IGNORED

Skunkboard: Special Edition (v5) Interest?

cubanismo

I would be in for one, however, it would depend on what you plan putting on the import sticker, paying 100$ for this and a shipping cost, then incurring probably a 50£ import tax bill sours the water to the point that it isn't worth the money all because our governments can't sort their shit out and agree on no costs

Anything marked above $20 and it would not work for me due to unnessassary tax.

Edited by omf
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, omf said:

skunkboards are their own device and do not need other devices to make them work apart from a usb cable

Correct, they'll come ready to go. I'm building an updated JCP (Jaguar CoPy, the program you use on the computer to talk to the skunkboard) that should work on WinXP - Win10, and the source will be available for Linux users. You just supply the computer, USB cable, and Jaguar. When I get to building the boards, I'll dig up some amazon/newegg/etc. links for appropriate cables and I'm sure others can help out with links outside the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've been heads-down working on the boards and SW, but I'm following the thread. I think I have a rough idea how many I can order now. I found a very minor issue with the prototype/RC1 Rev.5 boards just as I was about to push the button to order production boards. I've fixed it and ordered a second round of prototype boards. If those look good I'll move on to production-quality boards.

The updated JCP and v4 BIOS are done and pretty thoroughly tested. I'm just holding them on documentation updates and maybe a bit of packaging on the win32 side for JCP.

• Like 4

Quick update: A box is definitely happening now, along with at least one other bonus item for a "collector's edition" package. Here's a scale miniature of the box I printed at home:

skunk_box_mini.thumb.jpg.f9c16ac8398252dd61a6e06ca212341c.jpg

Apologies for the horrible scissor work + assembly: This was all hand cut and folded. The final boxes will of course be professionally printed and scored, in addition to matching the size of regular Jaguar game boxes.

• Like 10

On 10/29/2020 at 11:07 PM, cubanismo said:

Correct, they'll come ready to go. I'm building an updated JCP (Jaguar CoPy, the program you use on the computer to talk to the skunkboard) that should work on WinXP - Win10, and the source will be available for Linux users. You just supply the computer, USB cable, and Jaguar. When I get to building the boards, I'll dig up some amazon/newegg/etc. links for appropriate cables and I'm sure others can help out with links outside the US.

Will it work with MacOS?

1 hour ago, atari2600land said:

Did I miss out on it?

No, I haven't built any production quality boards yet. I started this thread to gauge interest. When it's time to order, I'll provide clear instructions. I don't have any more spare prototype boards at the moment.

4 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

Will it work with MacOS?

I hadn't built the updated jcp on my Mac yet, but I just tried it and it appears to work fine, so yes, it will. If needed, I can post a Mac jcp binary along with the Windows ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I'd be interested in one. Am I correct in thinking that the Skunkboard would have some practical advantages over the GD for working on games? Just leave it connected and upload new revisions as you work on things?

You are correct. You can also use GDB with the jserve tool if you want to debug your 68000 code.

On 11/9/2020 at 6:31 PM, cubanismo said:

Quick update: A box is definitely happening now, along with at least one other bonus item for a "collector's edition" package. Here's a scale miniature of the box I printed at home:

skunk_box_mini.thumb.jpg.f9c16ac8398252dd61a6e06ca212341c.jpg

Apologies for the horrible scissor work + assembly: This was all hand cut and folded. The final boxes will of course be professionally printed and scored, in addition to matching the size of regular Jaguar game boxes.

Will you be selling the miniboxes as well? I need a companion for my shrunken Xenon II: Megablast boxes. :P

17 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I'd be interested in one. Am I correct in thinking that the Skunkboard would have some practical advantages over the GD for working on games? Just leave it connected and upload new revisions as you work on things?

This is very difficult to answer without having the ability to work with a game drive myself yet, and I don't want to mislead people, so the best I can say is "maybe," based on information I've gleaned on the gamedrive from these forums and working with the skunkboards rather intimately, which I'll try to summarize here. Please feel free to jump in if you have corrections.

First off: Both products support connecting to a PC via a USB cable, resetting the jaguar programmatically using that cable, and uploading + running code over that cable.

For tooling, I believe the Skunkboard has some advantage over the GD right now. There's the GDB support @dilinger notes, the skunk library for doing basic printf-style logging/debugging and file I/O to/from a host computer from your jaguar code, some more extensive host computer interaction support in the remover's library, and in general plenty of sample code for making arbitrary use of the USB engine for external communication. It also has existing open-source toolchains for all the major OS's (Windows, Mac, Linux), whereas the GD only has binary windows tools currently. However, this will very likely change as @SainT continues his work and/or releases enough code/specifications for others to hack on things there. The command line tools released thus far for the game drive are rather limited compared to even jcp on the skunk, but that's understandable given it's a brand-new, more consumer-focused product. A programmer's manual has also been promised for the GD at some point, which will presumably enable development of more tools and libraries.

The GD has some current advantages as well. @CyranoJ, the only developer I know of doing serious work with a game drive thus far, has noted ROM uploads are super fast on a game drive for example, since from what I understand they go straight to the GD's onboard RAM, while it takes some time (~a minute roughly) to flash an actual ROM to the onboard flash on the skunk. I imagine uploads to RAM, which is how most people do most of their actual development work AFAIK, are probably comparable in speed in that they're likely fast enough you don't care one way or the other (I get around 200-250KB/s on my skunk using a really, really horrible USB host + HUB, which means it takes about 4-5s to upload 1MB of data+code. I've heard most others can get around 300KB/s). Game drives also let you test 32-bit ROM accesses, which is likely what you'll be using if your goal is to ship physical cartridges, but the chances that this actually affects how your code runs or behaves in practice are slim to none.

Short summary version of my takeaway: As far as I know, the Skunkboard is a little easier to get started developing on as of today, but I wouldn't count on it maintaining that advantage long term.

2 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

Short summary version of my takeaway: As far as I know, the Skunkboard is a little easier to get started developing on as of today, but I wouldn't count on it maintaining that advantage long term.

The GD drivers also don't need jumping through hoops and a 3rd party app (Zadig) to work in W10.

But if you can't install Windows drivers you have no business developing on the Jaguar anyway :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1