IGNORED

Why is the Atari stock so high?

Lord Mushroom

On 8/13/2022 at 5:37 PM, frankodragon said:

Speaking of Gamestop..here's a head scratcher...

image.thumb.png.3c819d207784e83adf79343443260893.png

So if you buy all in one, it will cost you $164 more than to buy separately.

Gamestop is being weird about the VCS, though, they clearly don't have the right info on the page. The price has been all over the place, but there is no actual availability, and they won't ship, either, so while the price keeps changing the units themselves remain unavailable to purchase. As far as I'm aware you haven't been able to actually buy one at Gamestop since they cleared them out during their $99 megasale.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Yes, there is a problem of Atari not being compliant or something on the stock exchange in the US, so there is virtually no trading going on there. All the trading is taking place in France.

Is there any way for Americans to buy some? It is not a serious investment but at this price I’m willing to lose a bit of money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Is there any way for Americans to buy some? It is not a serious investment but at this price I’m willing to lose a bit of money.

I am no expert, but I would imagine so. I don´t know how to go about doing it, though. It is probably a bit complicated as these casual investors are complaining about not being able to trade the stock:

https://stocktwits.com/symbol/PONGF

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 5:28 PM, jgkspsx said:

Well,  If you just want to throw money away...I could always use more :)

But seriously,  I have Atari SA (PONGF) on a Watch List in my Fidelity account,   so I guess just sign up (for a brokerage account or an IRA) with Fidelity* and there ya go!  

Strangely,  I just checked my watch list(s) and a bunch of OTC Stocks were coming up as Invalid Symbols...Now, currently with the Fed (being hawkish), and the War in Ukraine etc.,  The Market is an absolute Shitshow!  I don't know if these symbols (companies) are actually being delisted (or changing names (symbols)), or if it's just a glitch (FWIW, I am checking after the Market has closed)...However, when I enter the symbol manually (in a search) it comes right up and BUY and SELL options are active (or will be when the market is open).  

PS:  I think it was just a glitch, but I won't know until I check it tomorrow.

*Or any other broker, though I personally only recommend Fidelity or E-Trade.  (For reasons I don't want to discuss right now,  I Don't recommend TD Ameritrade, AG Edwards, or Wells Fargo).  IMO,  Fidelity is a pretty easy company to work with (virtually No Fees to trade) and they'd answer all your questions etc. 

https://www.fidelity.com/

PPS  Most penny stocks on my list are very easy to BUY/SELL,  but I haven't ever tried to buy PONGF so there might be more to it...

40 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

But seriously,  I have Atari SA (PONGF) on a Watch List in my Fidelity account,   so I guess just sign up (for a brokerage account or an IRA) with Fidelity* and there ya go!

I don´t think it is that easy. Based on two replies I have read, it seems you must buy the shares through their foreign desk, and that that involves significant fees. One buyer reported a $82.95 commission, a 1% currency conversion fee and a 0.3% French tax. In addition, the currency conversion rates may be unfavourable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Mushroom said:

In addition, the currency conversion rates may be unfavourable.

Right now is about the best ever time to be doing dollar transactions in the Eurozone since they're both effectively at parity:

image.thumb.png.b0cd7fe72f5b00fd5323328359e12786.png

Can't remember another time like this.  It's been close before, but the euro may actually slip under the dollar in the not-so-distant future.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Right now is about the best ever time to be doing dollar transactions in the Eurozone since they're both effectively at parity:

I mean that the conversion rate you are given may not be as good as the market rate (the rate for high volume currency traders). If that is the case, then that is effectively another fee.

• Like 2

I looked into buying 1000 shares ($100). They were going to charge a $50 international commission. I decided to preview just to see if they would let me, and nope:

5A671EE7-4A37-4633-A0F1-CD4DD964BCDD.thumb.jpeg.74b8563473f46c2e57bb91b839e0107a.jpeg

Same as the other platforms I’ve tried (though they didn’t have the obscene international fee). Oh well. I don’t have any real reason to buy it than a whim.

• Like 2

Makes sense. If they don't currently meet FINRA requirements (or the exchange-specific requirements) in the USA, international exchanges are likely to not allow US buyers to buy on their exchanges as well. (They aren't technically FORCED to do that, but since securities are "sue happy litigation land" most exchanges have a handshake agreement to uphold other requirements for buyers native to those jurisdictions.)

Generally the rules for exchanges are some version of "as long as you disclose all the risks you're fine" but with the advent of crypto, NFTs, and other extreme-risk securities, exchanges have now started setting "risk floors" and if something inherently becomes risky beyond that level they just delist it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I mean that the conversion rate you are given may not be as good as the market rate (the rate for high volume currency traders). If that is the case, then that is effectively another fee.

True.  My comment was really intended as a sidebar more than anything else, though I didn't make that explicitly clear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frankodragon said:

You probably want to hold off on buying those penny stocks as according to this article you're likely going to find it very difficult finding a buyer.  In other words, you're just throwing money away. 

