IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2021)

carlsson

I did a lot of 'bite-sized' Modern gaming this week on my Switch and in between doing stuff for work and the house.  XBox gaming was pretty much reserved for the weekend, for the most part.

Nintendo Switch:
Animal Crossing: New Horizons -- 420 minutes
Asteroids: Recharged -- 60 minutes
Black Widow: Recharged -- 60 minutes
Centipede: Recharged -- 60 minutes
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics -- 420 minutes
Dicey Dungeons -- 420 minutes
Littlewood -- 420 minutes
Missile Command: Recharged -- 60 minutes
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond -- 420 minutes
Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon -- 420 minutes

XBox Series X:
Back 4 Blood -- 600 minutes
Forza Horizon 5 -- 480 minutes

• Like 4

Week 50

Top games

1. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (Xbox One) - 1559 min.
2. Jurassic World Evolution 2 (PC) - 722 min.
3. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 627 min.
4. War Thunder (PC) - 620 min.
5. Back 4 Blood (Xbox Series X) - 600 min.
6. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 (PS2) - 557 min.
7. Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox Series X) - 480 min.
8. Microsoft Solitaire Collection (iOS) - 447 min.
9. Microsoft Sudoku (iOS) - 445 min.
10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 420 min. (#2)
10. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Switch) - 420 min.
10. Dicey Dungeons (Switch) - 420 min. (#3)
10. Littlewood (Switch) - 420 min. (#6)
10. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond (Switch) - 420 min.
10. Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon (Switch) - 420 min.

Top systems

1. Switch - 3076 min. (#1)
2. Xbox One - 2186 min. (#7)
3. Xbox Series X - 1454 min. (#3)
4. PC - 1413 min. (#2)
5. iOS - 1290 min. (#10)
6. PS2 - 899 min. (#4)
7. Browser based - 365 min. (#6)
8. Vita - 181 min.
9. GBA - 149 min.
10. DS - 120 min.

Total 11243 minutes and 50 different games on 11 different systems, with 8 participants.

Neither of the top 9 games this week were part of the top list last week. The one that did best is Skyrim Special Edition, almost 14 hours ahead of Jurassic World Evolution 2. However the most played system is the Switch with 13 different titles ranked #10 and below.

Again, in case anyone was late to post I'll include your numbers with the post-Christmas update next Tuesday. Like I mentioned last week, we'll run full weeks Monday - Sunday for the remainder of the year (20-26, 27-02).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

A relatively light week this time because I was busy with work. A few very unexpected games showed up this time, though. Can't have my last time entry this this year not some weird thing that I decided to torture myself with.

PC

Blue Reflection Second Light - 219
Embraced by Autumn - 76
Ginga Force - 41
Natsuki Chronicles - 64
Shin Megami Tensei Synchronicity Prologue - 59

Yes, that's right, there is a free official Shin Megami Tensei platforming game and it's quite good. I'd been meaning to try it for some time, but I forgot until I remembered (yes, I forgot until I remembered. The most eloquent thing I've ever written, I'm sure) it about a week ago. It's fairly difficult if you play it on the highest setting, but since it's Shin Megami Tensei, why would you do anything else? This is the prequel to Strange Journey or maybe deep Strange Journey. I bought deep Strange Journey a while ago. Maybe I'll get around to playing it, but as I don't really like Strange Journey to begin with, I doubt its enhanced port will change my opinion.

GBA
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 340
Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis - 87

You see that ^ ? Yes, I actually finished the game this time. Buys Analogue Pocket, uses it to play one of the worst ports of all time instead of actual good games. How very much like me. This game is so bad that it's horribly funny. Play it. You have to play it. It's so terrible that you need to play it. Don't pay for it, though. You know... find someone you know who has a copy and borrow it from them or... you know. Something like that.

Switch
Cotton Rock 'n' Roll - 57

Tea time again. The first entirely new Cotton game since whenever Rainbow Cotton was released on the Dreamcast like 20 years ago or whenever it was. Oddly enough, this game honestly looks like a widescreen Dreamcast game, and I am not sure if that is a good thing or not. Fun to play, though it has some noticeable slowdown in handheld mode.
R-Type II (R-Type Dimensions EX) - 7

Edited by Steven Pendleton
lol oops, I forgot Blue Reflection somehow
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I am way up north, but it feels like California. Weird winter.

