IGNORED

Atari 800: BIT3 FullView vs XEP80 showdown....

Faicuai

46 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

However, you use the Y/Luma input from Component (on the video processor, or CRT/LCD if present) to capture as much bandwidth and sharpness from the XEP80 signal

That depends on the device, the LG2382DL I have been testing with composite does have component input but gives an "out of range" message when connected/selected.

58 minutes ago, BillC said:

That depends on the device, the LG2382DL I have been testing with composite does have component input but gives an "out of range" message when connected/selected.

Agree, and that means the LG2382DL just does not have the bandwidth on that port or lacks the analog-decode intelligence to handle the XEP's signal.

The XEP image quality will be highly rewarding, but it is hard on most display setups, unfortunately. You will need to keep experimenting with the LG2382DL inputs and settings until you find the best compromise...

Edited by Faicuai

3 hours ago, phaeron said:

As for the Altirra XEP80 driver, you need the updated version. The Additions disk from the beta releases is attached, it has the v0.7 driver and XEPVHOLD.COM, the machine-language version of this program.

Thanks for the BETA release ATR. I have tested both the XEP80 0.5 Release and 0.7 Beta drivers, all give the same display with the top/bottom/right side cut off on the LG2382DL, XEP80VHOLD.COM fixes the top/bottom issue with all of them. They also all have the last 3 characters of the 80 column display cut off, while in BASIC a POKE 83,76 prevents characters from disappearing off the right side of the display.

While not ideal it does give usable display as long as lines are no longer than 77 characters.

PS: It would be interesting to see how much difference it would make using the XEP80 signal to the luma pin of the s-video input, but I don't have an RCA to s-video adapter.

Edited by BillC

4 hours ago, BillC said:

Thanks for the BETA release ATR. I have tested both the XEP80 0.5 Release and 0.7 Beta drivers, all give the same display with the top/bottom/right side cut off on the LG2382DL, XEP80VHOLD.COM fixes the top/bottom issue with all of them. They also all have the last 3 characters of the 80 column display cut off, while in BASIC a POKE 83,76 prevents characters from disappearing off the right side of the display.

While not ideal it does give usable display as long as lines are no longer than 77 characters.

You're not going to see a change in the display parameters between the drivers, as all of them use the XEP80's built-in timing parameters. The only difference you'll see is when using a program like the BASIC program or XEPVHOLD.COM to reprogram the XEP80 timing chain using undocumented commands. It may be possible to reposition horizontally, but you would have to modify the third and fourth numbers (2 Horizontal Sync Begin Register HSBR and 3 Horizontal Sync End Register HSER, in the NS405 chip's terminology).

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

So I assume the XEP80 is outputting Luma and not composite? Or is it outputting composite and you run it into the Luma input of the scaler to strip off the chroma signal somehow?

The XEP80 does not emit a color burst signal, so TVs disable their chroma filters when displaying it. This allows for higher resolution than would be possible with color.

The M2382D-xx is a strange bird in that if you have checked 'hide' in the settings during any point(initial or in use)... you can't get that back until you reset the monitor/dtv

once you do that you are annoyed with the pop ups... but between the ratio setting and answering a yes or no question on mode selections such as hdmi or component choosing one way and then another the display actually changes... very odd indeed. with some experimentation you might get more out of it.

• 3 months later...
50 minutes ago, Goochman said:

Can someone point me to where I can download the Avery drivers?  All this XEP80 talk is making me want to fire up the old girl on my original 14" monochrome monitor I bought BITD

It's on this Additions.atr (included with every release of the emulator).

Additions.atr

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/19/2021 at 10:52 AM, ClausB said:

Sure it's invisible, you haven't shown it! Could you post a photo of the mod?

?

Very invisible, indeed (on this whole thread...)

Sorry for not posting a link to it, as I did showed this quite a while ago (on top-right corner, you can see top-lid upside-down, exposing specific change, and top-left is unmodified cover, for reference):

A800-TopCover-PBI_Bit3-1.thumb.jpeg.a342cd8ab0cdc75ecc2e4fd55ce94793.jpeg

Here's the prior thread where I posted it:

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, sl0re said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the compatibility of the bit-3 and memory upgrades over 48k? I was thinkingbof adding a 'The 1056 Board' to my 48k 800. Thanks

Hello,

I just checked the Altirra Hardware Reference Manual and I don't see any conflicts.  According to the manual, the Bit3 card uses memory in the $D6xx range and the cartridge control $D5xx range.  There is also a mention of a mirror to $800-$FFF.  Nothing conflicts with Axlon compatible registers and the banking region.

Best Regards,

Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2023 at 10:15 AM, reifsnyderb said:

Hello,

I just checked the Altirra Hardware Reference Manual and I don't see any conflicts.  According to the manual, the Bit3 card uses memory in the $D6xx range and the cartridge control $D5xx range.  There is also a mention of a mirror to $800-$FFF.  Nothing conflicts with Axlon compatible registers and the banking region.

Best Regards,

Brian

An Axlon type card maps it's RAM to 4000-7FFF and must sit in slot 2. Will a 32k card in slot 1 fill the space from 0000-3FFF and 8000-BFFF?

28 minutes ago, tep392 said:

An Axlon type card maps it's RAM to 4000-7FFF and must sit in slot 2. Will a 32k card in slot 1 fill the space from 0000-3FFF and 8000-BFFF?

If the second card sends /S4 and /S5 back to the first card and the 32k card is setup to use /S4 and /S5, as opposed to sending /S4 and /S5 to the third card slot as is normal, I think the 32k card would work as you anticipate.  However, the Axlon card would be missing /S0 and /S1 and would, therefore, need another way to determine if $CFFF is being addressed.

This is all because the first card has direct access only to /S0 and /S1.  The second card only has direct access to /S2 through /S5.  The third card only gets access to /S4 and /S5 when the second card sends those signals to the first card and the first card sends those signals to the third card.

$CFFF is in the range of /S6 and /S6 is not available to any of the RAM cards without an additional wire running either to the main board or to the 10k ROM card.  What I do, with my Axlon compatible cards, is have the logic to determine that $CFFF is being addressed due to available select lines all being set high.  My Axlon compatible cards have /S0 and /S1 sent to the memory card in the 2nd RAM slot, by using the jumper board, so that the memory card has access to /S0 through /S5.

On this page is the layout of all of the select lines for the memory card slots:  http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-are-the-pinouts-for-the-various-connectors-on-the-atari_16.html

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

If the second card sends /S4 and /S5 back to the first card and the 32k card is setup to use /S4 and /S5, as opposed to sending /S4 and /S5 to the third card slot as is normal, I think the 32k card would work as you anticipate.  However, the Axlon card would be missing /S0 and /S1 and would, therefore, need another way to determine if $CFFF is being addressed.

This is all because the first card has direct access only to /S0 and /S1.  The second card only has direct access to /S2 through /S5.  The third card only gets access to /S4 and /S5 when the second card sends those signals to the first card and the first card sends those signals to the third card.

$CFFF is in the range of /S6 and /S6 is not available to any of the RAM cards without an additional wire running either to the main board or to the 10k ROM card.  What I do, with my Axlon compatible cards, is have the logic to determine that $CFFF is being addressed due to available select lines all being set high.  My Axlon compatible cards have /S0 and /S1 sent to the memory card in the 2nd RAM slot, by using the jumper board, so that the memory card has access to /S0 through /S5.

On this page is the layout of all of the select lines for the memory card slots:  http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-are-the-pinouts-for-the-various-connectors-on-the-atari_16.html

Thanks for the info.  The Axlon compatible I'm using has the S6 jumper to the ROM card.  I also have a real Axlon 256K but that just uses what is available in the second RAM slot.