IGNORED

MSX/Coleco Sprite & Tile Set Editor

Tony Cruise

This is an application written in C# .Net for home brew developers to create both Sprite and Tile Set designs for their home brew projects.

MSXSpriteEditor1.png

The sprite design section allows:

• multi-layer pattern design
  • animation sequences
  • export to assembler and C formats
  • import data directly from existing source code

MSXSpriteEditor2.png

The tile set editor section allows:

• characters can be designed in groups of four for larger objects
  • powerful colour editing and copying

I intend on adding more features in the future.

The application is free to use, but I have included a Donate button if anyone would like to contribute to the cost of the certificate.

The installation link is here:

Current Version is 1.0.8115.34244

Edited by Tony Cruise
New version released
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice tool!  i love it! thanks a lot!

But i did not manage to export to C format?   I can to Asm , but C  Format i don't see it in the options.

Would it be possible also to add the RLE compression in addition to Pletter?

And can we use 3 different tilesets to construct one image? (one tile set by group of 8 rows)   i did not manage to do that also.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, youki said:

Very nice tool!  i love it! thanks a lot!

But i did not manage to export to C format?   I can to Asm , but C  Format i don't see it in the options.

Would it be possible also to add the RLE compression in addition to Pletter?

And can we use 3 different tilesets to construct one image? (one tile set by group of 8 rows)   i did not manage to do that also.

All good suggestions, thank you, I will get to work on them over the next few days.

• Like 1

Can I ask what changes you made?

If I had a wish list it would be an expandable window where the onscreen data expanded with it.

I love your work but this gets a bit tedious when trying to get down to the finer details.

or how about some other kind of zoom feature for the screen layout.

Another would be freehand drawing on the screen layout and/or import an 8 bit picture then it would divide up the tiles with the ability to save the new pattern set with identifying the repeat data.

I know, sounds crazy but this would go really far to aid development.

At present you have to build your characters then create the background picture.

Last would be a sound and music editor that saves the data then export directly to your game data.

Maybe even be able to import other systems that use the SN76489A like TI994/A music and sound.

I second the tile set limitation.

I can always work within what is already there but at present if I have more than 256 tiles I have to break them up into several files.  In game I load my extended tiles on the fly from rom if my game is that graphical intensive.

Yes, it is a wish list.

Always remember, people like you make all the difference.

Without those like you it would be just a chore to were hobbyist may just throw their hands up in the air.

If I had to do all this by hand like in the 80's I probably would not bother.

Edited by Itchy Scratchy

3 minutes ago, youki said:

I second that!:)

1 hour ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Can I ask what changes you made?

If I had a wish list it would be an expandable window where the onscreen data expanded with it.

I love your work but this gets a bit tedious when trying to get down to the finer details.

or how about some other kind of zoom feature for the screen layout.

Another would be freehand drawing on the screen layout and/or import an 8 bit picture then it would divide up the tiles with the ability to save the new pattern set with identifying the repeat data.

I know, sounds crazy but this would go really far to aid development.

At present you have to build your characters then create the background picture.

Last would be a sound and music editor that saves the data then export directly to your game data.

Maybe even be able to import other systems that use the SN76489A like TI994/A music and sound.

I second the tile set limitation.

I can always work within what is already there but at present if I have more than 256 tiles I have to break them up into several files.  In game I load my extended tiles on the fly from rom if my game is that graphical intensive.

Yes, it is a wish list.

Always remember, people like you make all the difference.

Without those like you it would be just a chore to were hobbyist may just throw their hands up in the air.

If I had to do all this by hand like in the 80's I probably would not bother.

The import from clipboard is already there, but only on the tileset edit screen, and it is definitely not perfect, so yes it would be good if that was on the screen layout page potentially as well.

I also agree it needs the ability to use more than one set of tiles per screen layout (the data structures in the file format already support that).

Drawing straight into the screen layout is also a good idea, I just need to think about the best way to do it.  I would like it to optimize the tiles as you do it though and it may be better to have a dedicated screen for that type of entry to be able to give it the right focus.

There is actually the start of a music and sound editor in there :)  I just haven't made it visible (as lets face it it doesn't work yet ;) ).

