IGNORED

1 of 3 games on Rom Tripplin

Itchy Scratchy

Here is an early version of the Tripplin Game (Tripple-Trippin) FROM SCRATCH (C) 2020

Will be 3 classic games from the 80's

v3.5 mind you I am on v19 working on bugs and polish.  This plus the 2 other games built into later revisions of this rom.  If I gave you v19 that would give away too much of the mystique.

So, I wanted to get your input.

If it works on real equipment because this seems to be an issue with our games right now.

Speed, stuttering, NTSC/EU if you can manage it.

There are no menus, no skill levels to set but if you press 1, 2 or 3 on keypad #1 during game play you activate Live Tiles (tm)

I have worked out the mines blowing up each other and I am not sure about everything that works and not on this version.

Shooting mines makes the score go haywire in this early bugged release.

2 players are working.  Shooting each other has been disabled.

No sound or music.

The play field is 100% random when the menu system is running because the seed value changes while waiting for you to select a game.  In this version it jumps strait to the game for testing purposes so the mines stay the same after each reset.

But, here you go for now.

100% Assembly Language

6000 lines of hand typed Code

Tripplin v3.5.rom

Edited by Itchy Scratchy
  • Like 2

Nice:)

I have noticed a little bug , just in case if you are interested in.   When i have shoot the blue square (i have rounded in blue on the picture).

The shoot stay permanently ... when the shoot reach the square, it appears back to the bottom of the screen then continue to the square...then again go to the bottom...and so on..

And you can not shoot anymore with the tank.

tank.PNG

Thanks Youki

Working out the kinks with the mines was a huge undertaking given the limits of the Colecovision memory.

The current version most of those kinks have been worked out.

When a round gets stuck then you can not shoot is part of the design (sort of)

To be fair in the game I made sure that you can only shoot one round at a time and in the case of buggy v3.5 if the one round is in limbo you can not fire again.

The discovery of programing:

To save space in Assembly I used many of the same routines and variables.  I was always conscious of the 32k limit with the address space because I am dealing with 3 games in 1.

So I write things in long hand then optimize to get the space I need.  In this case it was reusing everything.

I found out early on that every animated object in this world needed it's own moving routine and variable because in the case of the round it was so tied to the tank that if the tank changed direction the round would also go in that direction.

It produced interesting effects but hardly produced a game.

Then with two players you needed twice the amount so that is 4 sets of routines.

With 3 games then that is 12 sets of routines as you may start speculating while pulling your hair out.

The movement of the tanks are unique to the original game which makes it look like it is stuttering and even that was an interesting exercise to figure out because that is not normal movement for sprites but it eventually all came together.

Did you try the live tile feature yet?

To the fans I wanted to know if it was cool or just a gimmick because it is not something seen in any Coleco game I am aware of.  Of course it is 1 screen for two players then only player one can choose the setup.

Maybe I should just put this in the menu for two players and keep it in the one player version as live.

I have tested this on an emulator to make sure both tanks fire and move smoothly as far as what the system can handle.

It works with my real ADAM but I have had feedback that some of our games are not working on their setups so if you have the capability of testing it on a real one please let me know the result.

10 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Thanks Youki

Working out the kinks with the mines was a huge undertaking given the limits of the Colecovision memory.

The current version most of those kinks have been worked out.

When a round gets stuck then you can not shoot is part of the design (sort of)

To be fair in the game I made sure that you can only shoot one round at a time and in the case of buggy v3.5 if the one round is in limbo you can not fire again.

The discovery of programing:

To save space in Assembly I used many of the same routines and variables.  I was always conscious of the 32k limit with the address space because I am dealing with 3 games in 1.

So I write things in long hand then optimize to get the space I need.  In this case it was reusing everything.

I found out early on that every animated object in this world needed it's own moving routine and variable because in the case of the round it was so tied to the tank that if the tank changed direction the round would also go in that direction.

It produced interesting effects but hardly produced a game.

Then with two players you needed twice the amount so that is 4 sets of routines.

With 3 games then that is 12 sets of routines as you may start speculating while pulling your hair out.

The movement of the tanks are unique to the original game which makes it look like it is stuttering and even that was an interesting exercise to figure out because that is not normal movement for sprites but it eventually all came together.

Did you try the live tile feature yet?

To the fans I wanted to know if it was cool or just a gimmick because it is not something seen in any Coleco game I am aware of.  Of course it is 1 screen for two players then only player one can choose the setup.

Maybe I should just put this in the menu for two players and keep it in the one player version as live.

I have tested this on an emulator to make sure both tanks fire and move smoothly as far as what the system can handle.

It works with my real ADAM but I have had feedback that some of our games are not working on their setups so if you have the capability of testing it on a real one please let me know the result.

This ROM just loads to a blank black screen on the ADAM when loading from the ADE .

• Like 1