IGNORED

Movie Cart

rbairos

7 minutes ago, rbairos said:

Sorry just put them up 5 minutes late!

I was able to put my order in! Thanks for giving me advanced notice for getting this. I got two, one for me and one for my nephew. When 1pm (7pm EDT) came around I hit the refresh button twice waiting for it to drop. 

Edited by killersquirel
  • Like 1

My cart arrived! Wow, so soon! Thank you! 🤟🏻😁

A quick and slightly rough transplant later and I have a very nice MovieCart. 

IMG_20240618_145621.thumb.jpg.af166718427ac404a776dcecf24c57ff.jpg

IMG_20240618_145604.thumb.jpg.a390a7fba867196e312358ff9e9c8b88.jpg

IMG_20240618_145529.thumb.jpg.5d2ecca42128b7786bc806cc33e34619.jpg

I can confirm that the SD extenders that I previously linked here work just fine. 

Now I have to find some time to learn the software. Anyone have any PAL public domain videos they can share in the meantime? 🤔😊

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Now I have to find some time to learn the software. Anyone have any PAL public domain videos they can share in the meantime? 🤔😊

Awesome, thanks! 
I've tried setting up the software to be as quick to use as possible.
Hopefully its just a matter of installing it, launching the encoder file, picking an mp4 and hitting 'Final Render'.
Let me know what the rougher spots are.
Cheers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rbairos said:

Awesome, thanks! 
Hopefully its just a matter of installing it, launching the encoder file, picking an mp4 and hitting 'Final Render'.
Cheers.

Downloaded and had a tiny play around, seemed super simple!

I think I'll make that slot a little nicer and less rough and then encode some music videos tonight. The plan is to encode some videos of my daughter ready for her birthday party this weekend. 

What a fun curiosity this is, great fun. 🤟🏻😊

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rbairos said:

Sorry to ask, but if anybody would like to leave a review on Tindie, I'd much appreciate it.
Happy to get more out there in the coming weeks.
Cheers,
Rob

Will do it later! 😊🤟🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rbairos said:

Awesome, thanks! 
Cheers.

Is there a way to set PAL60 as the default format when you open the encoder file? It is always set to NTSC and I need to remember to change it, no worries if not.

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Is there a way to set PAL60 as the default format when you open the encoder file? It is always set to NTSC and I need to remember to change it, no worries if not.

Really easy.
Startup the encoder.toe
Set it to PAL60 or whatever else you like.
On the settings page click 'Save Session'.
Choose a name to save the new file.
Now launching *that* file will have PAL60 and your other settings intact.

Cheers.

• Like 2

I ripped The Invisible Man, currently watching it on a 55 inch OLED, Lego-Vision! 

Pretty fun though. 😊

IMG_20240621_210245.thumb.jpg.7e0f14f9f103c51d6e2d40421422d1ad.jpg

IMG_20240621_210822.thumb.jpg.6cec85850a5a808a7f388ab57237e1e4.jpg

It feels like watching a ZX Spectrum, that's a compliment btw, I love the good old Speccy. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

@rbairos

I was just encoding a movie and it struck me that I should use standard PAL instead of PAL60 as the greater resoltuion should lead to better image quailty, but still the same screen size on my TV, it that correct? The lower frame rate won't matter anyway for a movie, the DVD will be encoded at less than 30FPS anwyay, so why use PAL60?

10 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

@rbairos

I was just encoding a movie and it struck me that I should use standard PAL instead of PAL60 as the greater resoltuion should lead to better image quailty, but still the same screen size on my TV, it that correct?

More pixel but also more noticeable flicker. I suppose which is better is subjective.

19 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

More pixel but also more noticeable flicker. I suppose which is better is subjective.

Right, thanks for your input Thomas.

Also thinking that as it's not a game input lag is no issue, so TV settings you'd usually turn off can be used to improve this, settings that clean up MPEG compression may help with general image quality too, there are a lot of settings on my LG OLED. 

Edited by JetmanUK
Clarified image quality comments.

13 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It also occurred to me in watching some of these, that I imagine this is somewhat similar to what watching through a mechanical TV might be like?

Yeah I think so, I can almost hear a clunking of the cogs and gears. 

Hi,

I've got your Moviecart today, thanks a lot.

I downloaded the Touchdesigner software for Windows, but it doesn't work since it requires vulkan DLL files not available for my Intel HD Graphics (i've a Core I5-6200 Old CPU, new drivers are not available).

Is there some other way to convert an MP4 to MVC format? Offline or Online? for Windows 7 or Windows 10/11.

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by dg67

So this is a turn up for the books!

PAL has always been a curse, we all know that, but I tried both a PAL and a PAL60 encoded clip on my TV and noted how much of the vertical display it used. Both clips obvioulsy had PAL’s 24 less colours than NTSC issue, we can't do anything about that. But, PAL in the case of MovieCart has one advantage, a larger screen! The PAL clip I checked against a PAL60 one on my TV covered more of the vertical area.

Yes it has more flicker, but not noticeable to me, perhaps as I have the various enhancement settings turned on on my TV for watching MovieCart (I flip the TV back to game mode for games). How ironic as we have always had a smaller picture despite the higher resolution, yeah due to poor PAL conversions, but that was our reality.

A small win for PAL. Finally!

(I just wish we had the same palette as NTSC).

I think all my future encodes will be PAL, a little bonus too, smaller file size on the SD card. :)

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

I finally got one. Every time I got an email from Tindie, they where sold out in minutes.

Thanks for including a movie. One less headache in making sure it works when the user gets it.

Here I'm using it on a light sixer on an old portable Sony. Hooked up with the RF switch because I can't find any of my 75 to 300 ohm adapters.

Still has good picture. Sound is pretty impressive for this too.

moviecart01.thumb.jpg.72c9c5ad60292974b4bdaf06df4fece8.jpgmoviecart02.thumb.jpg.b6e1b1eaa676a9856582bbc8b22c74b1.jpgmoviecart03.thumb.jpg.00cb4818764b5d1c6da224b5b891ef47.jpgmoviecart04.thumb.jpg.9f4cb162d2bf0e2c1b3b71a0ac94f21d.jpg

• Like 1

I see that the video software is available for both Windows and Mac, but I don't see the encoding stuff from the GitHub having a Mac version. I started to encode a movie on my windows machine (which is the new Atari VCS) and that takes a long time to encode. I have a new Mac and would love to encode a movie on that. 

29 minutes ago, killersquirel said:

I see that the video software is available for both Windows and Mac, but I don't see the encoding stuff from the GitHub having a Mac version. I started to encode a movie on my windows machine (which is the new Atari VCS) and that takes a long time to encode. I have a new Mac and would love to encode a movie on that. 

It's just the same encoder.toe you run on TouchDesigner. On the derivative.ca website you can download and install TouchDesigner for either Windows or Mac. 

Cheers