Nintendo DS:

Pinball Deluxe - 150 minutes of frustration finally crowned in triumph over this janky but weirdly compelling game. 

D4CBBBDC-CFF1-44CB-990C-1A4BC57153E9.thumb.jpeg.3ea866943dfbad668c43e9ac3ad1dce6.jpeg

iOS:

Duolingo - 63 minutes

Pikmin Bloom - 99 minutes.

No Konami Pixel Puzzles.

Let the record show that I tried to play the Switch this week but I had unplugged the charger and the battery was dead. I charged it up but never got around to it again. Them's the breaks.

I also played a significant amount of PSP, but it was all classic arcade emulation.

• Like 4

GBA:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance -- 420 minutes
Yu-gi-oh!: Eternal Duelist Soul -- 120 minutes

Switch:
Animal Crossing: New Horizon -- 300 minutes
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics -- 300 minutes
Dicey Dungeons -- 300 minutes
Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition -- 120 minutes
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond -- 632 minutes
Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon -- 120 minutes

XBox Series X:
Back 4 Blood -- 120 minutes
Forza Horizon 5 -- 720 minutes

Nothing major to report, really.  I did forget how much I enjoyed playing FFTA; it's hard to believe the game came out EIGHTEEN years ago.

• Like 4

A nice mix of games both old and new from my household this week! I played a ton of Atari 2600 games, both for the High Score Club and just for my own enjoyment, and Mrs. Skippy joined in and played a lot of them too. I beat Fatal Run in one sitting for the HSC, beat Pitfall II with a pretty respectable score of 192,000 or so, and got a lot of enjoyment playing through the physical copies of Dungeon and Dungeon II: Solstice I got from the AtariAge store for Christmas this year.

Speaking of Christmas, I ended up getting half a dozen Switch games for Christmas and immediately set about playing Pokémon: Let's Go Eevee! and Sonic Forces. I'm not too far into Let's Go Eevee but it's pretty much everything I could want out of a Pokémon gen 1 remake! The graphics are beautiful, there's no more annoying random battles and you can actually see the pokémon wandering around in the grass and decide whether or not to approach them, and I really like the new motion controlled pokémon catching minigame. In spite of not battling wild Pokémon in this one there's still tons of trainer battles to do too, so it still feels like there's a more than enough battling to be done. I really wish they designed all the Pokémon games to play like this from here on out, since I feel like it totally fixes literally everything that always annoyed me about classic Pokémon games. :)

As far as Sonic Forces goes, I know all the critics ragged on it but after having finished the game this morning I'm kinda shocked to admit it but I think this is my new favorite modern Sonic game! The level design was fun and had a lot if variety, the music was pretty darn great, and being able to play as my fursona alongside Sonic and company with a meaningful role in the story delighted the kid in me in ways I can't even begin to adequately describe. It may not be the best Sonic game ever design wise, but for someone who grew up with the Sonic games on the Genesis, the Saturday morning Sonic cartoons and comics, and spent many long hours of my childhood daydreaming about being part of that world this game was a literal dream come true. :)

2021122623170200-CF98809EEE1B5F0F290A324B0E558A46.thumb.jpg.ff4713521bc694f19b9038e063f3a719.jpg

Ineligible
Dungeon (Atari 2600) - 23 minutes
Dungeon II: Solstice (Atari 2600) - 60 minutes
Fatal Run (Atari 2600) - 113 minutes
Klax (Atari 2600) - 75 minutes
Millipede (Atari 2600) - 5 minutes
Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 23 minutes
Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 15 minutes
Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (Atari 2600) - 28 minutes
Plaque Attack (Atari 2600) - 50 minutes
Space Invaders (Atari 2600) - 8 minutes
Venture Reloaded (Atari 2600) - 11 minutes
Xenophobe (Atari 2600) - 43 minutes

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)- 5 minutes

Nintendo Switch
Pokémon: Let's Go Eevee! - 440 minutes
Sonic Forces - 320 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,219 minutes (20 hours 19 minutes) [760 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Switch: 760 minutes
Atari 2600: 454 minutes
NES: 5 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 5

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 for Playstation 2 - 642 minutes

I'm still working on trying to get the rest of the capsules. In this game that requires getting through the main story mode, Dragon World many times while finding all the Dragon Balls on the map screen. Mosty of these are the Breakthrough capsules as well as Bulma's costumes for her skill shop appearance being randomized.

