IGNORED

Best modern disk editor?

800_Rocks

What is your go to disk editor tool?

I have DISKEY and like it but it only supports DOS 2.0s and 2.5. Is there a similar more modern tool that also supports DOS 3, DOS XL, DOS XE, SmartDOS, SpartaDOS, etc. and many of the newer DOSes?  I want to use it mainly for self-education and for the occasional disk or file repair or recovery. 

In the Forum I see talk of DISKIO but no one seems to have a .ATR image. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7abd77ebdb720672e2e43126617994cc.jpeg

I wrote one back in the 80s that was really powerful.  It had all kinds of cool features, including a disassembler.  I tried to submit it somewhere in 89? 90? but never got a response.  I even wrote a manual for it as part of a class assignment for a technical writing class while at university.  I had to use the quick reference sheet to figure out how to do some stuff when I used it a few years ago after digging out my 8-bit stuff after 30 years of storage.  It was all written in 100% assembly using Mac/65.  One of the cool features it had was you could store a second buffer of sector data, which you could then AND/OR/XOR with the current sector of data.  This was handy if you happened to have a sector of data that was "encrypted" by XORing with another set of data (cough Broderbund cough).  ?  I should dig it out.  I have a few ideas for some enhancements for it.  I am kinda scared to look at what my teenaged self thought was good code, though!  The main "flaw" in the tool, as I think about it now, is that it was written to only handle 128 byte sectors, either single or enhanced density.  I had the US Doubler at the time, but I only used DD for my own stuff, as SD was the universal format that everyone could handle.

Anyway, I called it "The Disk Interrogator", and it used a Dark Theme (Black, White & shades of Grey) before there even was such a thing!  ?

• Like 7

4 hours ago, 800_Rocks said:

I have DISKEY and like it but it only supports DOS 2.0s and 2.5. Is there a similar more modern tool that also supports DOS 3, DOS XL, DOS XE, SmartDOS, SpartaDOS, etc. and many of the newer DOSes?  I want to use it mainly for self-education and for the occasional disk or file repair or recovery. 

don;t know if these are what you're looking for

DiskIO Plus -basic.atr Diskio 4.3 20w Rev C -basic.atr Diskio 4.4.atr Diskio Plus 25w Rev C -basic.atr DiskIO Plus -basic [alt].atr

I have those as well but it seems more like a dos than a disk editor...Admittedly I only had a swift look..

PS, still have a soft spot for Diskey (1, not the looks like a hack version 2), used it for the title page on Raid over Libya (my Sidewinder hack, new levels by a mate and hacked to load them straight in). Still managed to get a rogue character in there :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

5 hours ago, 800_Rocks said:

In my opinion, it would be SDX Eddy.xex, and runs in 64 or 80 cols., via RC_GR8.SYS driver (no need to load CON.SYS driver)

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 6:51 AM, 800_Rocks said:

If you're willing to consider PC based tools then Omnivore is an powerful utility, it works with ATR images and other file types.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1