IGNORED

December 1994

chrisbid

i find it interesting to see how many people still were involved with the NES at this point, i had sadly sold mine off to help me buy some genesis games, i regret that, as i kept my NES in great shape

Even though I was still playing my NES, I sold alot of my games off to FuncoLand in return for used SNES games that sucked. Bad move.

the SNES ($99) had finally taken back the lead from Sega, mostly due to the outstanding (from a technical standpoint) Donkey Kong Country. The rendered graphics were a sight to behold, and blew away anything else ever seen on a 16 bit system

Didn't DKC come out in 1993? I could be mistaken on this. I do remember the SNES finally pulling ahead of the Genesis, though both were having declining sales.. One thing I do remember though: Both the Genesis and SNES still outsold all the "next generation" consoles combined in the US. I think the SNES sold 2.9 million and the Genesis sold 2.3 that year ....

the Sega Genesis ($99) was starting to fade from the picture, Sonic & Knuckles was the major release, and while very innovative with  

its lock-on technology, Sonic 3 had kindof spoiled the series a bit

IIRC, wasn't that the time that Vectorman came out? While it didn't get the splash of DKC, I remember that being "the big" game around then. I also remember seeing TOY STORY and going, "WOW ... they did *THAT* on a Genesis?"

the Sega 32X ($149) had just been released to decent reviews. Console players had their first taste of Doom

It was also out on the Jaguar at the same time. :-)

Atari Jaguar (249 - maybe less?) Im pretty fuzzy with the Jag's status, was the CD player out yet at this point? One year after its release, and sales seem to be sluggish

The Jaguar CD didn't hit the market until the next fall, when the Playstation was out. Like the 3DO, the sales were sluggish. Atari had promised a bunch of games, but the tough Jaguar architecture and poor dev tools meant that everything was delayed. There were only 14 or so games on the market at the time. Because they missed that window, they were streamrolled when Sony came along.

At the time, I was still playing 8-bits. I had my Sega Master System and my 7800 (poor student) and foolishly sold them that year for a bargain basement price, sending GOLDEN AXE WARRIOR, KUNG FU MASTER and a bunch of other rare titles onto the market for much less than they're worth today. LOL.

what systems did you own?

Super NES with Super Gameboy adapter

Genesis with Sega CD and Power Base Converter

Game Gear with Master Gear Converter

what systems were you looking at and/or excited about?

I was excited about the Sega CD at that time, but I was also into maxing out on a collection of Gameboy gameware for the Super Gameboy.

what systems turned you off?

Sega 32X, which did look somewhat impressive, but after finding out that it also required a separate AC adapter to run the thing (like the Sega CD), I said no way. The 3DO was too expensive and too busy trying to be something more than just a game machine.

what games/genres were you into?

Games like Donkey Kong Country, which I didn't buy until mid-1995. I tried getting into the Mortal Kombat kind of games, but I couldn't learn them enough to fight my way out of a virtual paper bag. I thought Doom was interesting, but was miffed that it was only available for the Sega 32X at that time. Had to wait until the fall of 1995 to enjoy it on the SNES.

were retrogames an important part of the hobby?

Yes.

Gawdamn... 1994. That was pretty much just like only yesterday!

Well, I had gotten out of college by then and was working as an Engineer at the local Telephone Company. Weren't the big 3 at that time still the Genny, SNES, and TG-16? Well naturally I had 'em all and bought whatever game caught my fancy for them. I think the Sega CD and the 32x came out around those times as well. Whatever it was I got it. Also the PSX was soon to be out if not out already.

That's about all I remember actually. Usually if I wasn't gaming, I was out on the town drinking or attempting to flirt with whatever chick I could find.

Nope. DKC was 1994. I got it that year. DKC2 was 1995, DKC3 was 1996. I got one each year. I was hoping for one each year so I was hoping for a DKC4 in 1997, but that never happened. :roll:

That year I got DKC1. It was such a damn cool game. Still is, but got overshadowed the next year by DKC2 and now goes less remembered. Well, until they released the GBA version. Still..

Other than that, I was just a Nintendo player. Never touched a Sega system. Well, except my friend had a Game Gear and I was impressed by the colored lit screen and such, but never thought to get one.

94 was the "dark days" for me. I had sold of my collection of O2, NES, and just about anything else I could get so I could afford a SNES. And luckly my B-day is in late November (just in time for the new NHL game) So I spent all my time kiding in my lil Super Mario World trying to get past the hells of high school.

I still had a gameboy at that time but the only time that saw the light of day was extended family trips in the van.

The golden age of semi-classic gaming and I spent it locked away in a nintendo world, sheesh :)

Hmm ... my memory is definitely hazy on DKC. I too, remember it being a tremendous leapforward and, after seeing it, Vector Man, Killier Instinct and Toy Story, really marveling at how much 16-bit games in that year or two had advanced from the original ones created when the Genesis and SNES had originally launched. It was like the bar went flying through the ceiling all of a sudden.

1994? Well I had the regular classic systems like the 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision (CV). I still had my original CV console and games from the 80's, and I used to seek out CV games at Flea Mkts and Garage Sales. In the spring of that year I picked up a 486DX2-66 computer, my desire to become proficient in AutoCad was the deciding factor to buy. So of course I played a fair bit of Doom on the PC.

