IGNORED

Atari two-joystick games: I've been coming up with unique wireless controller options lately (video)

ave1

Some of my favorite 2 joystick games for the 2600 include Stargate, Spy Hunter, Solaris, and Radar Lock.  Over the course of time I've tried various joysticks out on these games to see if I could get superior control one way or the other. Really the best option happens to be putting a table in front of me with a pair of suction cups joysticks attached, but hauling out a table for that purpose is kinda a hassle.

There are trays for the 2600 CX-40 joysticks to be placed in for 2 joystick gaming, but I've never managed to add one of these to my collection...

So, I have a new idea to share here, and it h has to do with using an 8bitdo Retro Receiver for the Genesis along with a wireless pair of Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons.  Check out what I've managed to accomplish:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ave1 said:

Some of my favorite 2 joystick games for the 2600 include Stargate, Spy Hunter, Solaris, and Radar Lock.  Over the course of time I've tried various joysticks out on these games to see if I could get superior control one way or the other.

Thanks for posting the video, I'm subscribed to your channel and watched it last night. When you mentioned the upcoming Robotron: 2084 port for Atari 2600 I immediately wanted to try it out with my Joy-Cons on an upcoming stream on my show!

I already have some 8bitdo Retro Receivers, would you be able to list the other components (and where to get them) that I would need to buy to make them work while in the vertical position in the Switch coupler on the 2600 with Robotron? Would I need to buy both the left & right 90 degree angle changers?

- James

The 8bitdo Retro Receivers will only work on a 2600 when plugged into an additional adapter known as the Best Electronics Sega Controllers to Atari Systems Adapter Cable (or alternatively an Edladdin Seagull78 controller adapter).

Or you could do the RevEng mod on your Retro Receiver(s) to avoid having to buy a pair of the Best Electronics or Seagull 78 adapters:

When it comes to the 90 degree position changing adapters, you'll need both the 90 clockwise and 90 counterclockwise adapters and they are easy to make with a couple cords (having 9 or more internal wires inside) and 9 pin solderless connectors (male and female).  You can find these connectors by using the following search words on Ebay: db9 9 pin solderless plug. My video  shows how to do it here (14 min 20 seconds in):  

Edited by ave1