IGNORED

Videopac g7000 rgb mod

• 1 month later...

LOL, somebody stole my idea :)

I just picked up a G7000 and had seen some other mod PCBs and where it was connected to on the main PCB and figured, I could design that in SMD and have it fit right over the pins of the IC on the main board.....

And now I googled this.

Any plans on doing a run of them ? I’m also in The Netherlands so shipping costswon’t be an issue ;) 

Edited by Level42

• 2 years later...

Unfortunately as it seems usual with this user he states that he will make it public his projects but after some pictures and posts vanishes.

I had contacted him back in 2018 for his initial RGB design for G7400 and never got any response.

Let's see if we can get a real open source design somewhere.

3 hours ago, Quickie said:

Unfortunately as it seems usual with this user he states that he will make it public his projects but after some pictures and posts vanishes.

I had contacted him back in 2018 for his initial RGB design for G7400 and never got any response.

Let's see if we can get a real open source design somewhere.

It's life. It happens sometimes. My initial idea was to put every mod I ever designed on a website. Which I ended up having totally no time for whatsoever since it is all hobby. Maybe I should have made that clear at some point. I'm sorry that I was not able to deliver my design to you. Schematics are publicly available though. I never designed anything for the 7400, just the 7000. Should you still want the design I'd be happy to attach it here for you. 

Posted (edited)

As said, here are the gerber files to this design. I have never bothered cleaning up the schematics for this one. Also, keep in mind that I am by no means a professional electrical engineer. Just an enthousiastic hobby-ist. The design for this mod comes from the schematics that are in my Intellivision album, and I believe they come from the schematics for the RGB output of the 7400, although I can't remember exactely. I uploaded those way back in 2017-ish I believe. If you have no experience soldering 0402 or QFN packages I suggest passing on this. It is small-ish. I like to use a microscope for this kind of work. Nowadays I'd go down to 0201 to be fair. It just looks more clean on the board. 

I had always envisioned to release these designs into the wild and have people toy with and improve upon them. If there is one thing your post did it is have me rethink the whole website idea and move my designs to Github. I haven't done anything on Github so there will be a learning curve, but it might be more suitable than a brand new website from scratch. 

I hope you find this useful.

Edit: Keep in mind that the layout of this version is different from the one in the picture show in the OP. It is a revision that I have not tried. Electrically nothing changed. It is just a different layout of components. 

Videopac G7000 RGB mod smd V1.2.zip

Edited by Unstablewarpfield
  • Like 1

Thank you @Unstablewarpfield this honors you.

I can perfectly understand your point, it happens to all of us, this is a hobby and real life is always first, but having received no response from the G7000 (not 7400 sorry) so much ago and seeing that although claimed that you had in mind to make it public some projects they did not appear it made me think you changed your mind.

I will personally give it a try to your version, seems very neat and will certainly improve my console current output.

• Like 1