I maxed out Babidi's Spaceship mode mostly by doing the deflect-back as I was able to get the most points at a time that way, and Piccolo and Dabura were a couple of the easiest characters for me to time it right quickly. I think my highest record is with Piccolo.

• Like 5

Week 51

Top games

1. WarThunder (PC) - 800 min. (#4)
2. Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox Series X) - 720 min. (#7)
3. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 (PS2) - 642 min. (#6)
4. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond (Switch) - 632 min. (#10)
5. Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch) - 440 min.
6. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) - 420 min.
7. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (Xbox One) - 382 min. (#1)
8. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (GBA) - 340 min.
9. Sonic Forces (Switch) - 320 min.
10. Microsoft Solitaire Collection (iOS) - 314 min. (#8)

Top systems

1. Switch - 2716 min. (#1)
2. PC - 1634 min. (#4)
3. Xbox Series X - 1125 min. (#3)
4. GBA - 1004 min. (#9)
5. iOS - 802 min. (#5)
6. Xbox One - 678 min. (#2)
7. PS2 - 642 min. (#6)
8. Browser based - 255 min. (#7)
9. DS - 150 min. (#10)
10. Android Phone - 120 min.

Total 9156 minutes and 40 different games on 11 different systems, with 9 participants.

The penultimate week ends with WarThunder moving from #4 to #1, 80 minutes ahead of Forza Horizon 5. Although no single Switch game ranks higher than #4, on the systems list it dominates by over 13 hours.

I forgot to mention the big news last week when PUBG broke the 100,000 minute barrier! It is now up to 100,530 minutes. Quite likely though we'll have a new #2 after New Year's, as Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) is only 58 minutes behind Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Xbox One).

Have a happy New Year and see you next Tuesday!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Not much here this time, I think. Still, I got to play some really cool arcade games at Mikado, including 2 modern arcade games. They had Dariusburst and I REALLY regret not playing that, but I'll probably go back soon and try it.

GBA
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 242

So I've never played GBA Return of the King before and I think that a lot of the choices the devs made result in some aspects that are worse than they are in TTT and some that are better. Hard to say which is a better game overall, but ROTK has the Ranger Hollow and much better color and animations while TTT has a better selection of passive and active skills for all characters with one exception; Eowyn is probably the only character that actually is just plain better here, as she got a totally new set of awesome skills to replace her somewhat questionable TTT set while everyone else has sets of skills that are worse than what they got in TTT, sadly, and the new skill system is definitely a downgrade overall as well. Still a nice game, though, and definitely worth playing.
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 35

PC
Crimzon Clover World EXplosion - 87
Eschatos - 275

^ played it through midnight on the night of the 31st-1st, so in one session it became the last game I played last year and the first game I played this year. Definitely a good end and beginning, as it's one of the best shooters ever made and I love it more as I play it more. its two sequels below are still also extremely good, especially Ginga Force if you like the way Ginga Force works. If not, probably best to skip Ginga Force lol
Ginga Force - 176
Natsuki Chronicles - 114

Arcade
After Burner Climax - 10
OutRun2 - 5

Yes, real modern arcade games! After Burner Climax is one of those crazy and awesome moving Sega cabinets, just like the older After Burner games from the 80s, just with better graphics and deafeningly loud sound. You want some real Speed Shock, Visual Shock, and Sound Shock? Play After Burner Climax in the arcade. You won't regret it.

PS4
Battle Garegga Rev.2016 - 59

After getting my ass kicked at the arcade by Garegga, I went home and got my ass beat by Garegga at home, but this time I didn't have to pay for each credit/ass kicking. I also tried the new Rev.2016-exclusive Premium mode, which is why I've been tracking this as modern/PS4 the whole time instead of arcade, for the first time, and I got a 2CC on my first attempt despite never having even seen stages 5-7 before, as it's quite easy, which is a very weird thought to apply to Garegga. I never died once until stage 6 and I didn't even put in another credit until I game overed at the final boss, so this is definitely an easy way to approach Garegga without a lot of frustration. Even the brutally difficult regular arcade mode is a lot of fun, though. Definitely try Garegga if you want a challenge.

