IGNORED

Movie Cart

rbairos

2 hours ago, Philsan said:

Address updated to Switzerland!

No change on my end unfortunately.
Sent you a message.
Hoping to do the bulk of these tomorrow if you can update me tonight that would be ideal.
Cheers.

I finally got my Combat donor cart purchased cheaply from eBay for use for a Movie Cart shell:

image.png.aae3a63d713b5a845aeb699d6e3153ed.png

Replacing the guts with the Movie Cart electronics and using the SD card extender mentioned earlier in this thread made for a pretty slick end result (I tested the cart multiple times before each step, just to make sure everything was in working order before I got to the no-return steps):

image.thumb.png.717ec8ae334556e7d73adb1ed653987e.png 

To cut a notch in the upper half of the cartridge shell (where the top label goes) to accommodate the extender, I had pretty good luck with a box cutter.  I cut a notch on each side and whittled away a little bit of plastic at at time, and at the end just held the edge of the blade orthogonal to the surface and rubbed away the final plastic bits.  The cut looks more professional from farther away. :)

image.thumb.png.27d924f2f941494a4956a2ec02bc56ee.png

• Like 6

3 hours ago, littaum said:

I finally got my Combat donor cart purchased cheaply from eBay for use for a Movie Cart shell:

image.png.aae3a63d713b5a845aeb699d6e3153ed.png

Replacing the guts with the Movie Cart electronics and using the SD card extender mentioned earlier in this thread made for a pretty slick end result (I tested the cart multiple times before each step, just to make sure everything was in working order before I got to the no-return steps):

image.thumb.png.717ec8ae334556e7d73adb1ed653987e.png 

To cut a notch in the upper half of the cartridge shell (where the top label goes) to accommodate the extender, I had pretty good luck with a box cutter.  I cut a notch on each side and whittled away a little bit of plastic at at time, and at the end just held the edge of the blade orthogonal to the surface and rubbed away the final plastic bits.  The cut looks more professional from farther away. :)

image.thumb.png.27d924f2f941494a4956a2ec02bc56ee.png

This looks great 👍🏼 

• Like 1

My MovieCart ha been dispatched! Excited and happy to be joining the party soon. :)

I thought I'd take a look at the videos already encoded, but the Google links are not working, are they stored somewhere else now?

The links noted here are dead:

moviecart/docs/How_To_Update_Content.txt at main · lodefmode/moviecart (github.com)

Thanks.

13 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

My MovieCart ha been dispatched! Excited and happy to be joining the party soon. :)

I thought I'd take a look at the videos already encoded, but the Google links are not working, are they stored somewhere else now?

The links noted here are dead:

moviecart/docs/How_To_Update_Content.txt at main · lodefmode/moviecart (github.com)

Thanks.

It's working for me.
First one for example:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dqfl3UvPZDhm9WUWdjGjJoQySyb--Gze

(You'll need Gopher at this point as Stella 7.0 isn't available without compiling).

Is there, or will there be a place we can share videos that we have already encoded with other MC owners? I am thinking of non copyright movies, like the one supplied with the cart or for example Steamboat Willie.

A quick Bing search and I ended up here:

The 50+ Best Copyright Free Movies, Ranked (ranker.com)

A few interesting looking movies, at least from their titles... The Last Man on Earth, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, White Zombie, Reefer Madness, The Brain that Wouldn't Die, Indestructible Man, and of course... Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

I also saw this:

List of films in the public domain in the United States - Wikipedia

It includes.. Debbie Does Dallas! Not that I am suggesting that anyone encode it. Haha

If anyone does, NTSC, PAL, PAL60 and SECAM should be encoded to be inclusive to all.

@rbairos This could help to promote your product, a ready made library out there, and people would then probably share clips on YouTube etc which would further promote MovieCart.

EDIT:

I also found this:

Public Domain Full movies - YouTube

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

For those who are in the UK, I purchased these:

Cablecc 5pcs/lot Micro SD TF Memory Card Kit Male to Female Extension Adapter Extender Test Tools PCBA Reader for Car GPS Phone: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

£7.99 for 5, good value. I have just tried one with my laptop and it worked fine, I assume it will be ok with the Movie Cart too, we will see,

I also have a donor Combat cart ready to go.

• Like 1

I finally got around to playing around with my Movie Cart tonight. I encoded a Looney Tunes short and put it on the cart. I'm now thinking of maybe doing a whole compilation (putting a bunch of shorts into one movie file).

Are people creating their own boxes for their Movie Carts? I was thinking it might be cool to take an old clamshell VHS box and adapt it for this.

9 hours ago, chicgamer said:

I finally got around to playing around with my Movie Cart tonight. I encoded a Looney Tunes short and put it on the cart. I'm now thinking of maybe doing a whole compilation (putting a bunch of shorts into one movie file).

Are people creating their own boxes for their Movie Carts? I was thinking it might be cool to take an old clamshell VHS box and adapt it for this.

Would one of those universal game cases work well for that? I seem to recall the molding on the plastic for those allows for all sorts of cartridges to be fit inside it pretty well and that they were clamshell?

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 8:58 AM, JetmanUK said:

Is there, or will there be a place we can share videos that we have already encoded with other MC owners? I am thinking of non copyright movies, like the one supplied with the cart or for example Steamboat Willie.

I'm actually surprised there aren't any uploaded to Archive.org yet. If I ever upgrade my PC to be able to run TouchDesigner I'll be doing that :)

10 hours ago, chicgamer said:

When I first started the project I created full boxes + instruction manuals to go with each movie.
Not sure if I stlil have the template files I made. Had one for outside and one for inside.

https://github.com/lodefmode/moviecart/blob/main/docs/screenshot.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Would one of those universal game cases work well for that? I seem to recall the molding on the plastic for those allows for all sorts of cartridges to be fit inside it pretty well and that they were clamshell?

That's actually a good question. I think I may have one of those around somewhere. Thanks for the suggestion!

3 hours ago, rbairos said:

When I first started the project I created full boxes + instruction manuals to go with each movie.
Not sure if I stlil have the template files I made. Had one for outside and one for inside.

https://github.com/lodefmode/moviecart/blob/main/docs/screenshot.jpg

Those boxes are awesome!

5 hours ago, killersquirel said:

That works best for me. It would be the difference between 1am and 1pm, and 1pm is better. Thanks again! I think I can get one today.

Sorry just put them up 5 minutes late!