IGNORED

Spirit of the Samurai - in-development (for VCS store)

justclaws

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

If they can really pull off these graphics on the VCS it'll be a miracle, but they sure sound confident about it.

I don't see why they couldn't?   The gameplay looks like a 2D scroller with parallax, should not be an issue.    The 3D cut-scenes could be pre-rendered,  if the VCS couldn't render them in real-time.

• Like 1

I think the visuals are easily doable on the Atari VCS 800. The thing i really like about the Atari VCS is it's really good at running games that probably shouldn't be possible on it, if PC mode is anything to go by lol. I'm really looking forward to this releasing and i'll be grabbing it as soon as it drops on both platforms.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2024 at 1:07 PM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I think the visuals are easily doable on the Atari VCS 800. The thing i really like about the Atari VCS is it's really good at running games that probably shouldn't be possible on it, if PC mode is anything to go by lol. I'm really looking forward to this releasing and i'll be grabbing it as soon as it drops on both platforms.

People keep equating it to a Raspberry Pi.  You have to run a very lightweight DE on a Raspberry Pi.  I'm running a full Gnome desktop on my VCS 800, and the performance is perfectly fine.  That was before any tweaks beyond adding memory.  With some of the BIOS tweaks to increase VRAM, it's even more impressive.  Just don't expect 4k resolution in Unreal 4 engine games or anything, but going HD or FHD is usually fine.  Definitely can't do that on a RPi.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2024 at 3:27 PM, leech said:

People keep equating it to a Raspberry Pi.  You have to run a very lightweight DE on a Raspberry Pi.  I'm running a full Gnome desktop on my VCS 800, and the performance is perfectly fine.  That was before any tweaks beyond adding memory.  With some of the BIOS tweaks to increase VRAM, it's even more impressive.  Just don't expect 4k resolution in Unreal 4 engine games or anything, but going HD or FHD is usually fine.  Definitely can't do that on a RPi.

Yeah VCS works great as a desktop PC..  it's as solid as my main PC for typical tasks.   It just can't compete with high-end graphics cards.   When I use a Pi for desktop tasks, I can definitely feel the sluggish performance.   I don't experience that on the VCS

2 hours ago, zzip said:

Yeah VCS works great as a desktop PC..  it's as solid as my main PC for typical tasks.   It just can't compete with high-end graphics cards.   When I use a Pi for desktop tasks, I can definitely feel the sluggish performance.   I don't experience that on the VCS

Yeah, I am running Debian with Gnome on the VCS.  The RPi 4 might be able to handle it, but I think it'd be pretty sluggish.  I  have a RPi 400, but it's best suited to stuff like Amigakit.