What year(s) were these being manufactured?

1994-1995 I suspect

> 2- Is the black molded piece with the eyes fiberglass or plastic?

It's smooth on both sides so it might be sheet moulded compound. It feels brittle like fiberglass though. Hard for me to tell without taking a scraping of the material and I'm not about to do that.

>3- What is on the surface of the wood inside the display housing where the Jag unit goes? Some sort of orange paint? Sorry, I don't know crap about woodworking.. ;)

Looks like a reddish/orange cabinet finishing material. It's bonded to the particle board like the veneer they always put on cheap computer desks.

>4- Is an sc1435 the standard monitor that was included with these babies?

I believe so.

>5- Is the rgb cable from a sc1435 to a Catbox/Scatbox the same as the sc1224?

No. It's some weird custom cable.

>6- @Jaysmith2000- What's a Stereo Proto Card and a Klipsch THX Sound System that you mentioned in this thread

?????

6- @Jaysmith2000- What's a Stereo Proto Card and a Klipsch THX Sound System that you mentioned in this thread?

Hey Saturn,

The Stereo Proto Card is simply a device that plugs into the video in the back and then the sc1435 cable plugs into that. It has a single out (like a headphone) that you can plug a computer stereo system into. I chose the 200 watt Klipsch system because I upgraded my computer to the 500 watt so I had it lying around. Makes for a great game of T2K!

I believe B&C still has some of these protos left. Check with Bruce if you're interested. They're not expensive.

Jason

The original amplifier for the kiosks was an Optimus SA-155 Stereo Mini Amplifier (Cat. No. 31-1957). When I got my Kiosk the amp was missing but the owners manual for it was included, and I was able to track one down at Radio Shack when they were on clearance.

Here's one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5&category=3280

-Kevin

Greg LaBrec sent the following memorandum regarding the kiosks:

To: Ed / Lynda (don't know if they were Atari employees)

Date: 1/12/94

RE: Jaguar Interactive Displays

- either fix plastic "cellulite" or incorporate into design element.

- fix multi-level effect of eyes in vacuform.

- change the way front door opens so wood is not damaged.

- lower take-one holder by 2 inches.

- make tab on sliding door less extended.

- eliminte joypad arm closure to enable easier replacement of joyad.

- work on "T" or "Y" bracket version of joypad arm for multi-player unit.

- shorten bottom length of monitor plex and cut into monitor shelf to enable access to brighness and contrast controls from console window.

- clean up decals so diecut is visually symmetrical rather than randomly jagged.

- position speakers at proper angle.

- move speaker-wire holes close as possible to cowl.

- verify ability to swap-out 1224 monitor.

- discontinue use of wire cap at rear hole. (Video and electric cables take up too much room for caps to be useful.)

- create retailer assembly instruction sheet.

- generate weight and dimension diagrams for distribution to retailers.

- add red screw covers to console compartment.

- add black screw covers to cowl screws.

- research "keying" options. Can units for a particular chain be keyed the same, yet different from one chain to another.

Looks like designed in late 1993, but not released till sometime in 1994 to retailers.

Just some interesting feedback Greg LaBrec was giving about the kiosks. Funny to see him mention the 1224. But AFAIK, Atari used the 1435 only with only 1435 video cables being made. Never seen 1224 cables, except for the ones that Redmond cable supplied.

Glenn

On the subject of 1224's Im going to make up a cable for myself when I get time, as I adore my 1224 and it gets far too little use at the moment (also its lot more portable than a tv). I seem to remember reading somewhere something to do with ST's and their monitors using non standard rgb signal strengths, and resistors being needed somewhere in the mix for custom cables. Does anyone remember about this and if I'll need resistors on the rgb lines when making a cable to go from my Jag to a 1224?

On the subject of 1224's Im going to make up a cable for myself when I get time, as I adore my 1224 and it gets far too little use at the moment (also its lot more portable than a tv). I seem to remember reading somewhere something to do with ST's and their monitors using non standard rgb signal strengths, and resistors being needed somewhere in the mix for custom cables. Does anyone remember about this and if I'll need resistors on the rgb lines when making a cable to go from my Jag to a 1224?

Just checked both ends of the RGB cable between my Mega STE and Philips CM8833-II, and on the monitor end, there are two resistors on the two wires going to pin 7. Yellow, Purple, Brown, Gold.

Hey, would you like me to do a paint job on your 1224 to match your Jag? I could hand-paint a Jaguar logo on it as well...

Just checked both ends of the RGB cable between my Mega STE and Philips CM8833-II, and on the monitor end, there are two resistors on the two wires going to pin 7. Yellow, Purple, Brown, Gold.

Which suggests that ST's do output higher than standard signals... which meens perhaps the Jag's output would need to be amplified to make it work nicely with an ST monitor?

Hey, would you like me to do a paint job on your 1224 to match your Jag? I could hand-paint a Jaguar logo on it as well...

Urgh no, it would clash with my ST then hehe, but I might need your help/advice with another respray I want to do :).

Which suggests that ST's do output higher than standard signals... which meens perhaps the Jag's output would need to be amplified to make it work nicely with an ST monitor?

I seem to recall there are potential problems with making a 1224 cable. Especially with what you mention above about signal strengths. The Redmond cable does work, but the video signal is weak (kinda low on the brightness). So don't be surprise if you get this kind of result.

I'm wondering if Redmond might of used some wiring that does a little too much signal loss or just the fact that the Jaguar doesn't put out a very strong video signal. Probably the later.

Glenn

Just checked both ends of the RGB cable between my Mega STE and Philips CM8833-II' date=' and on the monitor end' date=' there are two resistors on the two wires going to pin 7. Yellow, Purple, Brown, Gold.[/quote'']

Which suggests that ST's do output higher than standard signals...

Most likely. I seem to recall the STE's stereo audio outputs were also way higher than line level.

Hey' date=' would you like me to do a paint job on your 1224 to match your Jag? I could hand-paint a Jaguar logo on it as well...[/quote']

Urgh no, it would clash with my ST then hehe, but I might need your help/advice with another respray I want to do :).

Now that sounds exciting... Does it involve blue LEDs? I've got tons of those stashed away here...

I seem to recall there are potential problems with making a 1224 cable. Especially with what you mention above about signal strengths. The Redmond cable does work, but the video signal is weak (kinda low on the brightness).

Some versions of the 1224 are known to have poor brightness problems - and I've seen it. So having a weak signal as well won't help.