IGNORED

Jag CD overheating?

Desolate One

Hey guys, after a while of playing a game on my Jag CD the game will freeze and then when I try to restart it all I get is a red Jaguar splash screen and the disk doesn't spin. I currently have it hooked up to a tv on the second flat but when I set it up in the basement I didn't have this problem. Is my Jag CD going out or is it just shutting down due to the heat?

Thanks

Hey guys, after a while of playing a game on my Jag CD the game will freeze and then when I try to restart it all I get is a red Jaguar splash screen and the disk doesn't spin.  I currently have it hooked up to a tv on the second flat but when I set it up in the basement I didn't have this problem.  Is my Jag CD going out or is it just shutting down due to the heat?

Thanks

Sounds like a classic case of heat problems. I assume the ambient temperature up in the second flat is higher than in the basement. The CD unit and Jaguar are probably getting better cooling in the basement. Maybe a cooling fan blowing air over the Jaguar in the second flat could help alleviate the problem.

Also, what you may be setting the Jaguar on can be a source of problem. For example, I was stationed in Alaska 1994 (the year I bought my Jaguar from Far North Atari) and I used to set my Jaguar on my bed when I was playing Cybermorph & AVP. The Jaguar would set right on my comforter. After several hours of playing the Jaguar would get very, very hot due to the Jaguar sinking into the comforter and blocking the cooling vents on the side.

Something to think about if your Jaguar is sitting on something different in each location and the vents are getting blocked.

Regards,

Glenn

Once the problem happened while it was on my bed and the next time it happened it was sitting on a box in front of the tv. After the second time I popped in a cart to see if it was a problem with the CD read mech, but I got the same result (tried w/o Jag CD and it worked). I set the Jag CD unit on my vent (A/C is on) for a bit and popped it back on and it worked fine. It's definitely a heat issue.

The ambient temp is a lot higher up here. I think I will have to use a fan blowing directly on it.

Has anyone else had problems with heat w/ their Jag CD? Maybe I just have a dud?

Hello!

My Jaguar / CD-player combination shows sometimes a very strange behaviour:

Instead of starting the CD-game it shows the VLM. And the VLM lists the tracks of the CD (and the list content is correct), but when i let it play

one of the tracks (preferrable the first one which is for sure an AUDIO-track) it doesn't output the audio (CD keeps spinning, play-time i increasing etc, evrything looks normal).

I am not sure what causes this, it can't be overheating, because

it sometimes behaves like this even after days not being powered on.

Matthias

I hav ehad mine lock up after serveral hours of 'Mysting'. I think it's the voltage regulator IC that is located on the right hand side (looking from the front), just under where the hinge is.

Visible on the top right of this picture http://www.linkovitch.me.uk/jaguar/cdrepai...ag-underpcb.jpg

There are two side by side with no heatsinks, perhaps some additional venting in the side would help, perhaps a fan also?

I hav ehad mine lock up after serveral hours of 'Mysting'.  I think it's the voltage regulator IC that is located on the right hand side (looking from the front), just under where the hinge is.  

Visible on the top right of this picture http://www.linkovitch.me.uk/jaguar/cdrepai...ag-underpcb.jpg

There are two side by side with no heatsinks, perhaps some additional venting in the side would help, perhaps a fan also?

Yes yes, Myst would be the cause of my heating problems as well. I have plenty of small heatsinks from building computers and from old R/C cars that ran hot electronic speed controlls so another heatsink wouldn't be a problem to find, my concern would be space issues. Although the heatsinks I have are small, I don't think they're small enough to fit under the plastic cover. Well regardless this will be a weekend project where I have the time.

Has anyone tried anthing like this before? And if so wot were the results?

Thanks