IGNORED

Does anyone fancy the Sega SG-1000?...

1024px-Sega-SG-1000-Console-Set.thumb.jpg.f7b227f10a09173b65ecb5474de012c2.jpg 

The Sega SG-1000 and the SG-1000 II were early Japanese game systems that were essentially the precursors to the Sega Mark III, which was an early version of the Sega Master System. There are a handful of games for the SG-1000. What are your thoughts of it and do you like the system enough to actually own one?? If so, would you like to see a widely available SD cart be made for it at some point??

Did you know that the SG-1000 board is almost an exact clone of the Colecovision?? 

Extensive info about the SG-1000 can be found here... https://segaretro.org/SG-1000

• Like 3

I almost bought one that I found recently, but then I realized that I have no games for it, I'd need the Card Catcher, and there is no point since I could just buy a Master System instead and use that, especially since I wouldn't need the Card Catcher, it has native RGB, and because I have the HD Retrovision cable for it. SG-1000 Choplifter is excellent and everyone needs to play it.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Something worth noting is that when you play SG-1000 roms via an Everdrive on a SMS, the color palate is wrong for all SG-1000 games. The colors are actually darker than they should be and it can be very distracting during game play on some games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 7800 said:

Something worth noting is that when you play SG-1000 roms via an Everdrive on a SMS, the color palate is wrong for all SG-1000 games. The colors are actually darker than they should be and it can be very distracting during game play on some games.

I noticed that, and was wondering whether to try to adjust my TV, good to know!

The little I've done so far, it's pretty amusing, Star Force, tho not my kind of game, seems very "good" for the time.

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yes, the Mark III and Master System don't have the TMS9918A that the SG-1000 does so its colors are off compared to the SG-1000. Mega Sg has the option to toggle between them, though.

Well(and I guess I could just check...).

I can also play SMS on Genesis, via flashcart, pretty certain it would play SG-1000 games as well-does the Genesis/Megadrive have the "proper" color palate for the SG-1000?

IIRC the video display processor on the Genesis straight out lacks some of the video modes from the 9918/9928/9929 so games trying to shift to those text based modes won't display at all. The majority of true SMS games operate in bitmapped mode if I understood correctly, which is why they're playable on the Genesis.

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yes, the Mark III and Master System don't have the TMS9918A that the SG-1000 does so its colors are off compared to the SG-1000. Mega Sg has the option to toggle between them, though.

I just spent the past hour trying to figure out how to adjust the VPN pallet settings on the Mega SG... no luck.

Any idea on how to do it? I have the latest firmware for it.

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

While it isn't SD card based, it should be noted that a traditional multicart already exists: http://www.sc3000-multicart.com/

Yes, but the person who makes this does not respond to emails... AND he will not include any game roms, one would have to know how or know somebody who can flash eproms... so, not exactly a "widely available" option. If he made it an SD cart and had communication skills... I'd definitely have one already.

58 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

I can also play SMS on Genesis, via flashcart, pretty certain it would play SG-1000 games as well-does the Genesis/Megadrive have the "proper" color palate for the SG-1000?

No, the only way to get the correct color pallet is to play the games on an actual SG-1000, clone system, or emulated... and apparently on the Mega SG if the color palette settings are changed.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I saw that the existing solution is quite some DIY requiring that the buyer has an EPROM programmer at hand. Regarding not including copyrighted ROMs, apparently it is to stay out of any form of legal issues but then again I suppose the tape library actually included is in some form of public domain or at least without a clear IP rights holder. Same probably goes for any memory card based solution you would come up with, offering the cartridge on its own and let people finding the content to put into it.

4 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

Genesis/MD can't play SG-1000 games, as it lacks something to do so. This is why F-16 Fighting Falcon doesn't work on it, as it needs something from the SG-1000 that the Genesis/MD lacks.

3 hours ago, 7800 said:

I just spent the past hour trying to figure out how to adjust the VPN pallet settings on the Mega SG... no luck.

