IGNORED

Mother 5200 has birthed another.

leech

9 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

For illustration purposes only...  ?

(Glad you finally got one of those)

when I first pulled it out of the box, I was sure I could fit it inside where the 5200's controllers go.  Actually I think Atari meant for that cubby to be where hippies could store their weed.

• Haha 2

1) designed by Atari proper, based on 8bit hardware.

2) designed by GCC.

3) designed by Flare

4) designed by AMD.

While they all carry the logo, there is only one that is really designed and built by Atari.

Ha, fun thing about the VCS, it is the only one of the four that makes any noise.  Like the console's fan just randomly kicks in.  Price one pays for turning computer hardware into a console!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

It the new vcs (ataribox) console.  Glad they are finally out.  How much was it?

I think it was 339 with the two controllers (classic and modern)  now I am irritated they locked the secure boot loader, which limits which Linux distros you can install on it.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:46 PM, leech said:

I think it was 339 with the two controllers (classic and modern)  now I am irritated they locked the secure boot loader, which limits which Linux distros you can install on it.

Does the controller work with windows?  That joystick apparently also spins. Would be nice to have a spinner on a modern PC.

I still have a couple of Wingman Warrior sticks for use on older PCs where the goddamned thing will still work.  Great for playing Tempest and other paddle games.  

54 minutes ago, christo930 said:

Does the controller work with windows?  That joystick apparently also spins. Would be nice to have a spinner on a modern PC.

I still have a couple of Wingman Warrior sticks for use on older PCs where the goddamned thing will still work.  Great for playing Tempest and other paddle games.  

Works in Linux, next time I reboot I can test it in Windows.  The Spinner is sweet.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 2:38 PM, christo930 said:

Confirmed the joystick works in Windows 10.  Played Joust in Altirra and even managed to kill Pterry the first time she appears!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

Nice.  I had all the consoles (minus 2020 VCS) during their release.  My 2600 is in storage because I love the VCS 5200 adapter. 

I didn't want to take the soldering iron to my 5200 yet for the VCS adapter, and as I have an earlier model 4 port without the * by the serial, it looks like I need to do that.  I even bought the adapter, but haven't plugged it in yet.

The 2020 VCS is kind of a fun machine so far.  Just needs more new games to come out.  I think it should have shipped with 16gb of RAM though... and potentially more storage.  As the memory is split between Video and System memory, I just had Doom (2016) through Proton freeze during loading of my save game.