IGNORED

Sega Nomad questions

maibock

I'm knew to this handheld system and would like to purchase one, since I'm getting more and more Genesis games. I noticed on ebay that there seems to be a battery adapter and an A/C adapter. I understand the A/C part, but what's with the battery pack? Isn't there a place for the batteries on the system? or Do I need the adapter to use batteries? or is it a rechargable adapter? I'm kind of confused with this.

Thanks

The basic Nomad unit consists of two parts. The first part is the Nomad itself. It's a little bit bigger than a Game Gear with most of the excess mass being from the console being thicker.

The second part of the console is a plastic shell that holds the batteries to power the system. This shell clips onto the back of the Nomad and allows it to operate.

There are some pehipheral devices.

You can get an AC adaptor. This will be of the same kind as used by the Game Gear, and will plug into a port on the top of the Nomad. When you have a power source plugged in through that port, you don't need anything clipped on the back.

There are a variety of battery packs. I'm told that Game Gear battery packs will work with the Nomad. If so, they plug into the same port used for the AC adaptor and don't require anything be hooked on the back of the system.

There is also the Sega PowerBack. This is a rechargable battery pack exclusively for the Nomad. It connects to the Nomad in exactly the same way the default battery shell connects to the back.

Hope this has helped.

So, if I want to use it with batteries I would need either the "battery pack" or the AC adapter? The DC adapter is for an electrical outlet?

Thanks for the help

you bonehead maibock! DC is with batteries(direct current) and AC is an electrical current(alternating currents)

Ditto. I'm actually looking into getting one too. Hell, wouldn't mind getting one of those NESp's either. Or SNESp's. If only there were a cheaper way to take this stuff with us. You'd need a backpack just to carry some games!

I was actually seriously considering making my own NESp out of my poor NES since I have a lot of extra stuff and the connector is dead. Either way, all I'd need is a suitable light LCD screen with the proper connectors.

Do they make genesis ones either for other systems or whatever that allow the standard A/V (Red, White, Yellow) connectors?

Once I had one of those, I'd just need to figure out powering.

Actually, I'd probably make a "Wearable" unit which would have a strap and the screen and controller would be connected via a wire instead of all in one. It's easier to make but not as convenient. But I like it.

And I could get a sega Genesis to use cheap.

Actually, if I had a power supply that could be battery powered that I could just plug into the existing port, I could just connect a strap to my Genesis and take it along instead of hacking it. Or NES. Either one. Or SNES or N64.

If you're looking to get a normal battery pack (one you put batteries in, not rechargable) I recommend http://www.sega-parts.com. They have new sega brand battery packs for $14.00 which is cheaper than you'll normally find on eBay or elsewhere.

btw the battery packs only last about 2 hours so plan on buy lot's of batteries or getting rechargables.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this, but I am currently circling some eBay Nomad auctions and am curious as to what one should be worth. If it has the system, power supply, battery pack (working) and a new screen for instance.

Just some ball park figures.

I found my nomad for ~$35 and came with a home brew power brick. I thought it was DOA for a while, but it turned out that the power brick was inadequate to run the Nomad. I adapted an old Master system brick and all is well. Then someone told me that the Game Gear / Nomad bricks are interchangable. DoH! :| The battery pack appears to snap on the back of the Nomad. As for buying one, I'd prolly pay around $50 for one, but I don't wander around with portables very often so....

Hex.

[ Last seen cleaning out the Freezer... ]

Sorry to bump this, but I am currently circling some eBay Nomad auctions and am curious as to what one should be worth. If it has the system, power supply, battery pack (working) and a new screen for instance.

Just some ball park figures.

When I was in the market, I saw them on ebay go from $60 all the way up over $120 and of course, it all depends on what's included. If you're planning on using it without the a/c adapter, I definitely recommend finding one with the rechargable battery pack. I'm finding the one that came with mine lasts between 2 1/2 - 3 hours. It's great for the kids(and dad) for long trips. After it runs down power it up with the A/C adapter overnight and you're ready to go the next day.

I got real lucky with mine since I believe the photo she had on ebay made it looked like the unit was "sun faded". All in all, I guess you should be around $80 with the A/C adapter and the rechargable battery pack(don't get this confused with the normal battery pack)

Cool. Now I have a ballpark figure. :)

Actually, I'm looking at one with a few games included. Some boxed. Thought I might as well try. If not for collection, but to actually play the games. It really makes me wish Nintendo had released a SNES version. (I'd take that over shrunk down GBA adaptations any day.) It's such a sweet deal. To carry my SNES with me and not have to pay that guy to make an SNESp for me.

But I set a limit to what I'll pay for it, so if I miss it, no big whoop. Just dreaming. Would be nice to play VectorMan or Comix Zone on the run.