IGNORED

My Flashback 9 stopped working

Jarod

An Atgames product that stopped working? Big surprise.

They only make trash. Though I will admit they have come a long 5 inches in the last 10+ years and make each product marginally better than the last. Eventually after years..... it's decent. But I still wouldn't rely on any of their products and not be surprised if it broke in record time.

Get actual hardware and move on.

First you do the official update from atgames to unlock the "SD CARD" option in your side menu list. (It will still be grayed out)

You have to flash the correct firmware.

AFZ - Registration && Download (atgames.net)

To make the "SD CARD" option not grayed out, you have to have a compatible sd card. 4GB or less if i remember.
create a folder named -->      game

not Games or anything else. and there has to be at least one atari rom in there. .a26 or .bin format. not spaces in the file name. no periods or brackets. and it cant be super-duper-ass-long. only then will it show.

Custom Firmware for a standard atari flashback 9. This will allow you to run system files from sd card.
https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=666731

here is the prebuilt pack of games. I litterally just just did it while ive been posting you on a fresh/new unit.
https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=828047

Capture.PNG

Edited by Draxxon

37 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

I remembered wrong, I'm sorry.

recognizes what? an atari_update.img file? your /game folder?

or android recovery recognizes it looking for that sideload.zip you now need?

Directorys load.  But no bin files detected.  Only zips.  Zipping the updste does not help either.  Tries to install but fails. 

On 3/5/2021 at 1:29 PM, Jarod said:

I bought the Atgames Atari Flashback 9, and it stopped working after only 18 months...

On 3/31/2021 at 4:45 PM, 0078265317 said:

IDK.  I just got one from ebay for 40 dollars.  Hope it lasts longer. 

8 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

It came about 3 o'clock today.  I am downloading the firmware and trying now.  So far no sd icon but slot is on the side.  Maybe after firmware it will show.

7 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

It worked like 3 or 4 times now no picture.  ...  Never flashed the firmware.

3 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Looks like you screwed up a firmware update to me, or flashed the wrong firmware for your system. And... wiped your cache? 

43 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Directorys load.  But no bin files detected.  Only zips.  Zipping the updste does not help either.  Tries to install but fails. 

42 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

correct. can't find system cache.

Ive never had to hook it up to the pc. I only had to factory reset a LFB one time messing with experimental overclock firmware.

I didnt wipe the cache though. 

Did you really not update firmware? did you go messing with recovery mode because you couldnt get the game folder to show up without having done the atgames update, maybe? Were you stuck in recovery mode and wiped the cache? Im not sure buddy. If it was really just played it a few times, black screen, recovery mode-factory reset (only, no data wipe) didnt work, then i feel like that isnt anything i could fix, and doesnt make sense to me either.

Um... you gotta solder some shit, android tools, again, Ive never had to do it.

I kind of feel bad telling you guys about the reset button now. sorry.
it was just to help the OP try and fix a deadly black screen of death.

Edited by Draxxon

.img files will never show from android recovery. only .zip files. your sd cards are fine.

your operating system was deleted, man. you have to solder a usb connection onto the board, get android tools and 

push the operating system back onto the unit.

I've seen this happen a few times the last couple years. its always a bad firmware flash. either not completely flashing

the update, or flashing the completely wrong update for the unit. Not saying thats what you did, but thats what it looks

like you did to me.

Edited by Draxxon

On 4/4/2021 at 6:42 PM, 0078265317 said:

There is another used one on amazon for 27.  Wonder if its worth it.  Or same thing will happen.

All I can say is that I have both the 9 Gold and the Standard and have used them both a TON with no issues.

So unless you're like the opposite of Midas, I think you'll be fine.