New version uploaded with the following fixes:

Now that you have set transparent to be a cell with some dots in it, this should really also be the same in the "Select Colour" dialog box that pops up when changing colours.  Also, if one selects transparent in the "Select Colour" dialog, and are returned to the Sprites or Character Sets tab, the selected colour box is still shown as plain white and really should now show the dots in it to show that transparent is the active "colour" @Ikrananka

- File > New, doesn't clear the name in the "Screen Layout Name" box, Then if I add a new layout using the '+' button, the new layout becomes "Layout 02" with a blank one listed above it @Ikrananka

- Export to 'C' format @youki

- You can now select Pletter or RLE (I will add Dan1 with the next update), hope I have the ending byte correct @youki - I wouldn't use RLE, very poor compression - see my templates for the Pletter decompression routine.

I'll work on the remainder of the suggestions (and adding Dan1 compression) over the next few days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony Cruise said:

New version uploaded with the following fixes:

Now that you have set transparent to be a cell with some dots in it, this should really also be the same in the "Select Colour" dialog box that pops up when changing colours.  Also, if one selects transparent in the "Select Colour" dialog, and are returned to the Sprites or Character Sets tab, the selected colour box is still shown as plain white and really should now show the dots in it to show that transparent is the active "colour" @Ikrananka

- File > New, doesn't clear the name in the "Screen Layout Name" box, Then if I add a new layout using the '+' button, the new layout becomes "Layout 02" with a blank one listed above it @Ikrananka

- Export to 'C' format @youki

- You can now select Pletter or RLE (I will add Dan1 with the next update), hope I have the ending byte correct @youki - I wouldn't use RLE, very poor compression - see my templates for the Pletter decompression routine.

I'll work on the remainder of the suggestions (and adding Dan1 compression) over the next few days.

Thanks a lot!  i'll try as soon as possible!

the RLE is i think (correct me if i'm wrong)  faster to decompress than pletter. 

Speaking about DAN1   , i never used it , but i used a lot the DAN0  (in all my games in fact , except Muncher Mouse)  it is very efficient if you have set of images. But not very efficient on only one image.

8 hours ago, youki said:

Thanks a lot!  i'll try as soon as possible!

the RLE is i think (correct me if i'm wrong)  faster to decompress than pletter. 

Speaking about DAN1   , i never used it , but i used a lot the DAN0  (in all my games in fact , except Muncher Mouse)  it is very efficient if you have set of images. But not very efficient on only one image.

Might be an issue with the upload (Eric has reported it still says the same version), I'll re-upload after I get home from work.

Maybe a dumb question but is this going to be the same link on the first page.

I am only used to getting it from your website.

Personally I like this much better because you don't have to setup firewall connections and the like.

Better if were just a portable version with no install whatsoever but that's just me.

I drag and drop everything especially when I am on the road and switch over to my laptop.

24 minutes ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Maybe a dumb question but is this going to be the same link on the first page.

I am only used to getting it from your website.

Personally I like this much better because you don't have to setup firewall connections and the like.

Better if were just a portable version with no install whatsoever but that's just me.

I drag and drop everything especially when I am on the road and switch over to my laptop.

It is just a .Net application and doesn't use anything too spectacular, but an installer is easier for people to use i.e. get an icon on the desktop and in the menu etc

But to answer your original question, yes same link, I don't keep old versions on the server.

9 hours ago, Tony Cruise said:

Might be an issue with the upload (Eric has reported it still says the same version), I'll re-upload after I get home from work.

I noticed that also,  i just tried again now.  And still have the old version (i think as i don't see RLE or C export). I guess you did not uploaded again yet. :)

Ok just now I have uploaded a new version (I had accidently updated the .Net version to 4.7.2 and the Wix installer only goes up to 4.6.2, so I have downgraded it to 4.6.1), use the link in the first post and then click on the download link (does not work if I post the link separately - will have to work out why).

Also minor updates:

- Screen Layouts - added a current tile display with the tile zoomed x 2 (Is this what were thinking @youki)

image.png.8f93def60c525527342f5d3f8d3f5d5b.png

- I did not have the proper ending byte sequence for RLE - fixed.

