IGNORED

2600 Joystick & Paddle arcade controller...opinions & input requested

doubledown

On 12/5/2020 at 7:51 PM, doubledown said:

So I'm definitely warming up to the twin rotary control option (Paddle & Driving) on this arcade controller.  As I knew it was going to have a Paddle controller, I was already looking into my options for a knob for it.  I had considered the CX-30 paddle knob, an Atari Tempest arcade (and Warlords, and other games) knob, or something else completely different.  I really liked the idea of the Tempest style knob as it has Atari arcade pedigree; but as I grew up with the CX-30s, I wasn't sure if I would like the smaller arcade knob (1.25" diameter, w/ 1.75" skirt) versus the the larger CX-30 knob (1.75 diameter).  So I pulled out a set of paddles and played a couple of games of Kaboom with the stock knob, then swapped that out for a 3D printed Tempest knob reproduction that I have, and tried that.  And I have to say...I like the smaller Tempest knob more, way more.  So now with the possible addition of the Driving Controller, I checked it out with the CX-30 knob, and the Tempest knob, on Indy 500...and again I really like the Tempest knob way more.  So at this point I'm thinking, ok, I'll add the Driving Controller, and I'll get 2 Tempest knobs...1 for each.  But then I remembered that I have an original Super Breakout arcade control panel, and I thought that it had yet a different knob.  So I pulled it out, and found this:

00oTK7.jpg

On the left is an arcade original Atari Breakout knob, and on the right is a 3D printed Tempest reproduction knob.  So as there are 2 official Atari arcade knobs, I can use 1 for each controller...the original "tapered top" for the Paddle controller (arcade accurate), and the Tempest style "flat/recessed top" on the Driving Controller (also arcade accurate).  Plus with the slightly smaller manipulation diameters of these knobs (versus the CX-30 knobs), I was able to shift these 2 controllers a little closer together for overall ergonomics, and still achieve zero interference from one control to another, while manipulating either one.  Win, win, win!

I know I'm coming into this way late but I've been on the hunt for an arcade Breakout paddle knob.  Would it be possible for you to 3D scan the one you have so that I could take that file to someone with a 3D printer in order to make me one?  I've been Googling my fingers off, nothing.  Not even a whiff of paddle knob replacements, just spinners.

I don't have any way to 3d scan an object...but it could be probably be modeled pretty easily...its pretty simple geometric shapes.  For the 2 originals that I have gotten, I found them as "used" parts on ebay, and/or the KLOV forums.  I think 1 was as the loose control hardware from an arcade cabinet, and the 2nd I got as a complete control panel from the arcade cabinet.  

8 hours ago, doubledown said:

I don't have any way to 3d scan an object...but it could be probably be modeled pretty easily...its pretty simple geometric shapes.  For the 2 originals that I have gotten, I found them as "used" parts on ebay, and/or the KLOV forums.  I think 1 was as the loose control hardware from an arcade cabinet, and the 2nd I got as a complete control panel from the arcade cabinet.  

Dammit.  Ya, I was hoping that maybe someone around you had a way to do it (I think everyone but me has a 3D printer, everybody's a "maker" now, hahaaha) or knew somebody who could.  I know there are phone apps to scan objects, some require a special printed pad, not sure how accurate they are, though, I've never tried.  I looked on eBay before posting about it, nobody is selling one at the moment.

5 hours ago, doubledown said:

@ledzep...FYI...after about 1 minute of research this morning over at the KLOV forums, I found this:

LINK

I haven't verified the dimensions, but the few guys who were talking about it in the forums, seem to think its very, very close to the Atari originals.  

Yes, and until I asked the OP if he could explain what he meant by potential replacement, you couldn't find any mention of that style knob anywhere on the Internet, KLOV or otherwise (arcade game parts websites had no reference that I could find but of course I wasn't looking for that thing 10-20 years ago).  At least that KLOV thread also included the original Atari part number (Atari PN 73-801), which is of course useless since Atari doesn't make them anymore, but at least it was proof that that knob is not the same as the Tempest knob.  And the knob he was talking about was sold out, hahaaha.  But, turns out that was the wrong one?  Too big, someone else pointed out what would be a much closer match in terms of dimensions, the link you posted.  I think I'll order one or two of those, would be cool to use them on my 5200 paddles or some other paddle mod.

Right...the one I posted the link to was the 2nd "smaller one"...that isn't sold out...and supposedly closer to the original size.   

And the only reason I know about the Breakout/Super Breakout knob...is that I build a lot of home console "arcade-type" controllers, and I bought a Super Breakout control panel that was complete...but I was really initially only after the rare Super Breakout "Player Start" buttons.  As up until that time, I had always seen them (in pictures), with the Tempest style knob.  

2 hours ago, doubledown said:

Right...the one I posted the link to was the 2nd "smaller one"...that isn't sold out...and supposedly closer to the original size.   

Yes, and I guess it's more accurate to say that Atari no longer supplies that control knob, I doubt they were manufacturing their own parts, somebody was making them and selling them to Atari.  I wonder who the original supplier was.

2 hours ago, doubledown said:

And the only reason I know about the Breakout/Super Breakout knob...is that I build a lot of home console "arcade-type" controllers, and I bought a Super Breakout control panel that was complete...but I was really initially only after the rare Super Breakout "Player Start" buttons.  As up until that time, I had always seen them (in pictures), with the Tempest style knob.  

Oh, you mean like these things at the bottom (man, most pics are washed out, you can't even read the lettering)?

d801dcc3-694c-4ec2-9994-038291c4502b.png

Cocktail version -

s-l1200.webp

9 minutes ago, ledzep said:

Yes, and I guess it's more accurate to say that Atari no longer supplies that control knob, I doubt they were manufacturing their own parts, somebody was making them and selling them to Atari.  I wonder who the original supplier was.

Oh, you mean like these things at the bottom (man, most pics are washed out, you can't even read the lettering)?

d801dcc3-694c-4ec2-9994-038291c4502b.png

Atari was big enough back in the day, they may have designed/spec'ed them originally...but probably somebody else made them. 

Might not be washed out...the lettering usually wears off of those...hence the labels above them.  

11 minutes ago, ledzep said:

Cocktail version -

s-l1200.webp

I saw those on ebay today...note the paddle knobs missing...but trying to sell them for $149.  Granted the other components are also still pretty  rare.  

• 2 weeks later...