IGNORED

LED backlight (again)

Harry_Dodgson

I found this bit on: http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/SNESp5.htm and thought it might be of use to someone here...

When building a portable unit, a large problem is always power consumption. Your average pocket TV uses 500ma of power. Add that to the SNES's power intake (around 250ma) and you've got 750ma. Also, just adding wires between things increases the power drain. SO! As with the VCSp Gold and the PSp, I replaced the cold-cathode light tube on the TV with 2 white LED's, again from Radio Shack online. (here is a link to that item). Basically what I do is remove the tube, and stick an LED on each end, thus 'simulating' a tube. I also have to remove the power supply for the tube. Typically, there's a spot on the TV's board which sends +5 volts into the cold cathode tube power supply. This power supply then steps up the voltage to something like 800-1000 volts to power the tube. After I remove the power supply, I power the white LED's off that 5 volt pin (it's convenient). I typically put about 20 ohms resistance in front of the LED's and then wire them in parallel. This drops the TV's power consumption from 500ma to around 250ma.

I haven't tried this, but it sounds like you could replace the tube on the Lynx with this method and get longer battery life.

• 1 month later...