WonderSwan Color
Judgement Silversword Rebirth Edition - 36

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (December 27th, 2021 through January 2nd, 2022) on modern systems...

Browser-based:
Combat Online: 9 minutes
Taonga: Island Farm 357 minutes in 14 sessions

This week I continued playing Taonga: Island Farm, and for the first time managed to fill an entire ship order. My strategy may have changed a bit (again) in that I try to look at the other tasks as well to find out which one it makes sense to pursue next.

Combat Online is basically a first person shooter where you play against other people in 2 teams, in your browser. I got in a game where there is a battlefield with walls, Lava and other areas you can drown into. I'm not too interested in that type of game, that's why I didn't play it for so long.

• Like 5

Definitely a classic week, but not completely:

DS: Pinball Deluxe - 60 minutes. Finished setting nice high scores for all the tables. OK, I'm done here for a while.

GBA: Pinball Challenge Deluxe - 25 minutes. Just the Ignition table. No relation to the DS game, this is a remake of Pinball Dreams/Pinball Fantasies. The game is built to save high scores but Ubisoft manufactured it without an eeprom. I'd pay good money for a repro cart that has an eeprom...

iOS:

Recommendations and detailed thoughts here: 

Pinball Deluxe Reloaded - 55 minutes. No relation to EITHER of the above games, this is a great 2D Epic Pinball style collection with many excellent tables and a fun pinball/breakout fusion. Also on Steam and Android. Highly recommended.

Konami Pixel Puzzle Challenge - 50 minutes. Hit 120% completed finally.

Does Not Commute - 90 minutes. I wish this was ported everywhere because everybody ought to play this amazing game.

Pinball Wizard - 90 minutes. So close to hitting the mark exactly, this game takes a bad bounce and drains down the outlane, at least for my tastes.

Pikmin Bloom - 142 minutes.

Duolingo - 95 minutes.

Inks - 10 minutes. Not pinball, not my thing.

PinOut - 45 minutes. Not really pinball, but once you understand the ludicrously non-realistic way the flippers work, it's a ton of fun.

03BB5A45-8B34-4216-9570-929D966BA361.thumb.jpeg.aada2d7d96093cc7399f1ff8886a99dd.jpeg

• Like 4

Lots of Modern Gaming spread out over the last week (with some help from some time off).  I dusted off a Game Boy Advance favorite, played the usual suspects for the Switch (with the addition of Demon's Tilt), started a new run in Borderlands 3, and finished some seasonal stuff in Horizon 5 (along with working on in-game accolades).

GBA:
Pokemon Sapphire -- 900 minutes

Switch:
Animal Crossing: New Horizons -- 600 minutes
Black Widow: Recharged -- 60 minutes
Centipede: Recharged -- 60 minutes
Demon's Tilt -- 300 minutes
Dicey Dungeons -- 180 minutes
Littlewood -- 180 minutes
Missile Command: Recharged -- 60 minutes
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond -- 120 minutes

XBox Series X:
Borderlands 3 -- 240 minutes
Forza Horizon 5 -- 960 minutes

• Like 4

Xbox Series X

Halo Infinite: 432 minutes

Lawn Mowing Simulator: 165 minutes

MLB The Show 21: 119 minutes

Xbox One

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition: 585 minutes

PUBG: 322 minutes

iOS

Microsoft Solitaire Collection: 387 minutes

Microsoft Sudoku: 218 minutes

Pop! Blitz: 15 minutes

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, StormSurge said:

Xbox Series X

Halo Infinite: 432 minutes

Lawn Mowing Simulator: 165 minutes

MLB The Show 21: 119 minutes

Xbox One

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition: 585 minutes

PUBG: 322 minutes

iOS

Microsoft Solitaire Collection: 387 minutes

Microsoft Sudoku: 218 minutes

Pop! Blitz: 15 minutes

You mean 'Lawn Mowing Simulator' isn't, in fact, Horizon 5? ?

• Haha 4