More work soon - watching James Bond, can't concentrate ;) 

I built a cabinet once and over engineered it that you could park a car on top and it would be fine but at the end of the day it was just a cabinet to store books.

Point being, and I know this is your baby, you only use 5 files totaling around 900k with less than 250k rar'ed

All other files are created at first start.

You can rar all 5 files then drag and drop it in a post.

Could you at least think about giving people a choice to have a portable version especially when this great program changes a lot.

?

12 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

I built a cabinet once and over engineered it that you could park a car on top and it would be fine but at the end of the day it was just a cabinet to store books.

Point being, and I know this is your baby, you only use 5 files totaling around 900k with less than 250k rar'ed

All other files are created at first start.

You can rar all 5 files then drag and drop it in a post.

Could you at least think about giving people a choice to have a portable version especially when this great program changes a lot.

?

Yes I know it is only a small app, but Windows 10 and it's security are a pain in the ... Even though it is a signed app (at great expense by the way), it will still get picked up as a potential rogue app if it is not installed by a trusted installer. So it is safer for it to be installed.

1 hour ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

OK, so please tell me how to get past the Application validation did not succeed so I can try out the new version.

Windows 10 x64

You could always do both, have the install which is giving hash errors.  Maybe just me or the portable version for those with the know how.

That Tile Editor .MSI you first posted installed just fine, even that is 5 steps less than a direct download from your network and setting up firewall rules.

Even when I disable my firewall altogether I still get the errors when there is no need.

My friend I am not complaining, you are a valuable commodity that I can not beat but I am just stating my experience.

Others may differ.

Once you have downloaded the file you shouldn't need to be connected to the Internet at all (it does not use any network features). 

As long as you have .Net 4.61. or later installed you are good to go.

If you have Windows Defender enabled, you might have to click 'Install Anyway' the first time. After that it won't ask.

If it complains that the new download is not newer than the old one, uninstall the old one and then install from the new file.

I did that on a different computer and it worked.

Latest version is image.png.5e9173896470866599a75cb8a4cefd7d.png

And easy to tell if you double click on the colour selection of the first page the palette should look like this:

image.png.29cf097db1191bed1e807f62d481f70c.png

i.e. transparent is shown as the lightly dotted white.

I am now using a Application Signing Certificate from Go Daddy:

image.png.80e80090f9f32b89bffbaf5085c8752f.png

I was unable to renew my previous Thawte Certificate (as basically the USA doesn't believe in the rest of the world) and the process I had to go through to get the Go Daddy one was onerous to say the least.  The WIKs installer is what Windows 10 is picking up now, maybe I can sign that with my certificate as well.

Thanks a lot for all these updates!.  i did not have time to dig into now.

But on my side, i have no problem with the installation process , it is really smooth.   Of course i have to bypass all the warning of windows security ... but it is just 2 or 3 clicks..

Looking foward to have also a music composition tool of this quality!

44 minutes ago, youki said:

Thanks a lot for all these updates!.  i did not have time to dig into now.

But on my side, i have no problem with the installation process , it is really smooth.   Of course i have to bypass all the warning of windows security ... but it is just 2 or 3 clicks..

Looking foward to have also a music composition tool of this quality!

Thanks, will be doing some work on the audio side of things soon.

Just uploaded another version, I have individually signed the .exe and the two Dlls inside the MSI and the MSI itself.  It still comes up with the warning but it is a different colour.

Microsoft are a pain in the backside sometimes, constantly changing things.  I'll do some more research, but it should not get picked up by the virus scanners now (as long as they trust Go Daddy of course).

