IGNORED

Movie Cart

rbairos

14 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Mine arrived while I was in New Orleans.  I'm going to get a 3D printed cart case for it but I'm going to have to make a hole on the one side for the micro SD card so I can change the movie files.  I would otherwise have to damage the label to open and close it.

A 3D printed case is nice, but don't you think and old Pac-Man, Combat, or E.T. cart would be a good donor instead of spending extra money?  If you need a donor I would be happy to supply you with one as I have many.

15 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

A 3D printed case is nice, but don't you think and old Pac-Man, Combat, or E.T. cart would be a good donor instead of spending extra money?  If you need a donor I would be happy to supply you with one as I have many.

Well, for $5, I can't say it is a bad deal.  Thank you for the offer, though.  :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

Well, for $5, I can't say it is a bad deal.  Thank you for the offer, though.  :) 

Are you printing your own cart or buying it with a slot for the SD card? I'd be interested in a couple as well. 

11 hours ago, cvga said:

Are you printing your own cart or buying it with a slot for the SD card? I'd be interested in a couple as well. 

Due to how the PCB is made, even if you cut a lot for the SDcard, you can't access it easily as it is designed for the entire thing to be encased into a standard 2600 cartridge shell. So the SDcard will sit to far inside and you would have to use something like tweezers etc, in order to remove it. That is how mine is as it also doesn't appear to have a spring loaded slot, but I was told that the current ones do so that might make it a little easier. But in the end @rbairos advised me that the idea is to keep it all hidden within the cart and not be easily accessed.

I did suggest redesigning the label so that the screen head is exposed and made to be part of the label design so that the cartridge can at least be opened up without any label damage. I actually cut a hole in the center of my label so I could access the screw to update the SDcard as needed. If you use one large enough, you can encode a few movies onto it and keep them in a folder where the only the main movie you want to be active, is copied to the root of the SDcart to be played.

3 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

That specific one you posted is a full size SDcard adapter. So if you can find one that is designed for microSD then you might could maybe get that to work. I will state that with the SDcard in place it pretty much is right up against the inside portion of the case plastic. So I'm not sure if an adapter with the extra length needed for the cable will fit quite right. Might have to carefully remove a bit of the plastic on the inside shell. But if you can get that figured out, then making a slot and epoxying the other end to a free spot somewhere would likely be possible.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

That specific one you posted is a full size SDcard adapter. So if you can find one that is designed for microSD then you might could maybe get that to work. I will state that with the SDcard in place it pretty much is right up against the inside portion of the case plastic. So I'm not sure if an adapter with the extra length needed for the cable will fit quite right. Might have to carefully remove a bit of the plastic on the inside shell. But if you can get that figured out, then making a slot and epoxying the other end to a free spot somewhere would likely be possible.

I added a second one and it is for micro … and I would be fine letting the extension hang outside the cart.

The linked one is on the long side but on amzn you can find shorter ones too (like 6 inches).

Edited by phoenixdownita

10 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

I added a second one and it is for micro … and I would be fine letting the extension hang outside the cart.

The linked one is on the long side but on amzn you can find shorter ones too (like 6 inches).

Ah, okay at the time I originally typed that up, you had just the one link in place. And sure if you were find with the extension hanging out, then I don't see any reason you couldn't do that. I was thinking along the lines of keeping it all contained within the cartridge itself and still allow easier access to remove the SDcard when you wanted to change movies.

I currently have the old Tom Selleck movie 'Runaway' encoded on mine. I did some 4:3 aspect correction and cropping in my video editor before handing it over the converter that the is used for these carts. It came out well but the audio is a bit scratchier than I'd like. I might see about trying to encode it again in the future to see if I can find a good setting for me to help with that bit.

30 minutes ago, sfish said:

I think I'm going to go with one of these and get a spare (since they're cheap) for my BackBit Pro: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C3G7RND6

Now that could work really well. Looks like it comes with a spring loaded sd slot on that extension as well. It would still stick out the side but then you could access it easier that way.

