IGNORED

5200 programming web site

I just checked it out, OldGuru. Very nice.

I wanted to do something similar! When I started out in May 2001 (I seem to be about a year behind you), I couldn't find much that was specifically about the 5200. Dan's site was really the only resource for me at first -- thank goodness I found AtariAge and started to get info from Debro, and Tempest started at the same time so it was educational seeing his progress & problems posted as well. I always thought "when I get my first game done, I'm going to make it available on the net".

Well, with Dan's and your site already on the net, there is little sense with me doing the same thing, although I wouldn't mind offering some files/text to you guys eventually. I plan on releasing the ASM file, commented of course, for my first game "Koffi" when it is done, and a generic "Antic mode e" starting file too which will basically have a pre-defined display list and the 4k boundary already resolved. Those are annoying problems when you don't know what the heck to do about them!

Am I the only one using Antic E? What is CastleBlast using?

I was just coding the SpreadFire, DouseFire, and Collisions routines for Koffi this evening. I'd love to show some people what I've got going, but I'm going to show some restraint and hold off until it starts looking more professional.

So far, so good. In fact, I was just referring to your address file to get the Collision Registers addresses, tonight was the first time I experimented with these. Pretty easy, just check a GTIA register for a value!

The problem pops up when I reuse colors via a DLI -- sure I want the Red Fire (which are '11' pixels) to kill off Koffi, but I don't want the tree trunk pixels (lower on the screen, also '11' pixels) to harm him!

Well, I'm monopolizing your thread here with my Koffi experiences! I will finish for now!

When can we play CastleBlast?

quote:

I always thought "when I get my first game done, I'm going to make it available on the net".

We could all combine the efforts and share ownership of such a web site... I admit that my HTML and graphical skills are quite limited... I would not mind combining the effort with anybody who really wants it...

What is CastleBlast using?

I'm using Mode D.

When can we play CastleBlast?  

I was planning to release it before April 2002... I'll see... Spare time is very limited now...

Thanks,

OldGuru.

Looks great OG Now I don't have to continue with my plans to do a tutorial web site. Your Castle Blast is an excellent example of 5200 programming. I will continue on my current project to help me get acquainted with the 8-bit/5200 hardware again (it's been a long time) and another game idea I'm playing around with. I will also release source code to the public domain to help out in any way. Of course this is all dependent on me doing some coding. With my current schedule and deadlines I haven't been able to devote as much time into this as I would like

BTW Cafeman I have plans to use Mode E but just haven't implemented it yet.

O.G. - If you want or could use anything from me just let me know. I did disassemble the monitor (I was going to post it here but I thought it was too big). It might not be needed now because of the disassembler supplied in the new VSS but if you want it, comments and all, you've got it.

Cafeman - Right now the only roadblock or obstacle I can see using ANTIC E off hand is I'm going to have to replace some of my ANTIC E lines with ANTIC 2 lines while the program is running (shouldn't be too hard). Only the bottom portion of my playfield will be ANTIC E so I shouldn't run into any memory constraints. If I do or when I do a full ANTIC E playfield I will be looking you up

Remember I'm working on a Space Invaders (5200 Invaders working title) that represents the arcade version better. I'm doing this because I didn't like the 5200/8-bit version and this will also help me get familiar with the hardware again.

My idea is to use ANTIC E for the barriers and redefine the character set for the invaders. I'm using ANTIC 2 for the invaders so I can very easily get 11 x 5 invaders on the screen. Now when the invaders get down to the barrier area I'm going to have to replace 8 ANTIC E lines with 1 ANTIC 2 line because they have collided.

This shouldn't be too big of a deal (done in my head now and not in actual code). The diplay list will be stored in RAM since it will change. Since the display list is none other than a continuous program ANTIC runs I should be able to change it in memory and ANTIC reflect the change.

We'll see if this theory works

DEBRO,

O.G. - If you want or could use anything from me just let me know. I did disassemble the monitor (I was going to post it here but I thought it was too big).  

I'll be glad to put your disassembled code on the web site. I also think that your demo code is a great starting point for any new programmer (specially when it has been confirmed to be working on the real 5200 console).

OldGuru.

Feel free to send me any code you like to me and I can test it on the real thing and give some feedback. I have a burner and a test cart to pop it into and can test the code with both the original controller and a Wico stick. Here's a pic of my current workshop. Unfortunately the computer there has a problem with my new network so no net access out there at the moment. I plan on fixing that soon.

AlanD

shed3.jpg

I have a burner and a test cart to pop it into...  

Question about the test cart:

I tried to implement Jay Tilton's proposal that uses a single 32K EPROM and an AND gate on a modified existing 5200 game... However that did not work for me...

What do you use?

I normally use a cart that I made while chatting online with Jay. It worked fine first shot so his instructions should be good for it. I would have to confirm when I am home if it was an AND gate but that sounds right as it is acting as a negative logic OR gate if memory serves. If you would like I'll check out the cart and let you know exactly what I did when I have it in hand. I used to use a 4-chip 5200 proto board that originally had Baseball on it but the sockets were so bad I didn't want to make it a long term thing.

AlanD

quote:

Originally posted by Cafeman:

"Remember I'm working on a Space Invaders (5200 Invaders working title) that represents the arcade version better."

Got a web page up?

I don't have a web site yet. My wife and I are still discussing that. We want to have our own domain name and all.

• 4 weeks later...