IGNORED

Interest check: Applied Engineering Z-80 Plus card with CP/M disks, manual, and box

x=usr(1536)

Digging through some storage bins I haven't looked in in years, I ran across a boxed Z-80 Plus card with Apple CP/M disks and manual; Applied Engineering was the card manufacturer.

This is a 'ran when parked' situation: the card and disks worked in the last Apple //e that I owned - in 2004.  They've been sitting for 17 years.  Granted, they were stored in a light-tight plastic storage bin in a climate-controlled environment for that entire time, but I can't provide any guarantee as to functionality.

I no longer have any Apple ][ machines so cannot test.  However, I would like to find a good home for this set.  If interested, please indicate below.  Will do my best to get photos posted over the weekend. 

• Like 1

Interesting.  AE stuff, in my world, was notorious for hardware failure (after some real use). The products delivered the moon tho, while they worked.

I wonder if a hardware person might be interested in this.  I always had a theory they used cheap components... and maybe a hardware guy would be into replacing them with long life-span ones.  Apple community might be into it if it's boxed and never used.

The Computer History Museum might be interested.  They have some Apple II enthusiasts there.  They are in the San Jose area.  I've contacted them on a few things and it was always a good experience. 

Apologies for the delay in replying; had laptop failure earlier this week and am only just getting (fully) back on-line.  With that said:

On 3/10/2021 at 8:02 PM, Keatah said:

This is a good CP/M board. Is it a revision K? If so, even better.

Rev. N, with a 1986 copyright date.  Is that good, bad, or indifferent?

On 3/11/2021 at 1:44 AM, CaptainBreakout said:

The Computer History Museum might be interested.  They have some Apple II enthusiasts there.  They are in the San Jose area.  I've contacted them on a few things and it was always a good experience. 

Yep, they have a few items I've sent them in the past.  Thoroughly recommend them as a possible resource for preserving stuff like this.

Now, moving on to the photos:

The underside in a three-quarter view:

IMG_0090.thumb.jpeg.e8661c20eca92044898e411780b0cad8.jpeg

And the top, also in a three-quarter view.  The coffee stains predate my tenure of this card, so they're assuredly vintage ? :

IMG_0091.thumb.jpeg.485dd0ebd1927ac56e533eef412fa8c1.jpeg

Inside, top opened.  The same egg-crate foam in the same condition is under the disks, card, and documentation:

IMG_0092.thumb.jpeg.556df640f36d3ae04192c1e7045eb935.jpeg

The disks, up close:

IMG_0093.thumb.jpeg.9e4d45c1d5ef9b3a9a08dc4320a56859.jpeg

Top of the card PCB:

IMG_0094.thumb.jpeg.a0d54544cce41e7d0851cdf1a75ff8f4.jpeg

Underside of the card PCB:

IMG_0095.thumb.jpeg.f00ef8ea5b2fd886cc9f8801c3a0eabd.jpeg

The user manual:

IMG_0096.thumb.jpeg.230b80e53b488ab6e93089a6222b09fb.jpeg

And an AE catalogue:

IMG_0097.thumb.jpeg.cddb97eef344f0b1b6ae96a49a3ebce2.jpeg

And that's it.  Let me know what you think!

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2