IGNORED

Radofin 1292 advanced programmable video system

Timeline wise, the 2650 and 6502 are just about contemporary:

July 1975: Launch of 2650

Sept 1975: First sales of 6502

March 1976: Project started on 2650A which was used in all the 1292 and VC-4000 machines, ready to use some time in 1977.

Sept 1977: Launch of the Atari 2600 which features the 6507.

1978-79: The 2636 is not present in Signetics' catalog but must've been ready as the first APVS machines are from this period.

Sure the 2650 and 6502 came from different angles what they should be able to do but cost wise I'd think they played in roughly the same segment.

The 2650 was rather expensive at first. From Microcomputer Digest magazine, December 1975 (prices in $USD):

"The single unit prices for the 2650 were
reduced by more that 50%, dropping from $165
to $72. A 25-99 quantity price of $62 was
also announced. Signetics reports that the
price decrease represents the first in a
series of price reductions planned by the firm
as the 2650 progresses from small to large
volume production. The company also expects
to further reduce the price to $30-35 in the
early part of 1976."

Edited by Minuous
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On 9/14/2022 at 12:52 PM, Ricardo Cividanes da Silva said:

I'm looking for a really cool photo of the Radofin 1292 and I'd like to know if any of you have it for me.

EDIT: I just realised you're looking for the Radofin one in particular. Oops!

Are you still looking? The cover feature in issue #4 of NZ Retro is all about the Fountain game console (New Zealand 1292). I'm going to be shooting mine and all of the games (I have every game title boxed (the hobby module and three dual-game carts that were NZ only). Happy to send you shots - I have a pretty much brand new system in box.

I teased the magazine with this and hardly anyone got it. Jesus, people were guessing Mario! Haha. I was kinda surprised as the Fountain was REALLY popular here - more so than the Atari 2600.

image.thumb.png.2d1283be5a079068fcc5a89303f5030e.png

Edited by MantaNZ

On 12/6/2022 at 2:55 AM, Ricardo Cividanes da Silva said:

Guys, I'm so grateful for all the help, stories, and technical data on this console.

Finally, I was able to speak with Mr. Laury Scotty who confirmed that the project really was from Signetics and that they spread them all over Europe and Asia.

I would love to get some info/quotes from you for my article! Happy to plug the book too, of course! 

8 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

Are you still looking? The cover feature in issue #4 of NZ Retro is all about the Fountain game console (New Zealand 1292). I'm going to be shooting mine and all of the games (I have every game title boxed (the hobby module and three dual-game carts that were NZ only). Happy to send you shots - I have a pretty much brand new system in box.

I teased the magazine with this and hardly anyone got it. Jesus, people were guessing Mario! Haha. I was kinda surprised as the Fountain was REALLY popular here - more so than the Atari 2600.

I'm still looking for. Here in Brazil it is virtually impossible to find it, but the system was really very popular in Asia and Oceania.

I really get very grateful for any information and images I can send me!

I will send my email to you in a message.

Thanks!

I would love to get some info/quotes from you for my article! Happy to plug the book too, of course! 

The text of the book is in Brazilian Portuguese, but I can translate into English.

I don't believe I closed all the gaps of the fantastic story of these consoles, but I got a lot of information and compiled them, trying to be as faithful as possible to the dates and people who were part of it.

Feel free to ask. I love to exchange more information.

As for the book, I am talking to some publishers about the publication of the book and I hope to publish the first part in 2023.

• Like 2