jsoper

I had four 32Xs, but only one would work, two were dead, and

one intermittent. Cleaning the contacts didn't help, but remembered

a post from someone that advised unplugging and replugging the

two internal ribbon cables.

Had to remove 4 screws on the case, then 10 on the top RF shield,

but finally got everything open. Unplugged, then replugged both cables

a couple of times at each end, now all three are working. Either I'm

an exception, or this is the most common 32x failure mode.

Thanks a billion to whoever did that ribbon cable post.

Guess I should have tried that before I ditched the two that I had. :P Of course I only bought them to play Knuckles Chaotix, and when I couldn't get either one to work I gave up on that idea altogether. I think someone has emulated 32X by now though.

What about fixing the Gennys the 32Xs killed?

Has it actually been verified that the 32X can damage the Genesis? I've only ever seen this posted as a question, and I'd like to see some actual evidence that this is the case. Until then, I'll consider the 32X a coincidence.

And I'm fairly sure that Gens will emulate the 32X. I've never used it to do so though, so I'm not sure how good a job it does of it. Due to the complexity of the hardware, you'll probably need a decently speedy computer to do it well too (800 MHz? I guess that's not terribly fast, but I'm still running a 450 over here..)

--Zero

My GENS says it will emulate the 32x, but everytime I try a ROM, I get a blank screen. Maybe it's not perfected yet?

I doubt the 32x kills the actual Genesis. My cousin had one for years and the 32x died, while the Genesis lives on. Actually, I've never seen a dead Genesis, they built those suckers well. I have seen one that takes a little positioning of the wires to make go, but I figure some soldering will fix it right up (or so I've been told).

My GENS says it will emulate the 32x, but everytime I try a ROM, I get a blank screen. Maybe it's not perfected yet?

You need the 32x bios to make it run. Gens does a good job of emulating the 32x and the SegaCD. Let me know if you can't find the bios and I can send it to you.

I doubt the 32x kills the actual Genesis. My cousin had one for years and the 32x died, while the Genesis lives on. Actually, I've never seen a dead Genesis, they built those suckers well. .

And even if it does get killed, who cares? They're like the cheapest

consoles around right now. Just bought a loose gen2 at the flea market for $4 on the weekend.

Was hoping it was the later version that has the similar video chip as the gen3 (so it could do s-video) but no luck.

Back when my monthly income was $10 (at best), because Children Services was taking all of my social security money. Back when the 32X first came out, I got one, though sheer luck. I hooked it up to my Genesis and rented Star Wars, Doom, and that fighting game... I forget the name. Fun fun fun, but Doom had no ending! GAY. I borrowed Kolibri, fun fun fun. I put Madden 93 in it, turned the system on, and BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT. WTF?! I took the 32X off of the Genesis, and tried Sonic in it. Black screen, loud buzzing. Madden. Same. Urban Strike. Same. 32X and Kolibri. Same. My 32X killed my fucking Genesis. Nothing was dirty, nothing inside exploded or caught on fire. There was no visible damage, but when I turned the system on, it got HOT. First degree burn hot! I packaged the 32X up and took it to my friendly neighborhood used game store, and traded it for a working Genesis so I could still play the fucking games I owned. Don't tell me a 32X can't kill a Genesis, or I'll kill you.

Hmmm... this reminds me of the great 7800-killing-superchargers flamewar of 2001.

(And DON'T start that one again!)

To dilute some of this negative energy, I'm posting a link to a mini site update I did on

setting up and repairing 32Xs. There's

also new photos for a couple of the text articles:

www94.pair.com/jsoper/gen_32x_hookup.html

I will also attest that my original 89 made Genny has had a 32x upgrade sitting on it for well over two years now. I have even removed that 32x unit almost a dozen times when I want to play my power base adapter. And yes, I mess with the stupid clips each time because if they ain't there...my 32x games like to lock up tight.

And you know what....?

My Genesis is still working strong and has all this time. Until it happens to me personally or to someone I know personally, I say the whole 32x kills genesis systems is a bunch of damn bunk.

I do have a buzzing sound that I hear from time to time...but I found this to be caused by two things. One is that there is a cap leaking next to the headphone jack inside the unit...which can't be good but I haven't replaced it yet. And it will buzz when I have the genesis and 32x units too close to the back end of the TV. So..what I have is a 32x setup that buzzes occasionally due to 2 things I isolated that have nothing to do with my 32x in the least.

have fun...

8)

I still find Sega hardware to be more reliable than Sony. :sighs:

Yah. The fact that so many SegaCD and Saturn units stil work while the PS is near-legendary for it's high failure rate(at least initially, though the models that don't overheat are dying now) is sad.

Well, I've heard a lot of Saturns are approaching the end of their life now, but that still gives them a leg up on PlayStation since they lasted so much longer.