IGNORED

6 Switch hex buffer wiring Schematic kerfuffle

Gpizano

I've just received a heavy sixer that looks like it was dug out of the dump with the "ET the Extra Terrestrial" cartridges in the New Mexico land fill... 

Powered it up and no screen. Not a flicker. Nada. Nothing. I pulled it apart and it was full of critters, creatures and varmints. It also looked like it had potentially spent some of its life outside. The RF cable end was pretty much rotted off.

But the thing that really caught my eye was the hex buffer. Apparently this thing was a Sears refurb with an Atari 2600 top cover put back on it, NOT a Telegames top. AAAAANYways, the solder job on the hex buffer looks like a dogs breakfast. In fact, it looks like tabs are missing. I was looking at the Service Manual schematics for this board, and no where does it mention the hex buffer... am I missing something? I want to be able to meter out the chip legs to see if they are actually connecting to shit.

Fairly new to the 2600 game... can anyone clarify this for me? 

IMG_2432.JPG

3 hours ago, Gpizano said:

I've looked at these and cannot, for the life of me, distinguish where the Hex Buffer is in this schematic.

First make sure you are looking at the CX2600 schematic, it is not present in the CX2600A (or at least not shown) the gate symbols are triangles each containing a letter from a to f.

Two are positioned between pin 6 of the controller ports and pins 35 & 36 of the TIA, the other 4 are positioned above the TIA and connected to pins 2, 5, 7 & 8.