I don´t know, but I think the volume of trading in the French-listed stock is sufficient for a casual investor. I have only seen the volume for one random day, but it was 100 000 euro that day. Even if you can´t find a buyer, the stock still has value due to expected future dividends.

Penny stocks are risky, though, as the article says.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I don´t know, but I think the volume of trading in the French-listed stock is sufficient for a casual investor. I have only seen the volume for one random day, but it was 100 000 euro that day. Even if you can´t find a buyer, the stock still has value due to expected future dividends.

Granted, we are talking penny stocks currently trading at €0.12, so a €100,000 volume is significant.  Thing is, Atari keeps diluting the value of its own stock (people are complaining about it in the PONGF thread), so the potential dividends are diminished.

It's funny how some of them are already calling for the head of Wade Rosen (and to some extent the board) for not turning the company into an intaglio press overnight.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

It's funny how some of them are already calling for the head of Wade Rosen (and to some extent the board) for not turning the company into an intaglio press overnight.

Yes, I think they are premature to call for that. But it is understandable, as the stock has dropped a lot, and now they are having great difficulties trading the stock.

I agree with them that Atari should address why they won´t do what it takes to be traded in the US again. If they simply intend to be delisted to save the annual $23 000 fee, they should say so. But not saying anything makes it seem likely that the true reason is an attempt to keep the stock price low until Wade Rosen is done buying new shares.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I'm not sure where you're getting that volume info,  but I've followed Atari SA from time to time,  like I say it's on one of my watch lists, and today the volume was (much higher than what I normally see) at 8,510.  That's 8,510 shares at .11 each = $936.10.  I think it's a very real possibility that if you bought PONGF, you'd have a hell of a time finding buyers when it came time to sell.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 9:41 PM, jgkspsx said:

I looked into buying 1000 shares ($100). They were going to charge a $50 international commission. I decided to preview just to see if they would let me, and nope:

5A671EE7-4A37-4633-A0F1-CD4DD964BCDD.thumb.jpeg.74b8563473f46c2e57bb91b839e0107a.jpeg

Same as the other platforms I’ve tried (though they didn’t have the obscene international fee). Oh well. I don’t have any real reason to buy it than a whim.

I tried too just for the hell of it,  and ran into the same exact thing.   (And the $50 fee also).

I've never seen this error/warning before with any other OTC...For that matter,  I've never seen that $50 fee before either.  FWIW,  I have recently bought Canadian and South African OTCs with no issues whatsoever...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I'm not sure where you're getting that volume info, 

It was one of the guys on Stocktwits who posted that information on one day to show people that the stock was trading in France.

I googled a little, and I found this place. If you set the graph to 1Y, and hover over the volume-graph, you can see the number of stocks traded for each day. It seems like the average daily volume of late is about $50 000-100 000.

https://live.euronext.com/en/product/equities/FR0010478248-XPAR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Lord Mushroom said:

It was one of the guys on Stocktwits who posted that information on one day to show people that the stock was trading in France.

I googled a little, and I found this place. If you set the graph to 1Y, and hover over the volume-graph, you can see the number of stocks traded for each day. It seems like the average daily volume of late is about $50 000-100 000.

https://live.euronext.com/en/product/equities/FR0010478248-XPAR

Interesting!

On my watch list it shows a volume for Today of 8,510,  with a 10 day average of 3,903,  and a 90 day average volume of 21,646...That's in shares traded.  Yours shows a volume of 678,133.

I have no idea, haha...(Wouldn't be the first time).  If I had a guess it would be the amounts for EURONEXT (Those BIG numbers) Vs. the amounts for (What they call) NASDAQ International program (OTC Compartment PONGF) (My numbers)...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

If I had a guess it would be the amounts for EURONEXT (Those BIG numbers) Vs. the amounts for (What they call) NASDAQ International program (OTC Compartment PONGF) (My numbers)...

Yes, this is the case. I should have written 50 000-100 000 euro to avoid confusion. If you go here, and click on 1Y, you can see the volume traded in the US:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/PONGF/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAM12lnOzvAA7z-ZTSKxgUzx0tZss_ddu4LjaDsi5ZVmkjGu08QfONQMFhPaFYPHHntQ4jgREjYWQyvv_wgBUOXEaBuejpl0lyUGRuwfAo2L9P6dYl04BU1qOJhJuv6zd3Yk5aKnui_0JrMwCHeTF1LNs8hR4EkBi91zVTyO1r9v8

If you hover at September 1st, you find your 8500 figure.

It seems trading in the US has always been much lower than in France.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2022 at 9:44 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

Yeah, heaven forbid if a CEO makes stuff customers actually want instead of quick money schemes for rich old stockholders... :roll:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hold on to your hats, ladies and gentlemen.  PONGF has reached the heady heights of 0.1520 per share.

13541917_ScreenShot2022-11-07at13_04_01.thumb.png.4052b653f29096e34388c1f2fd99f4f1.png

And, for up-to-the-minute* values on everyone's favourite tech stock that's sure* to make you Internet rich*:

https://www.dividendinvestor.com/dividend-news/?symbol=pongf

* These are lies.

• Haha 3