IGNORED

Movie Cart

rbairos

1 minute ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Tweezers :ponder: 

Sure, that is another option. I don't personally keep a pair of tweezers in the game room but yes that would work. I'd likely still have the issue with missing the slot when trying to insert the SD card back in and loose it within the cartridge housing. Similar to what I've done more than a few times with my 7800GD.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

On this one the SD slot with the SD card inserted is pretty much right on the interior edge of the cart shell. 

20240514_073141.thumb.jpg.4694a207c14bb9f004f3ab5f0291d40d.jpg

with the SD card pushed to release position it is close to the edge of the shell but still not quite enough to grip it. 

Is the edge ridge on the microSD card pointing up or down? I ask because I had considered using a Dremel to carve out a conical concave ridge to allow my thumbnail access to catch and begin pulling out the card. Do you think that might be enough to make this functional? It's so close! Then again, as mentioned above, I might just end up fumbling the card into the case and then having to open it anyway. :D 

10 minutes ago, Supergun said:

My sentiments exactly. Because I am not good when it comes to modern computers and modern programs. So I’m hoping a dedicated thread will start where people can post and share premade plug and play files, similar to how rom files are posted for the special SD card cartridges.

I want the 3 main “staples”. Raiders of the Lost Arc, Star Wars, and Back to the Future. 🙂

I think it's not going to be easy to obtain those types of movies due to the legality of the thing. 

Unfortunately my computers are not super powerful to begin with. My main machine is a core i3 from 2013.

8 minutes ago, sfish said:

Is the edge ridge on the microSD card pointing up or down? I ask because I had considered using a Dremel to carve out a conical concave ridge to allow my thumbnail access to catch and begin pulling out the card. Do you think that might be enough to make this functional? It's so close! Then again, as mentioned above, I might just end up fumbling the card into the case and then having to open it anyway. :D 

If you make the hole REALLY big you can just shake the card out if it ever falls in!

1 minute ago, sfish said:

I think the micro SD cards I use are just flat surface and don't have any ridges on the edge. I know the ones that came with my Movie carts are flat at least.

4 hours ago, Supergun said:

My sentiments exactly. Because I am not good when it comes to modern computers and modern programs. So I’m hoping a dedicated thread will start where people can post and share premade plug and play files, similar to how rom files are posted for the special SD card cartridges.

I want the 3 main “staples”. Raiders of the Lost Arc, Star Wars, and Back to the Future. 🙂

We can't openly flaut copyright law out in public, so that's a non-starter.  

But I do love the idea of making a list of totally 80s movies that would be good to convert to the required format.  Adding to the list, in no particular order...

Raiders of the Lost Ark/Temple of Doom

Star Wars original trilogy

Back to the Future

Big Trouble in Little China

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

The Karate Kid

Ghostbusters

Jaws

Flash Gordon
The Goonies

Repo Man

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Weird Science

Real Genius

Top Gun

Revenge of the Nerds

Superman

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

The Black Hole

Krull

Legend 

Willow

The Dark Crystal

What else would you like to see?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Blue Brothers

Platoon

Blade Runner

Rainman

Harry and Sally

Full Metal Jacket

The Killing Fields

Das Boot

Witness

The Color Purple

Good Morning Vietnam

The Untouchables

Mississippi Burning

Raising Arizona

Ran

Brazil

Do the right Thing

Blue Velvet 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rietveld said:

where can i get the software to vonvert mp4 to the movie cart

The info is found on the github link on the first post of this thread I believe. That is where I found the links for how to convert the movies etc.

https://github.com/lodefmode/moviecart

3 hours ago, guppy said:

We can't openly flaunt copyright law out in public, so that's a non-starter.

What else would you like to see?

Can we at least get the original Dragon’s Lair; at the bare minimum, just the attract mode in a loop.

And, at some point, the entire game running through complete with the ending.

This is an absolute must for me as it’s the key thing I need to have on display at my yearly game expo.

(closest thing to having a 2600 Dragon’s Lair cartridge and how I intend to label the cart as well)

1 hour ago, Supergun said:

Can we at least get the original Dragon’s Lair; at the bare minimum, just the attract mode in a loop.