So I really think they are spring loaded.  The part number description does describe it as such.
I think @-^CrossBow^- yours might not be popping anymore? It was one of the earlier ones I tested more often.
Can anyone else comment? I try them here at home, and they definitely pop-in and pop-out.

So is it confirmed you cant reach it inside the case even with a slot cut out ? Has anyone tried? Its as close as it can get.
If not, that solid memory extender looks very nice.  

Yah as for sound try encoding again without the automatic gain option we discussed.  Or you send me a link to the problem area, I can try a couple things.
I've added lots of options on how its encoded, and if it's completely open so you can dive right into the interface and change the python script on the fly as well.

(Prepping the next batch as we speak, once they're gone, Im open to small design tweaks).
Cheers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rbairos said:

So I really think they are spring loaded.  The part number description does describe it as such.
I think @-^CrossBow^- yours might not be popping anymore? It was one of the earlier ones I tested more often.
Can anyone else comment? I try them here at home, and they definitely pop-in and pop-out.

So is it confirmed you cant reach it inside the case even with a slot cut out ? Has anyone tried? Its as close as it can get.

Yah as for sound try encoding again without the automatic gain option we discussed.  Or you send me a link to the problem area, I can try a couple things.
I've added lots of options on how its encoded, and if it's completely open so you can dive right into the interface and change the python script on the fly as well.

(Prepping the next batch as we speak, once they're gone, Im open to small design tweaks).
Cheers.

My microSD card slot is spring loaded. 

As for accessing the card when the PCB is in a case, I have not tried it yet, but I was thinking it would be challenging unless the hole in the case were pretty sizable. And, knowing me, I'd accidentally fumble the card into the case regularly. This is why the solid extender should do the trick and would reduce wear and tear on the Movie Cart's port over time. 

• Like 1

This may have been asked before...but I couldn't find it.

Is there any way to encode videos that Moviecart likes without using TouchDesigner? 

I run Linux on my primary system. I tried installing Windows 7 and Windows 10 inside of Virtualbox and then Touch Designer inside of that with basically no success. The latest version does not want to install in 7, but will install in 10. But, it will not launch due to the lack of Vulkan in the virtual environment. I even tried older versions of TD in the Windows 7 environment and got one to launch but it doesn't display correctly.

Really don't want to install Windows on this machine just to make some movies ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Due to how the PCB is made, even if you cut a lot for the SDcard, you can't access it easily as it is designed for the entire thing to be encased into a standard 2600 cartridge shell. So the SDcard will sit to far inside and you would have to use something like tweezers etc, in order to remove it. That is how mine is as it also doesn't appear to have a spring loaded slot, but I was told that the current ones do so that might make it a little easier. But in the end @rbairos advised me that the idea is to keep it all hidden within the cart and not be easily accessed.

I did suggest redesigning the label so that the screen head is exposed and made to be part of the label design so that the cartridge can at least be opened up without any label damage. I actually cut a hole in the center of my label so I could access the screw to update the SDcard as needed. If you use one large enough, you can encode a few movies onto it and keep them in a folder where the only the main movie you want to be active, is copied to the root of the SDcart to be played.

Getting a printed one.  I was noticing that issue but I like the extenders that have been posted here.  That may be the way to go.

8 hours ago, eightbit said:

This may have been asked before...but I couldn't find it.

Is there any way to encode videos that Moviecart likes without using TouchDesigner? 

I run Linux on my primary system. I tried installing Windows 7 and Windows 10 inside of Virtualbox and then Touch Designer inside of that with basically no success. The latest version does not want to install in 7, but will install in 10. But, it will not launch due to the lack of Vulkan in the virtual environment. I even tried older versions of TD in the Windows 7 environment and got one to launch but it doesn't display correctly.

