IGNORED

Blank white screen after RetroHQ logo screen v1.04 :BennVenn LCD: (RESOLVED in V1.06)

Cicero

6 hours ago, SainT said:

Just checked the price from UK to US for that size of package via UPS, ~$43. I have no idea why postage from the US to the UK is apparently so expensive when I can ship relatively cheaply to the US from the UK. It's bizarre. 

Yeap... seems like most all shipping from the US to outside territories is just crazy expensive right now. Case in point...it costs me nearly 2x more to ship something back to someone in Canada, then it took for them to ship to me. One of the reasons, I don't normally offer my services outside the main 48 US States.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks to another customer who sent their Lynx with BennVenn modded screen to me, this issue is now resolved. Just boot up your LynxGD, check for firmware updates by hitting OPTION1 when prompted and visiting the link displayed on screen. Update to the latest firmware (V1.06 has the fix) by following the instructions and everything should be working correctly.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SainT said:

Thanks to another customer who sent their Lynx with BennVenn modded screen to me, this issue is now resolved. Just boot up your LynxGD, check for firmware updates by hitting OPTION1 when prompted and visiting the link displayed on screen. Update to the latest firmware (V1.06 has the fix) by following the instructions and everything should be working correctly.

It looks like the instructions say that the file should be called firmware.upd but when we download it, it's called firmware.ovr - with either work? I can't get my LynxGD to update so I am just troubleshooting. I assume I don't have it in what it considers the root directory, but on Windows I just see a directory come up for the sdcard and the firmware file is there. 

2 minutes ago, SainT said:

Are you hitting the large DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE button? It sounds like you are hitting the "Download This Version" link on and old firmware version.

Ah, thanks! Yes, I was hitting the wrong button. :)I clicked the download firmware button, got the .upd file, transferred it and it works!! This is amazing, thank you so much! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the update!

I wonder: how are the .ovr files supposed to be used? Since old versions of the firmware are offered as .ovr for download, i guess they can also be used for downgrading/upgrading firmware? But how to install an .ovr file on a gamedrive?

29 minutes ago, MichelS said:

Thanks for the update!

I wonder: how are the .ovr files supposed to be used? Since old versions of the firmware are offered as .ovr for download, i guess they can also be used for downgrading/upgrading firmware? But how to install an .ovr file on a gamedrive?

To be honest this is a feature I added for the JagGD, I’m not sure if it even works for the LynxGD.

27 minutes ago, MichelS said:

I see... so the .ovr files are not usable unless this upgrade/downgrade feature is activated or added to the LynxGD firmware.

I've had a look and modified the website slightly, the older versions are now also downloadable as .upd files. The Lynx will install older versions quite happily, so these files should work fine. The JagGD requires the .ovr extension to install older versions.

Just came home from work and had to try this...

So i downloaded the 1.04 firmware again. Indeed, it saves as "firmware.upd"...

...But the file content is identical to the 1.04 "firmware.ovr" i downloaded yesterday (byte-compared in hexeditor) and the LynxGD doesn't accept it, i.e. it does nothing except displaying the QR code.

1 hour ago, MichelS said:

Just came home from work and had to try this...

So i downloaded the 1.04 firmware again. Indeed, it saves as "firmware.upd"...

...But the file content is identical to the 1.04 "firmware.ovr" i downloaded yesterday (byte-compared in hexeditor) and the LynxGD doesn't accept it, i.e. it does nothing except displaying the QR code.

Yes, the content is identical, just the extension if different.

I thought that would work, I haven't tried it though. Are you using the latest link shown on your Lynx to download the firmware from?

You can't download from a old link, it wont work.

Yes - used the QR code that is shown on my Lynx. I updated to v1.06 yesterday. The page that is shown now says:

Updating Your Cartridge

You currently have the latest version of the firmware available for the Lynx Game Drive installed!

There is nothing for you to do except enjoy playing old games.

Below are the download links for 1.06, 1.04, ... down to 0.92.

When downloading e.g. 1.06 now, i get a file that isn't the same as the .upd from yesterday (which i downloaded through the large button on the top of the page) - but the same as the .ovr from yesterday i.e. different content.

Also - i saved the firmware.upd for 1.04 when i did the update from 1.03 to 1.04. 

Downloaded 1.04 now is different from the old one as well...

Edited by MichelS

Hm... That means - if say, now i have v1.06. I downgrade firmware for some reason (if that works) and later i want to upgrade again.

I cannot use a firmware i saved now (while on 1.06) for upgrading again. I'll have to use the QR code while on downgraded firmware to obtain a new firmware file for upgrade?

My head is spinning.

Guess i'll take the advice and just enjoy playing old games...

It’s very simple, if you want to update the firmware, follow the link displayed on your Lynx and download the file. Don’t keep any files once they’ve been used, they will not be useful.

However this is academic, as you will never need to do anything more than just update to the latest firmware if one is available.