IGNORED

Mario Bros + POKEY: Does It Exist?

DrVenkman

• 1 month later...

EXCLUSIVE FINAL BUILD of MARIO BROS.

TOMORROW on ZeroPage Homebrew

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing the Exclusive Final Build of Mario Bros. for the Atari 7800 on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch. The developer, Oldstyle, will be in the chat to answer your questions about the game, hope you can join us!

Game:

Fri Aug 25, 2023 | LIVE @ 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day

WATCH LIVE: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silver Back said:

Very exciting!  If it's half as good as donkey Kong PK then it's an absolute must have but I'm sure it'll be every bit as good.  Counting down the hours now to seeing it and hopefully being able to play it soon after!

That's quite a lofty perch DKPK is on and it's certainly one I drew inspiration from.  You'll genuinely enjoy this, and then some, whether a fan of the game or genre.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, OldStyle said:

Hello!  I plan on running a few more playthroughs before going live just being sure I haven't busted anything.  A couple of tweaks were made since the Friday preview and I might add another piece of info for the custom scoreboard.

Will you release it here ?

Bear with me for a few!  Overall it looks fine!  About the scoreboard, during @ZeroPage Homebrew's stream (thank you James!) the question was raised about how custom game scores are saved.  Throughout development it's been something I've tried to sort out myself, so seeing that rekindled my thoughts on it.  Ideally I'd like to display each setting used per score but there's no room for that level of detail.  However, I do have just enough room to include (and save) a game rating for the top 3 scores.  I think this is worthwhile to include because the customization is a big part of the game.   So that's where I'm at and I've got coffee flowing through my veins.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, OldStyle said:

Bear with me for a few!  Overall it looks fine!  About the scoreboard, during @ZeroPage Homebrew's stream (thank you James!) the question was raised about how custom game scores are saved.  Throughout development it's been something I've tried to sort out myself, so seeing that rekindled my thoughts on it.  Ideally I'd like to display each setting used per score but there's no room for that level of detail.  However, I do have just enough room to include (and save) a game rating for the top 3 scores.  I think this is worthwhile to include because the customization is a big part of the game.   So that's where I'm at and I've got coffee flowing through my veins.

Fantastic news - we really appreciate the work put into this and will be happy to finally be able to play the finished version (hopefully soon)!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, eightbitwhit said:

Fantastic news - we really appreciate the work put into this and will be happy to finally be able to play the finished version (hopefully soon)!

10 minutes ago, Jon Willig said:

Very excited! Have been checking back daily. Fantastic work!

Hey there!  This was totally a last minute thing to include so the support and patience is very much appreciated!   The good news is I have numbers to work with now.  I've been crunching a few just to see if it all makes sense with different settings.  So far I like what I see and certainly this should give more context behind top custom scores.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hello folks, thought I'd mention I have all of the rating stuff hooked in visual and back-end.  I'm running through the last set of changes, testing things out.  A quick primer, here's what the custom/novice table will look like, below:  

customtopratedscores.thumb.png.71e8000fe48becba554d8a1d4a6ca0d5.png

After a few revisions I settled on this one because I think it's the least confusing!  The overall rating can be 0-63.  This is in context of the difficulty, displayed by coins next to the rating where novice is 0, pro 1 coin, etc.  At the moment, 63 is a "perfect" game, literally, because it's all of the hardest settings (1 life, no bonus, +waves, +vs) and requires clearing every phase and of course, not dying is a big part of that!  The shot above, 1st place, started as a 0 rated novice game all easy options selected.  The rating here is low despite making it very far.  2nd and 3rd were based on Expert and MM, both 1 life, 50k 90k 40 bonus - much higher rated games from the start, but did not get as far!

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, SpongeDan said:

Any update on the game? The anticipation is killing me!

Hey Dan, it's winding down, creeping toward the finish.  Ratings are done.  After play testing this a bit I've had the chance to patch what I think are the last set of bugs, annoyances, and gameplay tweaks, *knock on wood*.  There is one tweak / gameplay change left that I've been tinkering with in Waves mode.  The bonus round put in initially I feel is kind of bland at early phases so I've been experimenting with loading it in realtime instead of having coins spilling out the pipes.  I find that it's working well so far.  All it needs is the "perfect" bonus applied and randomization when more! points are enabled.

• Like 13

Can't wait for this. I hope there's an easier version, like the Classic Serie version on Famicom, that lets you change jump direction in midair, and isn't as slippery as the arcade. 

The later levels are very hard even with that, and it's fun playing a longer game and not always worrying about timing with stops, turns and jumps... 

In fact, it might even be fun playing the later levels with the number of enemies on the screen more limited... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doug0909 said:

Can't wait for this. I hope there's an easier version, like the Classic Serie version on Famicom, that lets you change jump direction in midair, and isn't as slippery as the arcade. 

This version has a setting to allow mid air jumps, but you're really, really missing out on the true spirit of the game. 

I highly recommend you just get used to the RIGHT way to play, as the mid air jumps completely ruins the actual game.

It's easy once you get used to it.

Nintendo ruined a while generation of gamers with their lame, neutered, classic series. It's a shame.

The later levels are very hard even with that, and it's fun playing a longer game and not always worrying about timing with stops, turns and jumps... 

This becomes second nature of you don't psyche yourself out.

In fact, it might even be fun playing the later levels with the number of enemies on the screen more limited... 

Seriously, I recommend given l giving it a shot. Unlearn the bad versions. This version course corrected all of the bad home versions (NES, Gameboy, and 7800 original). I think you'll actually discover the true charm of the arcade version and learn why the 7800 version was even worse than you may have thought before. 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

Nintendo ruined a while generation of gamers with their lame, neutered, classic series. It's a shame.

Not sure if you know what I was referring to; this game was not released in the USA, it was based on a weird Japanese disk version with intermissions, and was part of a small famicom series (I can't remember if it's the only one, or only one of a few, which was an upgrade). 

Here's a comparison with original NES Mario Bros.:

I hate that original NES version so much I never play it. IMHO the only two great home versions are Atari XE (not 800/5200, TOO SLIPPERY) and Classic Serie. 

There's zero charm in slipping, or being unable to turn quickly or in midair. I experience those three things everyday, on my feet and bicycle. And as I get older I'm going to be slipping and bumping into stuff more. I want precision controls, whether I'm dealing with life or video games. 

Edited by doug0909
  • Like 1

FYI I still start getting my ( ! ) kicked 2+ levels into ice guys on Classic Serie. I love playing it because it's a semi relaxing score chase (chains!) and attempt to keep all my lives until icicles, then it's a madhouse and survival challenge, even with better controls than arcade... 

I also like the Apple II prototype when I'm in the right mood... It's so damn slow it's almost a strategy/thinking game...

Edited by doug0909

1 hour ago, doug0909 said:

Not sure if you know what I was referring to; this game was not released in the USA, it was based on a weird Japanese disk version with intermissions, and was part of a small famicom series (I can't remember if it's the only one, or only one of a few, which was an upgrade). 

Two pages back, ~2.5 years ago:

;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I see the jump hate goes way back in this thread. 

I'm surprised there's less discussion of the slipperiness issue when moving on platforms, regarding stopping or changing direction. That also varied a lot, with the "easier" versions having little slip and allowing a faster direction change. (I think the 5200/A8 version might have had MORE slipperiness than the arcade, but I'd have to replay). 

Yes, I also prefer minimal slippage and being able to change directions quickly. And think about it, the only explanation for slippage is sewage. Yuck! 

I think an option on that would be great too... 

Edited by doug0909