IGNORED

LAST DAY - Rotary Controllers up on eBay

Tyrant

I ment to put this up last week, but I've been kinda busy (and also hooked on Crystal Mines II hehe, evil thing that it is).

Just wanted to let you all know I've just put up 3 rotaries in a dutch auction on eBay, complete with a new layout for my auctions and more quotes from peoples reviews. You can find the auction here on eBay.co.uk or eBay.com.

Good luck everyone.

Just an update on this, there are only 3 days left, and these look like they're going to go quite cheaply, I think I kinda got the timing wrong lol, with all these other new releases and shows. Ah well, here's your chance to snag some cheap rotaries ppl :).

Just an update on this, there are only 3 days left, and these look like they're going to go quite cheaply, I think I kinda got the timing wrong lol, with all these other new releases and shows. Ah well, here's your chance to snag some cheap rotaries ppl :).

Woudln't it just be better to simply cancel the auctions and sell them to the highest private offer at a later date? That's cool, right? Nobody would mind I'm sure. Everyone else seems to do it, so it must be okay.

Woudln't it just be better to simply cancel the auctions and sell them to the highest private offer at a later date? That's cool, right? Nobody would mind I'm sure. Everyone else seems to do it, so it must be okay.

Nope, I dont work that way. Besides, the starting price is set so my costs are covered and I'll get some profit to cover the time spent making it. While more money is always welcome (especially since I've no proper job at the moment), I make sure each auction will cover all my costs. I think its really terrible to pull an auction part way through, an ebay auction is after all a contract, and ebay allows you to set both a reserve, and starting price, so there's no reason anyone should make a loss selling that way, just perhaps not as big a profit as they'd hoped for.

The original reason for selling them via ebay was that I only made a few at a time, due to being very busy, and so I wanted to avoid the problems that have happened with other games, namely Battlesphere, where demand outstripped supply very quickly and left a lot of people unhappy. I figured that if I started a waiting list, it could be full before many people even knew it existed, and so I figured eBay was the best solution, that way people who were desperate for one could pay more and get it soon, but the more patient people could get them cheaper as time went on and demand died down. Also with my auctions lasting for 5 or 7 days, there's no reason people should miss them, as most people check here at least once a week.

In preparation for JFUK I made a fairly big batch, and since not all of them sold I brough quite a lot back. However, supplies are still fairly limited and I dont have many new sealed controlers to make more rotaries up with when the current stockpile clears, so I think I'll still stick with the eBay route. Dispite all its evils (not least the fee's, ouch), I still think its the most fair way to handle a market where supply is less than demand.

Nope, I dont work that way. Besides, the starting price is set so my costs are covered and I'll get some profit to cover the time spent making it. While more money is always welcome (especially since I've no proper job at the moment), I make sure each auction will cover all my costs

Were you not one of the guys defending that clown who cancelled his Soulstar auction because he wanted to take a private offer?

Or, were you just taking advantage of a great opportunity to take a viewpoint that opposed mine so you could start a flamewar?

:dunce:

The original reason for selling them via ebay was that I only made a few at a time, due to being very busy, and so I wanted to avoid the problems that have happened with other games, namely Battlesphere, where demand outstripped supply very quickly and left a lot of people unhappy. I figured that if I started a waiting list, it could be full before many people even knew it existed, and so I figured eBay was the best solution, that way people who were desperate for one could pay more and get it soon, but the more patient people could get them cheaper as time went on and demand died down. Also with my auctions lasting for 5 or 7 days, there's no reason people should miss them, as most people check here at least once a week.

Yeah. Right. This WHOLE "problem" of "demand outstripping supply" leaving "a lot of people unhappy" with BattleSphere could have been COMPLETELY avoided if we had only realized that all we had to do was sell a handful on EBAY!

D'OH!

Oh wait... if we had gone that route we would have gotten flamed by Tyrant for being selfish money grubbing jerks.

:woozy:

Nope, you've got me mistaken for someone else there my friend. I wasnt even reading AA when all the soul star crap happened. As much fun as interesting confrontations between yourself and I are, it would take a stupidly large amount of money to persuade me to pull an ebay auction (for something other than a rotary hehe, if someone offered me a huge amount of money for one of those I'd just send them another one without having to cancel the auction :D).

Yeah. Right. This WHOLE "problem" of "demand outstripping supply" leaving "a lot of people unhappy" with BattleSphere could have been COMPLETELY avoided if we had only realized that all we had to do was sell a handful on EBAY!

D'OH!

Oh wait... if we had gone that route we would have gotten flamed by Tyrant for being selfish money grubbing jerks.

:woozy:

Oi! Stop trying to start another flamewar, I said it was a solution for my product, not yours.

There are very few solutions for a market where demand is substantially higher than supply, ebay is one option, and suits me fine, for many reasons it dosnt suit you or your buisness model. Im not questioning or complaining about how you did things, but around the time I was first making these, I had like 2 of them ready to sell, thus ebay was the best solution, and has served me well ever since.

In a perfect world I'd have time, space, and materials to make them almost on demand, but I dont, so I do what I can. In a perfect world you'd have the time, space and materials to make a new copy of bs:g every time one was ordered, but you dont, and hence people who missed getting on the waiting lists, which were I believe full within a matter of hours, dont have copies. Thats fine, I dont care how you run your buisness, I wasnt attacking you, just using you as an example of why waiting lists are a bad solution for the people who only check once a week. Perfect worlds are very hard to find, lets try not to make this one any worse by arguing eh?

Nope, you've got me mistaken for someone else there my friend. I wasnt even reading AA when all the soul star crap happened. As much fun as interesting confrontations between yourself and I are, it would take a stupidly large amount of money to persuade me to pull an ebay auction (for something other than a rotary hehe, if someone offered me a huge amount of money for one of those I'd just send them another one without having to cancel the auction :D).

I must be thinking of someone else then. My bad. At least you seem to indicate that pulling an auction is bad practice. A lot of folks seemed to think this was acceptable business.