IGNORED

video cd

walter_J64bit

I'm pretty sure you can make a VideoCD using a PC.  Most burning software has an option for making a VideoCD.  You need to have the video in MPEG in the correct format and resolution.

True, but the Jag wont play standard VCD's without the mpeg decoder cartridge, which was never released, and I dont think even the few prototypes that exist actually work, but if Atari finished it, it would have allowed viewing standard mpeg-1 vcd's. The only option availible on standard hardware is Cinepak, and the Atari tools and compressors only work on Macs.

I'm pretty sure you can make a VideoCD using a PC.  Most burning software has an option for making a VideoCD.  You need to have the video in MPEG in the correct format and resolution.

True, but the Jag wont play standard VCD's without the mpeg decoder cartridge, which was never released, and I dont think even the few prototypes that exist actually work, but if Atari finished it, it would have allowed viewing standard mpeg-1 vcd's. The only option availible on standard hardware is Cinepak, and the Atari tools and compressors only work on Macs.

It's also worth pointing out that this isn't the same Cinepak that you can get decompressors for on the PC, it's a different format with the same name. So you have to use the Atari tools, which means a Mac...

Stone

Hi !

Yes, sadly the Jag Cinepak isn't like the PC cinepak. The only way to create Jag Cinepaks are the Macintosh tools.

Thunderbird, I tried the mac emulators as well some months ago. No Luck. I could get one (don't remember which one) to convert a quicktime file to jag cinepak I think, but I didn't get it from the emulators "harddisc image" to the real pc harddisc, so I can't say if the conversion was really working. I didn't get error messages or crashes at least, but still I think it's pointless to experiment with the emulators.

Getting a mac is the only way I guess and I don't think it's worth the effort if you don't have one already.

I think it's really a shame that atari didn't port the cinepak tools to PC.

Regards, Lars.

Or even ST/Falcon versions, after all there are the dev. programs for the Atari computers just like the PC. Why did they make some tools on one computer and others on another? That doesn't make the least bit of sense to me (not that a lot of what atari did, did make sense). Luckily I have a Mac and ST and PC, so I'm covered.

• Like 1

See new video disk from Songbird released at CGE2003 this weekend.

Glenn produced it using all of the Atari commercials he could find to put on an Atari Jaguar CD format.

We have the Atari Big Disk coming out soon that Atari used for testing Jagaur CDROMs. It has many of the Jaguar commercials plus several movie trailers in Cinepak format.

Saturday we released the Atari Jaguar CDROM Test Cartridge LMS915 and the Atari CDROM Test Disk 2A. When used with a terminal & cables

it uses a Movie Trailer from Back to the Future III(?) for testing the CDROMs ability to run Cinepak. It is the same clip that is on the Atari Big Disk but only has the one trailer.

Where can I find Atari's tools or plug-ins to export movies in Cinepak? Or is it already in Quicktime for the Mac? I've seen Cinepak compression listed as an export option, but will it work without Atari's tools? And would I need a bypass cart to play a video on the JagCD?

Or even ST/Falcon versions, after all there are the dev. programs for the Atari computers just like the PC. Why did they make some tools on one computer and others on another? That doesn't make the least bit of sense to me (not that a lot of what atari did, did make sense). Luckily I have a Mac and ST and PC, so I'm covered.

This is because the Jaguar Film format is based on Quicktime using Radius Cinepak compression. Atari paid a huge license fee to Supermac (around $80k for the first payment) to have the technology on the Jaguar.

Because around the 1994 timeframe, Quicktime was only available on the Mac. Apple was just barely porting it to other platforms. All the professional tools were on the Mac (e.g. Debabilizer, Adobe Preimere).

Mike Fulton wrote the tool. He never planned for making the tool on the PC, according to him. But it's funny that they ported the FILMINFO.EXE program.

And someone in another message mentioned about the pixelization. I tried my best to keep that to a minimum. But I just don't have the same tools that Atari had. Some films convert just fine and others don't. I haven't been able yet to determine what makes the difference. The Cave informercial is like this mainly due to the amount of conversion it had to go through to get into Jaguar film format. It went from a 80meg MPEG1 to a 330meg Quicktime Cinepak.

Glenn

ST's and Falcons dont really have the storage or processing power to manipulate video properly, and neither did the PC's of the era. Mac's were graphics powerhouses, and nothing else could really do the job.

ST's and Falcons dont really have the storage or processing power to manipulate video properly, and neither did the PC's of the era. Mac's were graphics powerhouses, and nothing else could really do the job.

I guess there were at least two other companies producing enough powerful hardware: Commodore with A4000 line and SGI. I can understand why Atari never used Amiga for dev tools (but they did it in case of Lynx, but it's a different story). The prices for SGI were at least few times higher than Apple. Still Atari failed to provide one set of all dev tools to one platform :(

Cheers,