IGNORED

Ato by Tiny Warrior Games (In VCS Store)

justclaws

Ato is released from Tiny Warrior Games, and is in the VCS Store today. $14.99
It's on Steam, but only for Windows, and in a new version for the Linux AtariOS.

"A world of Beauty and Mystery, Emotive Animations, Atmospheric Environments,
 Visually Driven Story, Metroidvania Exploration and Memorable Sword Duels."

This is from the same developer as "Frog Hop"; this game already has a fan base.

• Like 1

Yes, several of the games for the VCS were until now only for Windows, via Steam.
It's good to see that developers are specifically building new versions for the VCS,
and this is also of benefit to Linux gaming, by legitimising it further as a platform.

(In another thread, WonderOS was mentioned. I hoped that WonderOS would be a
way to help Android developers also to bring their games to the AtariVCS, not via
an Android sub-system for AtariOS, but as a help in building new native versions.
As a gaming platform, I hate Android; it's too bloated, but some games are great.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justclaws said:

Yes, several of the games for the VCS were until now only for Windows, via Steam.
It's good to see that developers are specifically building new versions for the VCS,
and this is also of benefit to Linux gaming, by legitimising it further as a platform.

(In another thread, WonderOS was mentioned. I hoped that WonderOS would be a
way to help Android developers also to bring their games to the AtariVCS, not via
an Android sub-system for AtariOS, but as a help in building new native versions.
As a gaming platform, I hate Android; it's too bloated, but some games are great.)

It is only a benefit to Linux if the developers also release it for Linux though. 

26 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Ato looks pretty good, although I am not personally a fan of the "metroidvania" thing as I often find the region gating puzzles to be obtuse and annoying. Would love to know how easy it is to get "stuck" in this game. 

Some of them are 'asshole' games.  (Which is really what they mean by Souls-like).  Like Dead Cells.  But if it is designed well, I like the genre.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just recently completed this game on the Accessible difficulty setting. It took me a little over 9 hours according the save game slot. I was a little skeptical of this game because there seemed to be so many combos to remember but the game ramped up gradually enough that I didn't find it too overwhelming. I really enjoyed it. Great artwork, fun gameplay, and I never got too frustrated although I must confess that some of my victories felt more like luck than skill.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, OBLIVION23 said:

I had a lot of fun with this game playing it on the normal difficulty level. I died a lot but it never felt like a chore. Until the end boss.  The end boss is a just a little too overpowered I think. Then again maybe I just need to "get good"

The end boss was definitely an example where I felt I just got lucky. I kept getting absolutely crushed and then I somehow came up with a victory and I didn't feel like I had that "aha" moment of insight on a strategy to beat him. I am pretty sure that I would not have defeated the game on normal difficulty. There is a video on YouTube of a player defeating all bosses in h3ll mode.

This video helped me formulate a strategy for the Little Warrior logo boss which had also given me a lot of trouble.

• Like 1