I had a SNES and Genesis, and used to pick up lots of games used a few months after they had been released and traded in. I did however purchase Mortal Kombat II for the SNES on release and played this one to death. Where I lived in Ontario, Canada this game was a massive release. I remember the British magazine Games Master calling this game the top game of the decade or something to that effect, when there was plenty of future still to come! Despite what others might think I thought this was an excellent time for gaming as Nintendo & Sega had battled neck in neck trying to gain an advantage....which really benefited the consumer. New systems were just around the corner, and on the classic side of things there wasn't a little thing called "eBay", so mostly you were only competing with other classic gamers for the classic goodies.

Chris.

In regards to Donkey Kong Country, I found this game to be visually very impressive, but on viewing it I noticed that there didn't seem to be all that much action on the screen at any one time. I don't know if the SNES's slow processor imposed limits, but they could have had more enemies on screen simultaneously, and varied the enemies a bit more. Strictly from a visual perspective this game was groundbreaking, but I'm not sure about it's long term replay value..........I'd still much prefer Super Mario World as far as side scrollers go, and I'm not a big side scroller fan.

Chris.

The college favorite was SUPER TENNIS.  That game was great (I still have it).

Yes, a great multiplayer game. I haven't played it in 10 years, but I can still hear the game music in my head.

tum...tam-tada-tam.....tadad :D

Super Tennis was good for me bcause there was a player called Brian, but I was Bryan but still to me it was the same thing! I allways played in the HARD court and still do to this day with my father! :P

A2600 presents Dec. 1994

8 years old in full gaming fulgore!!!!

Had:

New NES (Oct. 1994) B-DayGift

SNES (Jan. 1992) Christmas Gift

New Genesis 2 (Dec. 1994) Christmas Day

Sega Master System II (Oct. 1992) B-Day Gift

Sega Game Gear (Dec. 1993) Christmas Gift

Nintendo Game Boy (Oct. 1991) B-Day Gift

Super Game Boy (1994)

Super Advantage (1994)

Wanted: for 1995

Nintendo Power

Super R-Type  

NBA Give and Go

Sega Game Gear  

I know its alot of stuff for being 8 years old but my parents where divorced (1993) and I got double the gifts... :D  :D  

and I had a very nice godmother!! :D  

and thats it have a nice one but the sad part is that my grand mother threw away my 2600 in 1993 :x

spoiled, spoiled. *shakes head sadly*

I was too embittered by Atari's total abandonment of the 8-bits and Lynx in '92 and '94 to be involved in gaming. I remember that, by that point, I had (foolishly) given away my entire set of Lynx games, original "Pong" machine, and most of my 8-bit collection. :(

A2600 presents Dec. 1994

8 years old in full gaming fulgore!!!!

Had:

New NES (Oct. 1994) B-DayGift

SNES (Jan. 1992) Christmas Gift

New Genesis 2 (Dec. 1994) Christmas Day

Sega Master System II (Oct. 1992) B-Day Gift

Sega Game Gear (Dec. 1993) Christmas Gift

Nintendo Game Boy (Oct. 1991) B-Day Gift

Super Game Boy (1994)

Super Advantage (1994)

Wanted: for 1995

Nintendo Power

Super R-Type  

NBA Give and Go

Sega Game Gear  

I know its alot of stuff for being 8 years old but my parents where divorced (1993) and I got double the gifts... :D  :D  

and I had a very nice godmother!! :D  

and thats it have a nice one but the sad part is that my grand mother threw away my 2600 in 1993 :x

spoiled, spoiled. *shakes head sadly*

I was too embittered by Atari's total abandonment of the 8-bits and Lynx in '92 and '94 to be involved in gaming. I remember that, by that point, I had (foolishly) given away my entire set of Lynx games, original "Pong" machine, and most of my 8-bit collection. :(

Thank You! :D

1994 hmm, I graduated just a year before and was lucky to find a nice job so I was very busy with my new job and had very little spare time, but during weekends I kept playing mostly PC and SNES games that year.

I had these systems back in 1994:

2- Atari Jrs (1 with built in games and like 30 carts)

1- NES 72 pins US version with Lightgun (10 carts or so)

1- SNES with 2 controllers (5 carts)

2- PCs (1 XT and 1 486)

It wasn't until 1995/1996 that I started collecting Atari stuff in a serious way, I remember one of the things that motivated me to start collecting was to find a 4 switch 2600A with woodgrain just like my first Atari console I owned in my School days, it stopped working one day after a couple of years, Nowadays the more I think of it I'm pretty sure it was just the Power Supply, but back then my parents tought it was useless and got rid of it, then they bought me a Jr. Console clone with 32 games built in and a few more carts, but it didn't felt the same, the NES was very refreshing as it offered "pretty graphics" compared to the classic 2600 games but still didn't make it up for me either, so that was part of my motivation to begin collecting Atari stuff again, of course by 1996 I had some cash to burn and my collecting habits got a little out of hand and started buying anything from Atari, Nintendo and PC software I could find.