IGNORED

MAC/65 with SpartaDOS X

I still program using Mac/65 Cart ( I own versions 1.0 and 1.02 ). I usually use DOS XL 2.3 from OSS systems and it is designed to be used with the super cart with no issues. I would like to use Sparta DOS X though but have not been able to find a version ( on cart or disk ) that works without issues using the Mac/65 cartridges. I understand that disk versions of Mac/65 are available but I stick to the cart that has DDT built in.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I have a SpartaDOS X cart version 4.48 and it will boot fine with the MAC/65 cart plugged in piggy back on top. The problem is that when I enter DDT it freezes, or when I try to load source code from disk everything freezes. So obviously something is overwriting SpartaDos in memory and clubbing the process.

I use the disk based version with SDX and it works fine, obviously I don't have DDT but use BUG/65 and that

does have some minor issues, the main one is that it won't work with sub-directories, if you start BUG/65

in a folder, it moves you to the root of the drive, bit of a pain as even if you load it and try to load a binary

that's in a folder i.e. R #D:\MAC65\MYFILE.OBJ it says PARAMETER ERROR, so you have to move any files

you want to work on to the root of the disk before you can use them. 

2 hours ago, 8-bit and more said:

I have a SpartaDOS X cart version 4.48 and it will boot fine with the MAC/65 cart plugged in piggy back on top. The problem is that when I enter DDT it freezes, or when I try to load source code from disk everything freezes. So obviously something is overwriting SpartaDos in memory and clubbing the process.

I would rather suspect that it is a problem with OSS cart banking - @trub what do you think?

This probably would not help, but you could yet try to enter MAC/65 with CAR /I. This forces initialization of the cartridge. Also, make sure that there is no CAR.SAV file in the system (ECHO $CAR will display its location) which contains memory saved from another cartridge (although it should get invalidated automatically).

What is the SDX build you use, i.e. which type of cartridge is that?

9 minutes ago, drac030 said:

I would rather suspect that it is a problem with OSS cart banking - @trub what do you think?

This probably would not help, but you could yet try to enter MAC/65 with CAR /I. This forces initialization of the cartridge. Also, make sure that there is no CAR.SAV file in the system (ECHO $CAR will display its location) which contains memory saved from another cartridge (although it should get invalidated automatically).

What is the SDX build you use, i.e. which type of cartridge is that?

The cartridge is a Super Sparta Dos X 4.48 cart with realtime clock (pics included). I am using an original OSS Mac/65 ver 1.0 cart. I tried entering the cartridge with CAR /I but did not help. There is no CAR.SAV file either. Where can I type ECHO $CAR to see the location?

I really want to use the cartridge to take advantage of the date/time stamping. I know I can get an Ultimate 1MB internal upgrade and get SpartaDOS X with it but I really want to make this cartridge solution work for the nostalgic effect.

Thanks for the help.

20201230_114011.jpg

20201230_114046.jpg

20201230_114017.jpg

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

I use the disk based version with SDX and it works fine, obviously I don't have DDT but use BUG/65 and that

does have some minor issues, the main one is that it won't work with sub-directories, if you start BUG/65

in a folder, it moves you to the root of the drive, bit of a pain as even if you load it and try to load a binary

that's in a folder i.e. R #D:\MAC65\MYFILE.OBJ it says PARAMETER ERROR, so you have to move any files

you want to work on to the root of the disk before you can use them. 

Yeah I really want to stick with the DDT that comes on the cart. I am already used to using it and it works really well.

Interestingly enough, the Sparta DOS X 4.48 manual states:

Using MAC/65 and DDT with SDX MAC/65 works well with SDX, but DDT, the debugger in the MAC/65 cartridge, will not operate properly with the key buffer active (KEY ON). The simple solution is to either do a KEY OFF before entering the cartridge or not installing the key buffer at all.

I tried this but it still freezes when I try to load an existing source file from disk ( ENTER #D2:TEST.ASM ), for example.

@8-bit and more If this is supercart, make sure that you have the SDX Supercart build flashed into it - it happened in the past that Supercarts contained SIDE (or SIDE2, I do not remember) builds flashed into, which almost works except when you want to use the pass-through cartridge port (which SIDE does not have). Not everyone realizes that pass-through and non-pass-through SDX builds differ in code: the latter ones do not contain code which is necessary to manage the external cartridge.

ECHO $CAR - you type this at the DOS prompt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drac030 said:

@8-bit and more If this is supercart, make sure that you have the SDX Supercart build flashed into it - it happened in the past that Supercarts contained SIDE (or SIDE2, I do not remember) builds flashed into, which almost works except when you want to use the pass-through cartridge port (which SIDE does not have). Not everyone realizes that pass-through and non-pass-through SDX builds differ in code: the latter ones do not contain code which is necessary to manage the external cartridge.

ECHO $CAR - you type this at the DOS prompt.

When I type ECHO $CAR at the prompt it returns $CAR (as if it is not defined).

How can I determine if my cart has the SDX Supercart build?

thanks.

30 minutes ago, 8-bit and more said:

How can I flash this... Do I need special hardware?

I think no. I myself do not have the Supercart, but our corporate :D flasher should work. Go to the SDX website (in my sig), Download section. Check the Supercart version, then click download. The archive which arrives should contain an ATR disk image with the ROM file and the flasher. Attach it as D1 and run the flasher binary.

EDIT: also, the source of the wrongly flashed Supercarts should probably get informed about the mistake...

Edited by drac030
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, drac030 said:

I think no. I myself do not have the Supercart, but our corporate :D flasher should work. Go to the SDX website (in my sig), Download section. Check the Supercart version, then click download. The archive which arrives should contain an ATR disk image with the ROM file and the flasher. Attach it as D1 and run the flasher binary.

It worked! Thank you so much. Back to Assembly programming!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, drac030 said:

EDIT: also, the source of the wrongly flashed Supercarts should probably get informed about the mistake...

Agreed, I will let them know.

• 3 years later...

@drac030, I realize this is now a 3 year old thread, but I believe I got the same cart that @8-bit and more got (only slightly newer version (SDX 4.49), from the person that bought the rights to the board), and mine says it's a "SIDE2, pass-through".

Since the pass-through works on this one, should I bother replacing it with the SuperCart version ROM? I don't know what the different cartridge types do, so not sure if the important part was the pass-through or the SIDE2.

Also, how would I know if the cartridge has the ability to flash update on it, or should I just test and see?

Edited by CrystalKnight

There was a time when straight pass through was indeed nice, see the double tower of power posts, having the time clock and SDX on the super cart and allowing pass through for an AVG cart on top supplying a hard disk or other carts and functions. The AVG itself now provides a stacking function internally so you would only need the realtime clock function so an AVG with time clock cart does the same thing these days. There is a lot in common.

I would probably say some sort of choice for for pass through or controlled modes should be given. The wizards of cart and sdx programming could probably handle the programming and logic.

Edited by _The Doctor__

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

There was a time when straight pass through was indeed nice, see the double tower of power posts, having the time clock and SDX on the super cart and allowing pass through for an AVG cart on top supplying a hard disk or other carts and functions. The AVG itself now provides a stacking function internally so you would only need the realtime clock function so an AVG with time clock cart does the same thing these days.

I would probably say some sort of choice for for pass through or controlled modes should be given. The wizards of cart and sdx programming could probably handle the programming and logic.

Yes, I have an AVG CART (without clock) and a SUB CART (with clock), which are great, but I do still love my SDX cart, and I would like to correct the ROM on it if it does indeed need to be corrected, or if the original poster's only real problem was passthrough being disabled.

I'm probably fond of SDX since I still have my 4.20 version from the 80's, but now I have an updated cart with clock (versus multi-cart) 😁

11 hours ago, CrystalKnight said:

mine says it's a "SIDE2, pass-through"

It seems that there is a minor mistake in the build scripts and Supercart images are built with SIDE2 id instead of the Supercart id. But it is only a visual glitch, as the pass-through code is there, as indicated by XVER and by the fact that it works, as you say. The important part is "pass-through", as Supercart is basically a SIDE2 clone with a cart port added (and without the CF connector), so as far as the cartridge itself is concerned, they are compatible.

So no, there is no need to reflash, unless you want a newer version or so.

11 hours ago, CrystalKnight said:

Also, how would I know if the cartridge has the ability to flash update on it, or should I just test and see?

Most today's cartridges are flashable, I cannot think of anything now, that is not.

• Like 1