IGNORED

Microvision Homebrew - Barrage 2021

5-11under

• 2 months later...

It was over 10C outside today, so with the help of a heater pointing towards the 3D printer, I was able to print my first non-test piece (just the back cover, in gray). It fits fairly well; the design is pretty close.

There are some major issues, related to the supports on the bottom, which I think were too close together, and too large (you can see some of that at the edge). It's also warped - I'll need to investigate, but it might just be the resin I have - I decided to start with just very basic (cheaper) resin to get accustomed to the whole process. The top surface is also not too smooth - maybe I just need to wipe it right away with alcohol, before putting it into the cleaner.

image.png.e94d918d3b5399194d74af182b0c832a.png

No, the game will not be released in 2022. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

So eventually you'll print whole cartridges, right? How would you get the computer used in one?

Yes, the plan is to print whole cartridges.

The first post shows the board that goes into the shell. These are all new parts. It uses an ATMEGA328(P), programmed via the Arduino IDE.

• Like 1

I spent some time over the past couple of weeks, with a heater pointing towards the 3D resin printer in the garage, learning the ropes. There were many failures and messes, but I'm getting there. I think I've got the method or at least plan mostly figured out as far as position and angle of the parts during printing. The other good news is that the printer still seems to work well, with heater, and as long as the temperature is at least a little bit above freezing.

Only areas that are perfectly flat in the Z axis will print cleanly; all other faces/angles will have some level of stepping from layer to layer. Even if the stepping is minimal, scratching the surface with a fingernail will create visible marks. The cover below was printed vertically. Probably there's methods such as anti-aliasing and blurring and halving the Z stepping, but I'm still not sure how much that would improve things. Anyway, for the part below, I printed it "vertically" (such that it was about an inch tall). This resulted in minimal warping, and minimal stepping. I quickly sanded the surface with 600 grit wet sandpaper, and that got rid of imperfections. Probably in the future I should finish with a finer grit and/or polish.

I'm investigating getting all the required parts 3D scanned, so I don't have to design them from scratch (and I don't think cheap scanning methods will be very effective for this application). If this was a simple enclosure, I could design the pieces myself, but this shell is fairly complex (for me), and it would take many many hours to create.

image.png.8c26d52fd43a969b5a5c2f543458b43c.png

50 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

What 3D scanner do you prefer?  I was considering getting one but got that sinking feeling Creality and Revopoint products are finicky and troublesome for the cost.

I'm going to take the parts to a company who can scan them in high enough resolution, and do some clean-up of the files. Hopefully the cost is reasonable. I'm not really familiar with consumer/prosumer solutions.

• Like 1

I went to a couple of local companies, and didn't get very positive vibes on their 3D scanning capabilities, so I'm back to doing these in CAD. This will take more of my time, but on the other hand, it won't cost me any cash, and the designs will be easier to fix and update if required. I fixed a small problem with the back cover, and I've designed the PCB slider part. This second part went much better than the first part, so hopefully the remaining larger parts won't be too too difficult.

image.thumb.png.bd302b29ad89979ef4759c3e7808e603.png

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I'm still working on the shells... whenever I have spare time and still want to work, that is. Hopefully Barrage 2024. I have no plans for emulator support - that's beyond my expertise. I still plan to have instructions and demo code to program your own games, to be tested and played on a Microvision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thegoodwillgamer said:

That's looking great!  What else do you have beyond the shells?  Just manufacturing?

• Keyboard overlay: I think I can just use a thin lamination, similar to what I've used recently for Intellivision overlays.
  • LCD overlay: I can get the material, in clear form. I should be able to get some paint around the edges, in single color.
  • Box inserts: I've given up on the foam, and I'll be switching to some sort of cardboard insert to hold the cartridge.

Everything else I think is ready to go - ready for manufacture (with some items already done). I'll need to review a few things, such as figure out if it's going to be Barrage 2024, or something else.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

The shell is ready for a prototype. No use working on the last couple of percent until I get a couple of samples printed:

image.png.25816df7155349fbf1e586c23108aa6f.png

All printed assets were also finalized, including box, manual, label, keyboard overlay. Game renamed, again, to Barrage 2024. ;) Here's part of the box:

image.png.e6eb6cb791d8a3e4a60a73479ed2a0e1.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: the initial shell prototypes arrived. I've got a lot of minor modifications to make to the design, and hopefully in a few weeks or so I'll have new pieces in hand that fit like a glove.

All other assets are fully designed and figured out as far as production goes. Most recently the keyboard overlay, the screen overlay, and the cardboard insert that holds the game in the box (sorry, no foam at this point). I also designed the box bottom, which I didn't have prepared before.

Barrage 2021, 2022, and 2023 are dead ... ... ... Long live Barrage 2024!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...