IGNORED

Tandy 1000SX Booting Problems

TheMightyThor

I'm hoping somebody here can help me... I recently inherited my dad's old Tandy 1000SX (the serial number is 000039!). I remember playing games on this thing as a kid, so I figured I'd hook it up and see if could get it working. Maybe keep it, maybe try to sell it.

Anyways, all the parts are there. I got it all hooked up, powered the thing on, but now I'm stuck at a screen that reads "Memory Size = 640k" and I get crazy beeping noises when I try to boot it. Here's what typically happens:

1) Power on

2) Screen goes to "Memory Size = 640k"

3) The A: drive does it's little processing noise, and then the second floppy drive does too.

4) I load the boot disk.

5) You can hear the A: drive processing the boot disk.

6) BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP (non-stop)

7) I hit enter

8) The computer just sits there and does nothing.

I've tried variations of this (ex. loading the boot disk at different times, trying some of the other backup boot disks), but it's always the same result. The beeping is constant (not in a pattern).

I know my way around computers to some degree, but I'm not a computer expert, and I'm DEFINITELY not a Tandy expert! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to show my kids some of the old games I played when I was their age.

Tandy.jpg

• 1 month later...

I can't help you too much, but https://archive.org/details/Sams_Computerfacts_Tandy_Model_1000SX_Computer_1987_Howard_Sams is a comprehensive technical manual. It's a start and it's free, I have to cough up $22 for the version for my Compaq Portable!  There's also a "Technical Reference Manual" for the 1000SX at archive.org