IGNORED

Invisible in Asteroids on AFX?

8 minutes ago, Rodney Hester said:

Another interesting finding...with a Deluxe on CFW 0.1.9 and overclock (none of which I think have anything to do with it), either my ship or the asteroids are invisible in a game of Asteroids.  Anyone else noticed that?

I have noticed that also.

That sort of thing happens on a few games, can't recall which ones off the top of my head though.

This is also the main reason I don't use the overclock!

Maybe @rocketfan could shed some light on the matter...

You're right - to my surprise, it is indeed the overclock.

Looking to see if there's some sort of 'happy medium' that eliminates the flicker disappearance while keeping River Raid smooth, but first learning about how Android boots so I can generate a series of test overlays that alter the speed to see if there's a happy medium.  I'm going to target the stock FB9 speed to begin with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rodney Hester said:

...while keeping River Raid smooth...

that's what I watch when experimenting with A2600; River Raid.

P.S. off-topic here, but something I forgot to mention earlier is you can totally have NEXUS, MrFister's NTSC pack, and a personal custom setup all at the same time, you just need a couple extra flash drives. plug, swap and play. My question is... is there a way to run multiple setups from one flash drive and swap on the fly somehow and not need to put the flash drive in the PC and juggle folders, or have to run multiple flash drives in general?

Also, if your custom additions aren't too many, you could see if MrFister would aid in creating a unique custom firmware that flashed those changes to your system itself and will show even without an OTG adapter and drive. Plus, you could still hook one up and run NEXUS or any other setup instead via OTG.

Edited by Draxxon

On 4/20/2021 at 8:17 PM, Rodney Hester said:

either my ship or the asteroids are invisible in a game of Asteroids.

My only observation is that it sounds awfully similar to the mousetrap doors, issues with moonsweeper, and also the disappearing missile in Battlezone.  We found using either retrolayer.9 (or the retroplayer.l from lfb) would resolve that.  I passed an update to Draxxon which will allows only specific games to use retroplayer.9 by renaming the roms .a269 since that also induces the heavy-handed scan line filter and may not be generally desireable.

I wonder if it's really the same issue on Asteroids or not?

There are tradeoffs - I mainly want the overclock because it helps various arcade games which are needier.  The other thing it does is let Stella 6.1 run at some minimal level. 

BTW, I haven't noticed any A800 games get "too fast" but then I'm not really too well calibrated, so maybe they actually are.

Edited by rocketfan