IGNORED

Odyssey 2000 RF question

RMila75

I have retrieved my old Magnavox Odyssey 2000 unit from my parents basement and I notice the RF switch looks a bit crapped out. The RF plug on the cord from the unit looks a little different than the ones I'm used to (Atari, CV, Vic-20, etc.) My question is: can I plug this thing in to my RF-Coax F connector just like I do with my 2600 and CV? And can I use any other generic switch box other than the original Magnavox?

• 2 weeks later...

Or if you don't have any Odyssey RF switchboxes, you can replace the RF video cable coming out of the unit. Typically on all the Odyssey stuff I've cracked open the other end of that cord is a standard RCA jack. It simply unplugs from the inside. You have to open it up. Some models open up easily from when they accept batteries, you just need a screwdriver to take the PCB loose from the top half of the casing. If you have a spare, or like with the 7800 & Colecovision, they both come off from outside of the unit you could use one of them. Then connect to the F-type connector like you normally do with other consoles.

• 1 month later...

I was just getting ready to ask if anyone knew where I could get the right Magnavox RF adapter. I also couldn't tell if it was a different connector or a mangled RF so I e-mailed the guy with the website pong-story.com. He e-mailed me right back and explained that it needed a different, Magnavox-specific RF box. Instead, I'll break that puppy open tonight and see if I can replace the cable. Does the Odyssey 2000 use the same power adapter as the Atari 2600? :?

I was just getting ready to ask if anyone knew where I could get the right Magnavox RF adapter. I also couldn't tell if it was a different connector or a mangled RF so I e-mailed the guy with the website pong-story.com. He e-mailed me right back and explained that it needed a different, Magnavox-specific RF box. Instead, I'll break that puppy open tonight and see if I can replace the cable. Does the Odyssey 2000 use the same power adapter as the Atari 2600? :?

• 3 months later...

I got the same questions as above, I guess I need to pull out my Odyssey2 out of storage and get the RF box. And can you use a 2600 power suppy for a Odyssey2000? I also got a O-200 I need to test :)

edit: ack, My O2 doesn't have a RF box it just has a standard RF cord hardwired-in which goes into the Coax F connector. I opened up the O2000 and I need to get out some of my tools because the board is held in place by hexnuts and I can't see where the RF cord goes into the board. The 200 I opened up had the RF connection soldered into the board so I can't swap it out with a standard cable :(

I might be in the market for a Magnabox RF unit then.

I got the same questions as above, I guess I need to pull out my Odyssey2 out of storage and get the RF box.  And can you use a 2600 power suppy for a Odyssey2000?  I also got a O-200 I need to test  :)

edit: ack, My O2 doesn't have a RF box it just has a standard RF cord hardwired-in which goes into the Coax F connector.  I opened up the O2000 and I need to get out some of my tools because the board is held in place by hexnuts and I can't see where the RF cord goes into the board.  The 200 I opened up had the RF connection soldered into the board so I can't swap it out with a standard cable :(

I might be in the market for a Magnabox RF unit then.

I was told that it uses the same PS as the 2600 but I can't say that I've tried it because I have yet to get a Magnavox box or replace the cable.... :) Maybe I'll get off my rear and try to get that done. Please keep me updated with your progress.

Well, I got around to opening up the whole O-2000 and its RF cable is also soldered into the board, so no luck there :(

I'll let you know if I find a cheap source for the Magnavox RF boxes, I havne't seen one on eBay but I'm sure they are hiding under weird descriptions and titles :)

• 1 month later...
Well, I got around to opening up the whole O-2000 and its RF cable is also soldered into the board, so no luck there :(

I'll let you know if I find a cheap source for the Magnavox RF boxes, I havne't seen one on eBay but I'm sure they are hiding under weird descriptions and titles :)

I know I'm digging up an older thread, but the pong forums move at a slower pace anyways. :)

I just got an Odyssey 200 (also minus RF box) and was looking for info on it when I stumbled across this thread. If you haven't found a switchbox yet and still need to test it, I figured out that you can do so with a regular coax cable. All I did was insert the center wire of the coax into the hollow center of the Odyssey plug and then push/hold the Odyssey plug sideways until the post made contact with the outer section of the coax plug.

It's not a long-term solution (although you can hold it in place with a rubberband) but at least I was able to confirm that it worked, with crystal-clear reception I might add.

• 3 months later...

That's odd..the Odysseys I've found have all had the standard RCA tip that plugs into the tv/game switch. My odyssey^2, 300, and 500 all have the standard.

My Odyssey 1 is the only one with the unique plug and switchbox (which I would NEVER mod in my lifetime.) :ponder: