IGNORED

Timex Sinclair TS1500 Question

Mindfield

Someone passed one of these along to me (computer only, no peripherals or anything) but I can't seem to get it fully powered up.

I plugged in a universal 9v/300mA (1.5W) adapter, and though it powers up and goes to the usual "K" cursor just like all the early Sinclair ZX80/81/TS1000 machines, there is no response from the keyboard. So I thought it might be that it needs more current. I plugged in my 2600 Jr adapter, also 9v, but drawing 500mA (2.5W). Same deal. All show, no go. Does ANYONE know the power requirements for this thing? I've searched loads of Sinclair/Timex pages but none of them go into detail about its power requirements (at least, not with regards to its amperage/wattage)

I mean, okay, the TS1500 isn't exactly a great machine -- no graphic or sound chips, and frankly I'd love to find a TS2048 or 2064 (the yank version of the Spectrum) but it'd be kinda cool to get this thing powered up in all its silent, video-chip-less glory. :-)

Here's a good story. In the early 90's, the lockers in the employee breakroom at the grocery store I work at were all taken, and it was obvious that no one had used the lockers in years. The locks were covered in dust. The employees had quit without emptying out their lockers. Our manager went back there one day, looked at the lockers and dust, and decided to cut the locks off with bolt cutters. Along with treasures like an unopened box of Donkey Kong Cereal, there were four Timex Sinclair cassette programs left in a locker from 1983. I took 'em home. But the manager insisted that I pay at least a little something for them, regardless of the fact that they were close to 10 years old. I ended up having to pay a quarter each for decade old software. When I think back on it now, I wish i'd taken the Donkey Kong Cereal home too. Reading the back of the box would be far more interesting than trying to play Flight Simulator on a TS1000.