IGNORED

My Ms. Pac-Man 2600 Hacks

NamcoPlayer

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 4:02 PM, 4ever2600 said:

Another dumb question only because I'm ignorant of what Pac Pollux even is.  Is that a homebrew written from scratch or a hack of Mspacman itself?  Looks like a hack.  Just curious.

The folks involved with the Pac Pollux and Pac Nestor hacks for the 2600, 5200 and 7800 that came out around 15 years ago had permission form the creator of Nestor & Pollux to do so. One was built on top of homebrew code, The other 2 where straight up graphical hacks of the Atari originals with the new IP's of Nestor & Pollux added in to mimic the flash game and comic book story around it.

On 2/1/2021 at 12:33 PM, 4ever2600 said:

So was the one posted here that triggered the foul play warning the homebrew version or the hacks of the original Atari 2600 games?

I must have missed that as I think the OP corrected before I saw it.

I'm not sure. When they said "arcade" I was originally thinking it was a hack of one of the other pacman games that was by someone else built from the ground up with Nestor & Pollux hacked into that. If it was just plain old Ms. Pacman with Pollux it would still be a bit annoying and a bit of a swipe as that avenue has been explored long ago by others with the consent of at least the new subjects rights (I was part of that group) but I guess it would be less faux pas than tacking it onto a full on homebrew. None of us really have the right to the trade dress or IP of Pacman even if the big companies turn a blind eye to them. It is however in poor taste to copy or repeat the work of others in the modern Atari community. Unwritten rules of the road and all that.