IGNORED

New Tool for creating PF + 48 px title screens (functional WIP)

kisrael

I completely misread your comment. I was just looking at the page on my phone but it kept cutting off that half of the page and wouldn't let me resize or rotate the page to read it! I don't know what I was thinking!

So... Ignore me! Your program is awesome! 

It still doesn't change what else I said - that it is fun to use.

Just now, KevKelley said:

I completely misread your comment. I was just looking at the page on my phone but it kept cutting off that half of the page and wouldn't let me resize or rotate the page to read it! I don't know what I was thinking!

So... Ignore me! Your program is awesome! 

It still doesn't change what else I said - that it is fun to use.

I'd ignore a person who is saying nice things about my program and making really nice art with it and pointing out possible problems in the UI (like not being clear enough about the modes) at my peril :-D 

Definitely not optimized for mobile :-D I'm working hard enough to make a easy to understand UI on desktop / laptop. And definitely it's been growing... at first I wasn't sure if it would grow beyond 48px, but I'm making a system that's pretty flexible. I'm not sure I'll get to it but I'd like to support all the major bB kernels that do stuff w/ PFs. 

• Like 1

https://alienbill.com/2600/splash-o-matic/ - minor update. 
Tweaked the auto-contrast on the image import, still playing with the UI arrangement, and added the first PF assembly kernel (still working out some details at 192px, single scanline kernels, so the max is 110 for now)

Also some some internal improvements so adding new kernels should be easier for me- can just tell it where those tricky PF bits go 

Oh and fixed the bug where if you were using the color tool, clicking on another tool might register as color clicks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a side I've been a huge fan of bBpf - the original playfield editor that generates pfpixel commands.  Using it helped me over the years to "think different" about generating mazes, passwords and numerical displays.

Super stoked that you are getting back into making handy tools for batari BASIC.  Thank you for your work!  It's made batari BASIC even more fun for me.

31 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

As a side I've been a huge fan of bBpf - the original playfield editor that generates pfpixel commands.  Using it helped me over the years to "think different" about generating mazes, passwords and numerical displays.

Super stoked that you are getting back into making handy tools for batari BASIC.  Thank you for your work!  It's made batari BASIC even more fun for me.

Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, painting with a canvas is a lot more pleasant than typing all the . and X (and boy are . and X easier to read than 0 and 1!)

bBPF will be partially retired. Definitely that one and the DPC+ flavor were self-inspirations for what I'm doing with splash-o-matic.

NEW FEATURE: batari BASIC DPC+ mode now lets you paint the background separately from the PF. 

So the BB DPC+ kernel has always allowed you to set the color of each line's background, and then do a different color for the PF... now you can edit that

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 1.35.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 1.35.37 PM.png

• Like 1

(minor improvement: replaced "show what color you're hovering over" with an eyedropper tool. That more closely matched an early suggestion, and in practice feels better)

Be sure to hit shift-reload if you've been playing with earlier versions.)

Productive Day: One Final Tool... a Gradient Tool! Take advantage of the 2600's pallet!

(Note: I think import image straight to DPC+ isn't working for some reason, not sure when it broke (or if it ever worked) Still, I made it so DPC+ can even do gradients for the background colors as well as the playfield colors.)

622532702_ScreenShot2021-04-04at10_53_10PM.thumb.png.f31c46b602a9c194bcafb88aa2a24774.png834752970_ScreenShot2021-04-04at10_52_43PM.thumb.png.222db4873902cf5f4383bdfeb48cb7d0.png

So I decided to combine the results of the Splash-O-Matic with that of the Riff Machine.  It took a little playing around with to get right but after some trial and error I got it to work.

Basically I just inserted the "gosub drawlogo" inbetween "GotMusic1" and "goto MainLoop" and bam! Music AND a titlescreen.

GotMusic1
 gosub drawlogo
    goto MainLoop

Awesome! Now I really should be working on the main part of the game but this was too much fun to play around with.

Here is the result: 

Edited by KevKelley
  • Like 2

fixed some bugs with DPC+ image import and gradients (it's the only one that allows background color to be changed so is a bit more complicated.)

Anyway now you can do pretty interesting stuff with competing gradients (I'm not saying you always SHOULD but you CAN)

Oh also turns out, some part of me really thinks they should be spelled "gradiants" not "gradients"

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.04.25 AM.png

Awesome to see! 

I'm slowing down work on this as I move from an apartment to a condo, but am thinking about a name change... maybe "atari-background-buddy" ? 

Welcome other thoughts. It's just that splash-o-matic might not be instantly clear, and also when you google for it you get a lot of stuff from Nintendo's Splattoon...

• 2 weeks later...

The effort continues! (now that I'm moved into our new condo)

https://alienbill.com/2600/splash-o-matic/

Expect a name change and significant loading/saving capabilities soon, but for now enjoy a new "inkmode" - you can have left mouse button draw, right button erase  :-D (I had to put away my Mac and Photoshop biases of "but there's just one button" and realize that for a system so deep into the booleans as an Atari, it makes sense to leverage on and off with left and right clicks)