IGNORED

Atarimania News / Updates

Here's another very special one unearthed by John Hardie again!

Introducing a prototype / work-in-progress of the UK-released Graphic Arts Department which, surprisingly, was made in the US by Looking Glass Software (note how Databyte credited the coders but removed any mention of the developer!):

• Like 4

4 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Thank you very much for your help, I found your message from a few years back and am happy that you didn't forget about these tapes.

Much appreciated :)

Thank you. I try to keep my commitments, but sometimes I'm a little slow in the turn-around. ;)

I think I have some disks that haven't been dumped as of yet (I was an Oasis BBS Sysop, and I think I have a registered copy of Omnicom). is there a preferred method for dumping these?

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

For unprotected / cracked copies, .atr files would be perfect. Do you have originals as well?

Yes, I have originals. I also picked up a Kryoflux so will be figuring that out to see if that will work (I have a bunch of floppies that I got from other folks that I can test on to see if things are working before I try this on the originals).

More as I know it. Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DjayBee said:

AFAIK was this dumped from an original disk (vs. "Missing original disk image!" on your page).

The dump is the one from the ASPI torrent, dumped by @Atarigrub as noted on our page. 

"Missing original disk image!" is a bit misleading but it means a second copy is needed to mark the program as fully verified. If you consider that your fix makes the disk 100% identical to an original, I'll remove that line.

5 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

The dump is the one from the ASPI torrent, dumped by @Atarigrub as noted on our page. 

"Missing original disk image!" is a bit misleading but it means a second copy is needed to mark the program as fully verified. If you consider that your fix makes the disk 100% identical to an original, I'll remove that line.

I think it would be better if it said "Image unverified" or something similar, I thought it was like what has been done at a8preservation.com

At a8preservation.com some disk entries have a thumbnail image of the floppy, others have the message "There is no image available for this release." where the thumbnail would be.

1 hour ago, Philsan said:

I've tested Eidolon Contruction Set, one of the latest cool updates.

Which The Eidolon ATR should I use? I always get "Error Program Aborted".

I had the same problem. If memory serves, the first thing you need to do is "update" the game by choosing option "2" from the first menu. Follow the instructions, you should be fine and be able to load the editor.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

I had the same problem. If memory serves, the first thing you need to do is "update" the game by choosing option "2" from the first menu. Follow the instructions, you should be fine and be able to load the editor.

It worked, thanks!

DOS, DOS II, DOS3, DOS 2.5, DOS 4 are the versions.

It gets difficult because revision numbers get confused with version numbers, the only way this all gets sorted out is if a forensic look at them takes place. This is DOS 2. Some people think oh we'll just go by date, but in house many little sub revisions and parallel versions with their revisions were going on. revision 2.4 is a couple months before this so it looks to be in line with development timelines. It wasn't out of the norm for developers to have some of the interim revisions, as sometimes the revision answers a request or problem discovered by a developer.

Sometimes outside parties would employ their own changes and made up their own numbers and dates to identify their work as well. These normally conflict with Atari created timelines. Since the numbers follow the date, version, and revision time lines consistent within Atari, I'd say it's been done by Atari or one of it's contractors to lower it's location.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

They are nearly identical.

It seems that DOS.SYS has some real but very minor code changes like the one visisble here:

image.thumb.png.f0c540fd657ff89a27c442917681fccb.png

From a first glance it seems that DUP.SYS is identical with two small exceptions:

- DOS 2.8's main menu is 8 bytes longer than the one from DOS 2.0

- DOS 2.8 was assembled to a different location memory ($1EDV instead of $1F0C)

image.thumb.png.bade6ae73611fc28f7f61aba44b84cc8.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Giving some well-deserved visibility to the ill-fated GOE from Total Control Systems with this demo:

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-goe_41156.html

Quite a shame this didn't make it...

Thanks!

Doing researches, I found the guy who wrote this article has three versions of the program:

https://atari-owner.com/club/articles/gui-graphic-operating-systems-on-the-atari-8-bit-home-computers.47/

• Like 1