Any idea on how to do it? I have the latest firmware for it.

Start SG-1000/Mark III/Master System game -> settings -> video -> extra features -> original TMS9918A palette

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Palettes/comparison are here:

https://www.smspower.org/Development/Palette

The Genesis/MD VPD removed all TMS9918 modes and only kept the SMS advanced modes.

The SMS had both modes obviously but with a different (generally darker) palette, playing Sega Galaga (SG-1000) on an SMS is frustrating due to dark blue enemy bullets on black background.

I do not own an SG-1000 but I do own 3 SMS (an US, a JP and an EU MD-II with VDP2) which I believe can all be simulated by the MegaSg.
There aren't very many games for SG-1000 so it's not exactly that you're missing out on a lot to begin with.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Start SG-1000/Mark III/Master System game -> settings -> video -> extra features -> original TMS9918A palette

Thanks. The Mega SG is proving to be a remarkable system... especially when coupled with a Mega SD. Sega CD, Megadrive, SMS, SG-1000 all in one and in HD. 

5 hours ago, mbd30 said:

I've never noticed the SG-1000 controllers before. They remind me of a more compact version of the Atari 7800 ProLines. They must kill your hand after awhile.

I never played the original SG-1000, but I have a SG-1000 II. I heard the original joysticks seen in the picture absolutely suck. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 12:41 AM, sixersfan105 said:

Yep, which is why Telegames sold a system in the US that was a two-in-one ColecoVision and SG-1000 clone called the Telegames Personal Arcade (known as the Dina in other markets). 

It was known as the DINA in the U.S., too. ?

I have one and really like it. I have a few SG-1000 cartridges for it and I think they're pretty cool. (N-Sub is a great arcade shooter!)

The DINA is usually considered a Colecovision clone first and foremost--likely owing to Telegames marketing it as such--but it's really more of an SG-1000 clone with Coleco functionality tacked on, which makes sense considering its Taiwanese origin.

I've read many different stories on how the ColecoVision hardware came to, including reference designs from TI supplying the VDP and PSG, various East Asian development houses and that Coleco themselves independently combined the three magic chips. The TI-99/4A (note the A) was released to customers in June 1981 and it had the new VDP with bitmap support. I like to think that sometime around then TI decided to convert their custom chipset into an off-the-shelf one, offering it to competitors after having been exclusive to TI for 1.5 years.

The SG-1000 was launched about 8-9 months after the ColecoVision so while they share key parts, if anything Sega imitated them. However we must not forget things like the Sord M5 computer which was released in Japan in late 1982, just after the ColecoVision, and for that matter the Spectravideo SVI-318/328 computers released in early 1983 and which made the basis for the MSX hardware standard. That said, if Sega had wanted they most probably could have made both a MSX console and home computer, and supplied a few more of their games to that system.

To put it briefly, most probably there was a scurry of events happening around 1982-83, and if TI indeed were having deals on chipset combos and offered reference designs, many different manufacturers could develop their own systems using the same bits and pieces. After all there are small differences in how these operate regarding interrupt signals, memory maps etc so it is not like they're perfect clones of eachother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We can add that in 1983 Sega released the SC-3000, which is an upgraded SG 1000 with a keyboard, more RAM and an upgraded video chip, making it a mini-computer. (and the basis for the future Master System)

It's not unlikely that, as with other systems of the era, Sega might have planned to have an ecosystem of console, computer (and arcade?) based on the same chips.

ob_02a50f_yeno-sc3000-pub.png

I really like Girl's Garden, the first game by Yuji Naka of Sonic the Hedgehog, NiGHTS, and Burning Rangers fame:

Having not played the Coleco version of Zaxxon, I don't know if that plays better, but the SG-1000 has really catchy music despite choppier scrolling. It's my favorite console port that I've played.

The library is slim, but it has some real gems. This is a pretty good overview: