IGNORED

Commodore 64's and the thug life? (Via Hollywood)

Omega-TI

On 11/15/2020 at 8:21 PM, Omega-TI said:

By today's standards if you wanted to keep something hidden from hackers, like illegal activity, the Commodore 64 seems like the imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68logical thing to use... right?  ?

EX.webm 733.89 kB · 1 download

In some level of seriousness, I have considered keeping personal financial records in GeoCalc128 because I figure that is as secure as possible.

44 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Security by obscurity? :D

It's not the Cops or government we really have to worry about, it's all the big tech companies that Hoover every bit of your personal information to make a buck.  Also some of these APPS people use 'for free' are no better than Trojan Horses encapsulating privacy sucking code.  I keep my schedule on my TI-99/4A not because I'm doing anything illegal or shady, it's simply because I don't trust Google or Microshaft.  For example, say you look up some medical condition for a friend or family member, and that information gets recorded somewhere.  Years later when you go shopping for a life insurance policy, BAM, that information may be inappropriately used and you may have higher rates than you should.

Or for the conspiracy types, everything you've ever written on social media may be taken out of context and used against you someday or you may be targeted by someone just because you've associated with some unknown person online who is on someone's bad list.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Omega-TI said:

Or for the conspiracy types, everything you've ever written on social media may be taken out of context and used against you someday or you may be targeted by someone just because you've associated with some unknown person online who is on someone's bad list.

This is not just conspiracy.  This has happened, is happening, and is documented by various news sources around the Internet.

When I applied for my DoD scholarship my investigator told me one important thing: do not have any social media account.

On 11/17/2020 at 6:24 PM, leech said:

Lorraine was being worked on since 82/83, the ST was supposedly thrown together in 5 months.  The Atari 1850XLD was targeted for the Lorraine chipset, according to some documents found.  That was all pre-Tramiel, who also split Atari as he didn't want the Arcade division.  It seems to me he basically was pissed that he got kicked out of Commodore, which he built from the ground up, and bought the Atari Computer division out of Anger just to compete with whatever Commodore worked on.  I mean to be fair, he succeeded in lasting longer than Commodore with Atari (though I think Sam Tramiel took over before Atari merged with JTS).  Warner Communications sold off the computer division for dirt cheap too, and was willing to sell the arcade division for cheap as well, but he didn't want it as he wasn't interested in video games.... buy a company mostly known for games, and not want to do games.....

Yeah, still convinced he did it out of anger...

Correct.  Jack got back into the computer business in order to get back at Commodore and wasn't ready to retire quite yet.  Also, if it wasn't for the 11th hour deal struck between Amiga and Commodore, the chipset would have gone to Atari and Commodore would have (most likely) been up sh*t creek without a paddle. 

Commodore were working on the CBM 900 platform, though it was even more business oriented and probably had a long way to go to be market ready. Quite possibly they would even more have decided to become a PC manufacturer with a twist (or pushing prices) than they actually became, knowing at first they entered that market as a gimmick and were taken aback at the fact the PC's really sold.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/17/2020 at 8:12 AM, R.Cade said:

That's really not true. The heart of the C64 was made by Charles Winterble, Al Charpentier, and Robert Yannes. They all actually left Commodore for other companies before the C64 was released.  Shiraz Shivji did go to Atari with Tramiel, but it's not clear what role (if any) he had with the C64. Certainly none of the major chip designs.

Wow - I'm an idiot...I never realized Yannes left before the C64 was actually launched, but I know Ensoniq very well (I own a SQ-80 - great synth), and should have realized this.  I believe the C64 was launched in 1982, the same year Ensoniq was started.  When Ensoniq released the Mirage, it was a big deal (I remember this very well, I have some old Ensoniq catalogs that I got around that time), but just never put 2+2 together.

You learn something new every day!!

On 11/18/2020 at 8:47 PM, mozartpc27 said:

In some level of seriousness, I have considered keeping personal financial records in GeoCalc128 because I figure that is as secure as possible.

This is one reason why I still maintain my household budget and account balancing on my C128.

• Like 2