26 minutes ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Disabled Security and Firewall

This is what I get

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
    Windows             : 10.0.19041.0 (Win32NT)
    Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.42000
    System.Deployment.dll         : 4.8.4270.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    clr.dll             : 4.8.4250.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    dfdll.dll             : 4.8.4270.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    dfshim.dll             : 10.0.19041.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

SOURCES
    Deployment url            : https://www.electricadventures.net/MSXSpriteEditor/MSXSpriteEditor.application
                        Server        : Microsoft-IIS/10.0
                        X-Powered-By    : ASP.NET
    Deployment Provider url        : http://www.electricadventures.net/MSXSpriteEditor/MSXSpriteEditor.application
    Application url            : https://www.electricadventures.net/MSXSpriteEditor/Application Files/MSXSpriteEditor_1_1_0_49/MSXSpriteEditor.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
    Deployment Identity        : MSXSpriteEditor.application, Version=1.1.0.49, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d5312bdb642110c5, processorArchitecture=x86

APPLICATION SUMMARY
    * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of https://www.electricadventures.net/MSXSpriteEditor/MSXSpriteEditor.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
        + Application manifest has either a different computed hash than the one specified or no hash specified at all.
        + File, MSXSpriteEditor.exe.manifest, has a different computed hash than specified in manifest.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
    No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
    There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
    * [11/17/2020 4:37:41 AM] : Activation of https://www.electricadventures.net/MSXSpriteEditor/MSXSpriteEditor.application has started.
    * [11/17/2020 4:37:43 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
    * [11/17/2020 4:37:43 AM] : Installation of the application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
    Following errors were detected during this operation.
    * [11/17/2020 4:37:44 AM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (HashValidation)
        - Application manifest has either a different computed hash than the one specified or no hash specified at all.
        - Source: System.Deployment
        - Stack trace:
            at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadApplicationManifest(AssemblyManifest deploymentManifest, String targetDir, Uri deploymentUri, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, Uri& appSourceUri, String& appManifestPath)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl, Uri& deploymentUri)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
            at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
        --- Inner Exception ---
        System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (HashValidation)
        - File, MSXSpriteEditor.exe.manifest, has a different computed hash than specified in manifest.
        - Source: System.Deployment
        - Stack trace:
            at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentVerifier.VerifyFileHash(String filePath, Hash hash)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentVerifier.VerifyFileHash(String filePath, HashCollection hashCollection)
            at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadApplicationManifest(AssemblyManifest deploymentManifest, String targetDir, Uri deploymentUri, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, Uri& appSourceUri, String& appManifestPath)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
    No transaction information is available.

At least up until this last version, it was fun while it lasted.

Sorry you disagree but I feel that your measures to deploy such a small program is way over the top.

Compressed it would fit on a digital data pack.

I'll get the update whenever it gets fixed, there are no hard feeling or animosity.

So from the error message, right at the start it says you have common language runtime 4.0.30319.42000, you need to install 4.6.1 or greater, which I am surprised hasn't installed due to a Windows 10 update.

Well that's what I thought when I first read it, but that sounds like the manifest from the old version of the application, I would say you are trying to run the old version.  I have gotten rid of it's reliance on Click Once and having an Internet connection completely and use Wix to make a stand alone installer.  It does mean updates are manual of course.

You need to uninstall it completely and probably remove the directory.  So remove any versions of MSX Sprite Editor in your Settings->Apps, there may be more than one, if you still have the Click Once version and one of the newer MSI versions.

Then download a fresh copy from the installation link here: https://www.electricadventures.net/Pages/Category/24, which should download a single MSI file.

Then basically install that (double click), depending on your version of Windows 10, it will either mention something about needing something from the Windows Store (my new laptop), just say Yes, or it will give you the Blue screen (hopefully light blue now), and you have to click 'More Info' and then 'Install Anyway'.

Any new versions you download after that will just update the application and won't make duplicate copies.

Running Win 10x64H1 with all the bells and whistles just forced updated yesterday.  lol

Followed the link at top and installed the manifest under 1.1.049

Now that I look at the page where it has the giant link to 1.1.046 there is a tiny obscure link above it "The installation link is here:" with the MSI

I must of missed it somehow.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Running Win 10x64H1 with all the bells and whistles just forced updated yesterday.  lol

Followed the link at top and installed the manifest under 1.1.049

Now that I look at the page where it has the giant link to 1.1.046 there is a tiny obscure link above it "The installation link is here:" with the MSI

I must of missed it somehow.

Thanks.

That's what I thought, I will edit all the articles and make them point to the new download and make the installation link into a nice button so it's more noticeable.  But good to know you have the right version now.

• Like 1