Really don't want to install Windows on this machine just to make some movies ;)

Unfortunately not.
You'll have to run it on Windows 10, or Mac OSX.
It relies heavily on the GPU to speed things up, though there's a CPU option you can toggle on after it starts.
I'm hoping eventually people may share different free vids somewhere so you don't have to encode everyone yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbairos said:

Unfortunately not.
You'll have to run it on Windows 10, or Mac OSX.
It relies heavily on the GPU to speed things up, though there's a CPU option you can toggle on after it starts.
I'm hoping eventually people may share different free vids somewhere so you don't have to encode everyone yourself.

Its ironic that you need a somewhat powerful modern machine in order to encode movies that will play on a VCS ;)

I hope people do share some things that they encode.

27 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I hope people do share some things that they encode.

My sentiments exactly. Because I am not good when it comes to modern computers and modern programs. So I’m hoping a dedicated thread will start where people can post and share premade plug and play files, similar to how rom files are posted for the special SD card cartridges.

I want the 3 main “staples”. Raiders of the Lost Arc, Star Wars, and Back to the Future. 🙂

31 minutes ago, Supergun said:

My sentiments exactly. Because I am not good when it comes to modern computers and modern programs. So I’m hoping a dedicated thread will start where people can post and share premade plug and play files, similar to how rom files are posted for the special SD card cartridges.

I want the 3 main “staples”. Raiders of the Lost Arc, Star Wars, and Back to the Future. 🙂

The only problem with this is you are in fact suggesting we promote a form of piracy here and that isn't something I'm personally interested in being a part of... my apologies.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Supergun said:

Yes only 'Free' vids as I mentioned earlier.  Public domain movies, old ads etc. Stuff youtube wouldn't have any issue with.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rbairos said:

Cheers.

I double checked again this morning and you are absolutely correct!!! Mine are in fact spring loaded. One of them is really stiff though so it doesn't exactly retract properly. Feels like something might be binding on the SDcard preventing it from springing out properly. The other one works correctly. 

Even with that, at full sprung out position the SD card comes within about 1mm of the edge of the actual cartridge shell. So it would still be difficult to get an actual grip on it where it currently sits. Again, the SD slot can be brought further to the edge to allow for a more flush fit with the shell if an opening were made for it. But you stated you didn't want to do that as it didn't fit with your idea behind the cartridge as a whole. So the extensions are the best route for those that want an easier way to change the movies out on their cartridge.

7 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I double checked again this morning and you are absolutely correct!!! Mine are in fact spring loaded. One of them is really stiff though so it doesn't exactly retract properly. Feels like something might be binding on the SDcard preventing it from springing out properly. The other one works correctly. 

Even with that, at full sprung out position the SD card comes within about 1mm of the edge of the actual cartridge shell. So it would still be difficult to get an actual grip on it where it currently sits. Again, the SD slot can be brought further to the edge to allow for a more flush fit with the shell if an opening were made for it. But you stated you didn't want to do that as it didn't fit with your idea behind the cartridge as a whole. So the extensions are the best route for those that want an easier way to change the movies out on their cartridge.

That's great info. Thanks for checking.
Im not against moving the sd card closer to the edge, but it still needs to fit inside an unmodified combat cart when inserted, so  I think as it is now, its as far left as it can go.
I do like the look of those solid-piece extenders though.

Here are some pics of the one I did cut a slot into the side of the cartridge as a test.

On this one the SD slot with the SD card inserted is pretty much right on the interior edge of the cart shell. 

20240514_073141.thumb.jpg.4694a207c14bb9f004f3ab5f0291d40d.jpg

with the SD card pushed to release position it is close to the edge of the shell but still not quite enough to grip it. 

20240514_073206.thumb.jpg.d5d5b805fa82737420a6ff86b9507b97.jpg

So the small solid pcb extender might just do the job for those that want to more easily change out the movies. 

Another option is to not use the actual center screw to secure the cartridge in place so that you can pop it open when you want. 

• Like 1