IGNORED

PC8477BV-1 Floppy Controller

bluejay

I've began designing a floppy controller for my 6502 computer. It's based on the PC8477BV-1 floppy controller chip, interfaced with the 65C02 via a 65C22. However, there are a few questions I want to ask to those that have worked with the chip or just floppy drives in general.

The chip has a PC-AT mode, a Model 30 mode, and a PS/2 mode. I'm planning on choosing the PC-AT mode because, well, PC-AT seems to be the crudest of the 3 computers and I'm guessing it must be the simplest to interface with. Am I guessing wrong?

I'm not using DMA. I can just leave the pins related to DMA unconnected, right?

Spec sheets for various floppy drives seem to conflict with each other in certain locations. Right now, I've settled with this one; it's for a double density Samsung drive. Is there anything wrong with it?

floppypinout2.thumb.PNG.f2c8951d55179478e3dfdd2b849fbd58.PNG

There are 4 separate motor select pins on the controller chip for 4 separate floppy drives. There are 4 Drive Select pins on the picture above, but only one Motor On pin. Assuming they correspond to the Drive Select pins, Motor Select 1 is what I should connect the single Motor On pin, right?

The High and Low Filter pins are designated as "No connect. No external capacitor is required. An external capacitor can be connected, but will have no effect on the data separator performance." There isn't a problem with tying these pins to ground, is there?

There are two data rate pins. They're output pins but I can't figure out what they're supposed to be connected to. Can these just be ignored, or are they needed or wanted for some function that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance.