IGNORED

1400XL value...

geneb

14 minutes ago, slx said:

I was always looking forward to having more time for hobby stuff in retirement (given I was late having kids) but then you always hear about retirees being far busier than working people. What I fear most is not having the reflexes to play games any more...

My thoughts exactly!

I too, foresee more time with my hobby as I get older.

As to the 1400XL, If I can't get one for less than $200, I have ZERO interest since I've already upgraded my 1200XL into a better machine than the 1400XL. And I appreciate it more than a 1400XL worth $100,000 (or whatever) since I did it myself and put the time and love into it, and since I purchase vintage stuff for using and not investment (I'll leave what it's all worth and cashing in to my relatives after I'm gone) and I plan to use until the day I die, or go blind, or my hands stop working fro arthritis, or both. I'm not sure I'm interested in a 1400XL for even less than $200.

I actually prefer having a custom 1200XL I can take pride in for making it what it is myself.  I don't even care if my 1200XL would be worth more or less than a stock one these days since I'm not in it for the money. I already own a "poor man's 1400XL+++" (maybe I should just call it a 1500XL at this point) as far as I'm concerned. A stock 1400XL wouldn't even be enough for me these days, and I couldn't mod and upgrade it to my liking because they are "museum pieces," so again, I prefer what I already have and appreciate it far more.

I'd rather have any Atari XL fully upgraded with today's latest upgrades than a 1400XL. As to owning something like a 1400XL because it's so rare, or a one-of-a-kind, again, I am more proud of owning my one-of-a-kind custom 1200XL (now re-dubbed 1200XLr "r" for revised/re-imagined) because I did it.

20210424_090405.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

As I hit 60 soon and virtually already retired I've had the pretty awful task of seeing my decline in ability, because I'm not busy its very apparent how my eye's have declined and my movement affected, I still play to try and counteract these things and to keep the mind active but I do dread when it becomes too hard. I'm still able to do these things but I'm not as swift as I used to be, reactions are just enough to play but some of the shooters I love are now a tad harder :)

Still, I'm here and still doing it....And enjoying it....

As for the value of machines, I'm with Matt here, for me my humble 800XL is top dog, like Matt (but nowhere near as creative) I love my XL because I pimped it myself, it might only be minor electronics but I did it. A 1400XL would be a nice addition but would I really use it to its full potential, nah, and that matters to me. If I own a machine its because I want to use it and not have it as a museum piece, so the thought of paying top dollar for one is just silly, what I want to do I can do on my XL, so its worth its weight in gold to me.

The only two Atari's I'd want are a 1200 as we never got them here in the UK, never seen one in the flesh, and the 1450XLD and that I'm never going to see in the flesh...So my common as muck 800XL still wins the day here..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

That's when I'll finish all those Scott Adams and Infocom text adventures I never got around to finishing!

That's it for me too. I have a 1001 uses and ideas for my Atari's far beyond just gaming, so when I can no longer game due to reflexes or arthritis, I'll just use them more for things that don't require fast reflexes. I already do.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

It sux getting old....I feel sorry for all of us finding it tough and happy for those still able to enjoy...Do it while you can....

Did a 20yr old me ever think I'd be wearing glasses and making cracking noises from every joint and struggling to play Defender...No...So those still feeling good, get as much in as you can...

Probably my last purchase for the Atari will be a Fuji-net just to see what all the fuss is about, my machine does all that I want and I can emulate the rest but with all this illness around I'm having a loss of interest in pretty much everything. My old mate Bob kept saying "my get up and got has got up and left" and I'm feeling that myself.

But that's me just being a moaner..I could be so much worse off...

I still have fair enough reflexes for gaming, for now, but due to early stage arthritis I have to pause and give my hands a break every 5 minutes with heavy-action games like shooters. I still haven't made it beyond level 2 of the fantastic new shooter 'Last Squadron' because it doesn't have a PAUSE. I'm hoping the final release version with a PAUSE will happen soon so I can enjoy the game more. I  still see perfectly fine, for now, on a monitor screen with my reading glasses, and without glasses when I have a system hooked up to my projector, especially now that I have a 120" screen for it. I foresee myself using a large projection screen more and more as I get older and my eyesight gets worse, at least until I get around to getting Lasic(?) surgery at some point, but a $2 pair of reading glasses works a lot better for my budget right now, and if I had to pay thousands for eye surgery that's thousands I don't get to spend on my hobby.

But like you @Mclaneinc , I don't see many more purchases for my Atari's beyond software, I also have pretty much everything I want now. Only a Rapidus and VBXE purchases for my 1200XL and DIY Fujinet and internal 3.5" floppy drive that I already have all components needed for both. I already have the components for further DIY upgrades I'm doing on the 800 too. After that hardware purchases will be limited to maintenance and replacement. But, I still have big spending plans for materials for future electronic projects that I will be experimenting, designing and creating that will be using my massively upgraded and modified Atari's in integral ways. I need to buy all the materials and components now, for projects I might wait until semi-retirement/retirement to even start, while I'm physically still able to work and make disposable income that I won't have in retirement (which will only occur if I'm forced too physically, otherwise, owning my own business, I'll continue to work, at least part-time, and only be semi-retired until the day I die)

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I feel for you guys, but I'm already where you are heading, turned 60 quite some time ago and although like some

of you I have health concerns, I still try to do all the things I promised myself when I retired, I still play World of Warcraft

every day and still seem to hold my own against the young un's , I love my Atari's and in spite of a few shaky hands I also

manage to do upgrades (just built an ASCI2SD) for my ST. I also write code on my 8 bits and ST in C and Assembler, I also

code using Arduino IDE for various micro controllers (don't seem to have lost my marbles yet :) )

So be positive, it's not too bad, I'm sure I'll reach a point where I won't be able to do this stuff, but at least I know my Atari

collection will go somewhere it will be appreciated, my Grandson is a collector of older games consoles, he doesn't just collect,

he actually uses them and loves to use my 800 when comes round.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

He passed in the 90s. He had the whole rear section of his house devoted to HAM radio (from what I can remember, I was never really allowed in the hobbiest section of the house sadly) and had a huge tower in the back yard not to dissimilar in height to a large mobile tower.

I sort of believe that the HAM enthusiasts in the day were in many ways enjoying a form of pre cursor to the internet. I remember he had maps of the world on the walls all marked out with what I assume were contacts and fellow enthusiasts.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to all his gear. I found the location a while back and it's all housing estate now. I remember he owned all the land for miles around.

He was a communications officer in the war based on what I'm told.

My Daughter has my love of tech, I'll leave everything to her. If she keeps it, great. If she doesn't, that's her choice.

You're right about it being the precursor to the the Internet. I remember hearing that the 800 was used for ham because it was so well shielded. Although most might not see value in owning a ham radio, if there is ever a major disaster, chances are this would be the only way for people to communicate with one another, at least for a period of time until they repair standard communication methods.

4 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

You're right about it being the precursor to the the Internet. I remember hearing that the 800 was used for ham because it was so well shielded. Although most might not see value in owning a ham radio, if there is ever a major disaster, chances are this would be the only way for people to communicate with one another, at least for a period of time until they repair standard communication methods.

It's interesting. In the war my uncle used Morse Code a lot, so he never fully stopped using it. In the end he was forced to get a computer to enter in Morse Code via software due to a repetitive strain injury obtained over the many years of using the normal 'switch' (I suppose that's what you call it?).

In the end he got a computer, but it wasn't an Atari, is was a shitty little Dick Smith VZ200 (look it up). The time he showed me that computer was the only time I ever went into that room.

8 hours ago, Gunstar said:

As to the 1400XL, If I can't get one for less than $200, I have ZERO interest since I've already upgraded my 1200XL into a better machine than the 1400XL.

I think this is the biggest barrier to the 1400XL's value hitting 'stupid money' ($15k), it doesn't really offer much more than any other XL with modern upgrades. Like yourself, my 600XL is probably a better machine than the 1400XL now, so I have zero interest in it.

8 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

As I hit 60 soon and virtually already retired I've had the pretty awful task of seeing my decline in ability, because I'm not busy its very apparent how my eye's have declined and my movement affected, I still play to try and counteract these things and to keep the mind active but I do dread when it becomes too hard. I'm still able to do these things but I'm not as swift as I used to be, reactions are just enough to play but some of the shooters I love are now a tad harder :)

Still, I'm here and still doing it....And enjoying it....

As for the value of machines, I'm with Matt here, for me my humble 800XL is top dog, like Matt (but nowhere near as creative) I love my XL because I pimped it myself, it might only be minor electronics but I did it. A 1400XL would be a nice addition but would I really use it to its full potential, nah, and that matters to me. If I own a machine its because I want to use it and not have it as a museum piece, so the thought of paying top dollar for one is just silly, what I want to do I can do on my XL, so its worth its weight in gold to me.

The only two Atari's I'd want are a 1200 as we never got them here in the UK, never seen one in the flesh, and the 1450XLD and that I'm never going to see in the flesh...So my common as muck 800XL still wins the day here..

I do struggle with fine soldering, although I push myself to do it. My hands shake as a result of back injuries resulting from two car accidents (not my fault) and pain medication, I can't stand at the workbench for too long.

In fact I'm considering finding something desk height and moving all my electronics gear into the house.

2 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

it doesn't really offer much more than any other XL with modern upgrades

Not exactly the case, thiugh.

That is, PBI interface is *buffered* on-board ( which was stripped off XL architecture later), and latest 1400XL boards have floppy interfaces, + buolt-in Votrax voice synth., all driven through PBI... plus DMA control, key-click, international char. set, etc., directly from keyboard.

You can upgrade XLs all you want and you won't get there (FYI).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Not exactly the case, thiugh.

That is, PBI interface is *buffered* on-board ( which was stripped off XL architecture later), and latest 1400XL boards have floppy interfaces, + buolt-in Votrax voice synth., all driven through PBI... plus DMA control, key-click, international char. set, etc., directly from keyboard.

You can upgrade XLs all you want and you won't get there (FYI).

Well I have no need for a buffered PBI bus and I don't need a voice synth. I've got DMA control and can disable key click via KB shortcuts. I have no need for a dedicated floppy interface in this day and age.

If it had something really special like dedicated memory for ANTIC, dropping the reliance on CPU halting while ANTIC takes bus priority, I might see an advantage - But even then such a system would have to be supported by software, which would be unlikely as it was never officially released.

Edited by Mazzspeed

20 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

Well, it depends on what the community does at retirement BUT I think what you'll find is a diminished interest in such things. As people retire they might move to retirement areas that have homes that will have the space to support their collection. Then, they might find other hobbies that are more in line with their retirement climent since they will be surrounded by others with those same interests. Right now,I think ,there are a lot of people in nostalgia mode right now but I don't think that will stay strong for more than 10 years. Just my prediction.

Hmmm, Atari has plans for Atari hotels...  thinking...

Maybe Atari should make plans for Atari retirement homes - a place where all retired people live *and* play old Atari games.  ;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm, Atari has plans for Atari hotels...  thinking...

Maybe Atari should make plans for Atari retirement homes - a place where all retired people live *and* play old Atari games.  ;-)

Oh, God, no.  If I'm going to be put into an Atari retirement home where any of the current crop of assclowns running that company have even the slightest degree of responsibility over them, just take me out back and put a bullet through my head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I too, foresee more time with my hobby as I get older.

As to the 1400XL, If I can't get one for less than $200, I have ZERO interest since I've already upgraded my 1200XL into a better machine than the 1400XL. And I appreciate it more than a 1400XL worth $100,000 (or whatever) since I did it myself and put the time and love into it, and since I purchase vintage stuff for using and not investment (I'll leave what it's all worth and cashing in to my relatives after I'm gone) and I plan to use until the day I die, or go blind, or my hands stop working fro arthritis, or both. I'm not sure I'm interested in a 1400XL for even less than $200.

I actually prefer having a custom 1200XL I can take pride in for making it what it is myself.  I don't even care if my 1200XL would be worth more or less than a stock one these days since I'm not in it for the money. I already own a "poor man's 1400XL+++" (maybe I should just call it a 1500XL at this point) as far as I'm concerned. A stock 1400XL wouldn't even be enough for me these days, and I couldn't mod and upgrade it to my liking because they are "museum pieces," so again, I prefer what I already have and appreciate it far more.

I'd rather have any Atari XL fully upgraded with today's latest upgrades than a 1400XL. As to owning something like a 1400XL because it's so rare, or a one-of-a-kind, again, I am more proud of owning my one-of-a-kind custom 1200XL (now re-dubbed 1200XLr "r" for revised/re-imagined) because I did it.

20210424_090405.jpg

@Gunstar I agree with you here but from a slightly different angle. :) Like you, I have no burning desire to acquire a 1400XL. Of course I will take one if an opportunity arises and I have the easy good fortune to get it. Who wouldn't, especially if it doesn't break the bank? I had the privilege to grow up with Atari computers. The 800 was a fundamental building block in my childhood but that experience was in my childhood - not my adulthood. As a child, I would not have appreciated the power and capability of applications like SynCalc or the deeper dives into the hardware like learning about the GTIA, ANTIC, and all the OS ROMs. In my adulthood all these more advanced topics make sense to me and I am able to connect my present Atari experience with my childhood Atari experience. Connecting these two times in my life makes the Atari ecosystem feel complete and right to me. It's like a sense of belonging and identification. I don't particularly need a 1400XL for this. My 1200XL and this forum is plenty

I find it odd that I am not drawn to the 800 like I am to my 1200XL even though I did not have any childhood experience with the 1200XL. Maybe this is because I feel like the 1200XL is the natural extension of the 800. It is where I would have gone if my Atari childhood experience had carried on without interruption to adulthood. Just as children naturally grow up, the 800 in my life probably would have grown up to a 1200XL. I don't necessarily feel some sort of pride with my 1200XL but it does feel special to me. My heart would be broken if the machine died. I would aim to replace it with another 1200XL system but I wouldn't fight fate if I was told to move to an 800XL or 130XE. That means there is something there for me and it would be another chapter in my Atari experience.

Atari computers are just "things". They may be special "things" but they are "things" nonetheless. Even though a 1400XL is very, very cool all it would do is add "expensive" to the word "thing". It wouldn't add anything to the word "experience" for me. 

• Like 3

On 4/25/2021 at 12:26 AM, 1200XL M.U.L.E. said:

It wouldn't add anything to the word "experience" for me.

That will change, of course, until you get your hands around one, and connect the up-coming tooless, plug-and-play U1MB+SIDE3 (PBI) expansion unit.

Your world will change, right there... ??

• Haha 1