IGNORED

Homebrew Developer Spotlight: John Champeau / Gorf Arcade Exclusive Debut

ZeroPage Homebrew

Homebrew Developer Spotlight on

John Champeau / ChampGames

John Champeau @johnnywc from Champ Games will be featured LIVE in a Developer Spotlight on Twitch this Friday Dec 18 at 6PM PT/9PM ET. His newest arcade ports of Zoo Keeper and Avalanche were just released through AtariAge and this Friday he will be debuting his newest homebrew, Gorf Arcade, live on Twitch!

WATCH LIVE: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

It will be given the full Champ Games treatment for the Atari 2600 and will feature all 5 arcade levels, 30 speech phrases, cut scenes, high score support and much more!

Also in this LIVE Developer Spotlight John will be taking us through his extensive history of game development from his early DOS and Atari 800 days through to his newest groundbreaking 2600 homebrews like Mappy, Wizard of War, Galagon, RobotWar:2684 and also NEVER BEFORE SEEN Champ Games WIP homebrews! You don't want to miss this!

GORF ARCADE INFO: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/298931-champ-games-gorf-arcade-2600/

EXCLUSIVE WORLD DEBUT

Gorf Arcade!

1125459713_20201215-JohnChampeauDeveloperSpotlight.thumb.jpg.7d3f292b10b7c1b54df5eb9bc568a85f.jpg

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Gorf Arcade has NEVER been released outside of the arcade with all the levels intact until now! It will be given the full Champ Games treatment for the Atari 2600 and will feature all 5 arcade levels, 30 speech phrases, cut scenes, high score support and much more!

All 5 levels???

4 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

and also NEVER BEFORE SEEN Champ Games WIP homebrews! You don't want to miss this!

NEVER BEFORE SEEN...it's all too much! I...can't...take...it!?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Karl G said:

It was a fun show/interview, and cool to see a sampling of John's games on the show. Just to be sure, was the potion of the interview that wasn't audible recorded in any manner, perchance?

Thanks so much! Sadly that portion of audio it wasn't recorded, the hardware capturing John at that point glitched out and the software wasn't getting the audio from him. Sorry about that!

- James

On 12/16/2020 at 2:39 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Gorf Arcade has NEVER been released outside of the arcade with all the levels intact until now! It will be given the full Champ Games treatment for the Atari 2600 and will feature all 5 arcade levels, 30 speech phrases, cut scenes, high score support and much more!

This isn't entirely accurate... there were homebrews of a Jaguar CD version that was briefly released (which is a deep well you probably don't want to go down), and a Gameboy Advance version that didn't see a cartridge release, but is available to play in emulation or on a GBA flash cart.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

This isn't entirely accurate... there were homebrews of a Jaguar CD version that was briefly released (which is a deep well you probably don't want to go down), and a Gameboy Advance version that didn't see a cartridge release, but is available to play in emulation or on a GBA flash cart.

Very true and I was also corrected on FB about the unlicensed versions. ? I was going off information I found listed on Wikipedia, it seems that they are quite averse to listing homebrew that aren't 'of note' in the entries.

2 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

It was a great spotlight. I wish I'd been able to catch all of it and will have to watch the rest sometime soon. The only thing that could have made it even better is a little more ??.

I still love Ladybug quite a bit. Very great port. It's an oldie but a goodie!

Thanks so much! More ?? is always needed, I'll see if I can line that up next time, hahah. Ladybug is an incredible port by John and we're so lucky to have him to fill in these much needed missing gaps in the 2600 lineup of arcade games!

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Great show (as always).

But somehow John's audio felt bad. He was sometimes very hard to understand, a bit mumbled or so. Or is that just me?

Thanks TJ! It wasn't too bad listening back just now, a lot of that will depend on the connection and microphone quality, I would rate it an average quality of sound but very listenable. To counterbalance the incoming audio quality I could EQ it a bit to take out some of the mids and low and bring up the highs a bit to make it a bit less muffled. Maybe next time!

- James

4 hours ago, Karl G said:

It was a fun show/interview, and cool to see a sampling of John's games on the show. Just to be sure, was the potion of the interview that wasn't audible recorded in any manner, perchance?

@ZeroPage Homebrew any chance that you and john could review those 10 mins and see if you can remember what the topics were about?  people seem to be really interested in the "missing minutes"

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Very true and I was also corrected on FB about the unlicensed versions. ? I was going off information I found listed on Wikipedia, it seems that they are quite averse to listing homebrew that aren't 'of note' in the entries.

Hmmm... Last time I checked, both were listed there (under Legacy).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, D Train said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew any chance that you and john could review those 10 mins and see if you can remember what the topics were about?  people seem to be really interested in the "missing minutes"

During the missing minutes he was talking about his kernel structure on Mappy and where he was able to place the HMOVES. From what I remember he said he was able to place them where the trampolines were as there was very little going on at that line. He also said that he used the ball for the doorknob and there were a massive number of kernels in Mappy.

- James

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Strum said:

Hmmm... Last time I checked, both were listed there (under Legacy).

Ahhh you're correct, they didn't explicitly say that those two versions included all the levels and I didn't dig any deeper after seeing the line of "due to copyright issues, the Galaxians mission was removed from almost all versions." I've removed the line from my original post at the top so people don't think this is the first homebrew that includes all five levels. ? Thanks!

- James

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew