IGNORED

Twisted Metal for JagCD

Needles Kane

His point may have not been to actually port it but just a question as to if it would be possible (can the Jaguar actually handle it?)

Regardless, it won't happen, but it'd be cool to see the Jag run something like that at an acceptable speed. I guess you have to get money $$ giants to really push the enevelope on the games/hardware to see what is really possible. And even so, it still would be only playable and probably not as graphically detailed/textured as the PS1 can handle it.

It's really unfair to say the Jag really wouldn't be able to handle it with 1st generation coders working on it.

Ask TBird, he could tell you if it would be even remotely possible.

Then again, it doesn't matter cause we ain't getting Twisted Metal for JagCD ;) heheh...

However Freelancer sounds good~! ;)

Clint

I think it would be very possible, but as Clint said, it may not be able to have all the texture mapping. of course I'm not a programmer (yet), but I have read a lot about systems and what they might be capable of and I remember reading once that the N64 can throw around about as many polygons, fully textured and with all it's special effects bells and wistles as the Jaguar can with just plain polygons (maybe some garuad shading and lightsourcing thrown in). So it seems to me that a game like twisted metal could be done, but it may be only with plain shaded polygons like Virtua Racing and maybe some garuad shading, light sourcing and a few textures thrown in. it is my theory that pretty much any game could be done on any system, but it has to be downsized for that particular system. A perfect example of this theory at work can be seen right here at Atari age with the Space Harrier game being done on the 8-bit Atari. Even Halo could be done on the Jaguar, but in the end it would look a awful lot like Jaguar's Doom. IMHO.

Regardless, it won't happen, but it'd be cool to see the Jag run something like that at an acceptable speed. I guess you have to get money $$ giants to really push the enevelope on the games/hardware to see what is really possible.  And even so, it still would be only playable and probably not as graphically detailed/textured as the PS1 can handle it.

I think the Jaguar could handle a game like Twisted Metal.

Beyond Games planned to do a Jaguar version of BattleWheels. For those who don't know, BattleWheels is a car combat game for the Lynx, much like Twisted Metal...except on a handheld...with support for up to six players...and it came out a full two years before Twisted Metal. You can see some screens if you click here.

Since BattleWheels preceded Twisted Metal, perhaps the question shouldn't be if the Jaguar could handle a game like Twisted Metal, but rather a game like BattleWheels. :)

I think the Jaguar could handle a game like Twisted Metal.

Beyond Games planned to do a Jaguar version of BattleWheels. For those who don't know, BattleWheels is a car combat game for the Lynx, much like Twisted Metal...except on a handheld...with support for up to six players...and it came out a full two years before Twisted Metal. You can see some screens if you click here.

Since BattleWheels preceded Twisted Metal, perhaps the question shouldn't be if the Jaguar could handle a game like Twisted Metal, but rather a game like BattleWheels. :)

Hmm any working prototype of BattleWheels... Would Beyond Games be interested in finishing the game or releasing the code?

It's just to bad they didn't finish it there ULTRA VORTEK RULEZ...!