IGNORED

Good news and bad news.

Chadivision

By the way, let me know if it runs on the Supercharger.  I think that the game is much more user friendly on an actual Atari.

I played it last night on my Supercharger. It is easier on the real 2600. I scored in the 300-400 range when I remembered to look at my score.

I see no one has downloaded the wav file I posted. It works, don't be afraid of trying it if you own a Supercharger.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all that Nathan was looking for was a bit of variety in the types of enemies, not an overall increase in difficulty.

Yep. There's plenty of difficulty as-is. But variety, as they say, is the spice of life. ;) I certainly didn't want to imply to make it more difficult, more quickly. I like the gradual difficulty increase (if anything, the appearance of the barriers could be even a little more gradual, but then, I'm a wimp). I was just offering up some possible ideas on additional gameplay elements.

That last message got me to thinking.. It'd be kinda cool to see crossfire on the 2600.  If it was even technically possible.

Oops. I meant Cross Force.

I had not really thought about making a PAL version, but that would be good idea. To be honest with you, I don't really know how to convert it. I think I'll have to see if anyone on the Stella list can help me. I plan to release the source code as soon as I get a chance to clean up the comments a little bit.

3) The game will slow down when you add the scanlines, so adjust the speed of the game to speed things back up to normal.

And if you want to avoid that, you can also leave the game at 262 scanlines. Most modern PAL TVs (not mine :sad:) and almost all VCRs (mine! :)) can sync to NTSC. Just make sure that you are always displaying an even number of scanlines.

:idea: Many original PAL conversions (e.g. Actvision) where done like Paul explained it. Some companies also enlarged the game area (e.g. Atari, Parker). And only a few (Imagic) also tried to adjust the gamespeed parameters (by using "fractional addition techniques" as suggested in the Stella Programmers Guide).

That should work pretty well for this game. I did use fractional pixel motion for the guns and the ships. The UFOs always move a 2 pixels per frame, but I could adjust that pretty easily.

I don't have a PAL TV. If I post the .bin can you test it for me.

I don't have a lot of time to work on this right now, but I would like to have a PAL version, so I'll try to get to it as soon as I can.