And, at some point, the entire game running through complete with the ending.

This is an absolute must for me as it’s the key thing I need to have on display at my yearly game expo.

(closest thing to having a 2600 Dragon’s Lair cartridge and how I intend to label the cart as well)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rietveld said:

I can confirm that the Movie Cart works on the intellivision II using the System Changer add on.

Very nice. Thanks for the info!

Just curious, I noticed you used a 2600 Coleco cartridge shell rather then a standard Atari brand shell. Any particular reason?

Like was it just personal preference or what you happened to have on-hand, or does the board fit better inside that shell than an Atari shell?

3 hours ago, Supergun said:

Very nice. Thanks for the info!

Just curious, I noticed you used a 2600 Coleco cartridge shell rather then a standard Atari brand shell. Any particular reason?

Like was it just personal preference or what you happened to have on-hand, or does the board fit better inside that shell than an Atari shell?

i just liked the color of the shell.  it matches up well with the INTV

Posted (edited)

Is anyone running the encoder using the Intel Mac version of TouchDesigner?   

@rbairos 's tutorial is so straightforward that I'm not sure how to debug this issue further.   

I registered TouchDesigner and loaded the default sample MP4 and then kicked off the encoding by clicking on the "Final Render" off/ON toggle switch.   The interface seems to go through the motions but then no file appears at the end.

I've tried diff paths and even short file names.  Every once in a while, an 8kb file will appear but that's it.

Screen Shot 2024-05-16 at 5.41.06 PM.jpg

SOLVED:   Strange.  Looks like even though I launch the encoder with my user, it invoked TouchDesigner with another account?   Once I 777'd the output directory, it worked.

Edited by RockLobster
SOLUTION

31 minutes ago, RockLobster said:

SOLVED:   Strange.  Looks like even though I launch the encoder with my user, it invoked TouchDesigner with another account?   Once I 777'd the output directory, it worked.

Okay nice.
I'm not super familiar with Mac's but was guessing a permissions issue.
Others might run into this problem, my bad for outputting the file in the same location as the installation.
Should perhaps the default output File point somewhere more useful? Is there a standard $USERPROFILE type location for these kinds of things?

EDIT: Or if you hit the + icon, and pick a location somewhere else, it creates the file without issue?

So my MC arrived today. The bubble mailer didn’t fair very well but the PCB was safe and sound in the box. 

So I swapped out the stock sd card and replaced it with my Cinemax SW rip and popped the PCB in my 7800 and Booom! Amazing. And my Dragon’s Lair ripped also worked flawlessly. 

Thanks Rob for this amazing project. When I first saw it on ZPH I was in amazement but at the time it seemed very intimidating. But you evolved it nicely and made it pretty simple to do. I have a bunch of my movies ripped and sitting on a Plex server so I just needed Touch Designer to convert them to the movie cart format. 

Thanks again. I love this thing. And will likely grab a couple more down the road when everyone has had a shot to get their own. 

IMG_7069.jpeg

IMG_7061.jpeg

IMG_7062.jpeg

IMG_7064.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rbairos said:

I'm not super familiar with Mac's but was guessing a permissions issue.

So it SEEMS to be one...  BUT guess what, I fired it back up again and it had a problem until I changed it to read/write for everyone AGAIN even though the directory was already set.   I don't know what's going on.

Others might run into this problem, my bad for outputting the file in the same location as the installation.

Well as I've discovered, it seems to be a permissions adjacent problem but unsure why.  I look back at the created MVC files and they are stamped w/ my user info.

Should perhaps the default output File point somewhere more useful? Is there a standard $USERPROFILE type location for these kinds of things?

EDIT: Or if you hit the + icon, and pick a location somewhere else, it creates the file without issue?

I don't know if that would help now that the problem is repeatable at least on my Mac.   

Hoping someone else can replicate.  I'm running MacOS 12.6.8 on a Mac Pro (late 2013)

Well either way it's working well enough. :)   Would be amazing to have a command line converter or something VLC can handle.

https://streamable.com/ubr5gl

Edited by RockLobster