IGNORED

NOS colecovision power supplies on sale for $35+shipping

Swami

This is not me, but I would snatch them up at this price if I didn't already have two working ones and two NOS as backup. I always tell people you can just add a cheap 2 foot extension cord and it is like a laptop or modern game console power supply.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagecomputerswapmeet/permalink/3967086050033744

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zyzzle said:

Amazing, someone posts a FB post selling 20 CV power supplies, and they're ALL gone within 18 hours! Absolutely unbelievable how demand can be so high on nearly 40-year-old components.

Jut hoping they don't show up on eBay for $75 a piece.

• Like 1

NOS power supplies seem like a no brainer at first glance, but since they've never been used since they were made over 30 years ago, I have to wonder if there are any components inside the power supply that can decay after all those years, rendering it an unreliable as a "used" one.

24 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

NOS power supplies seem like a no brainer at first glance, but since they've never been used since they were made over 30 years ago, I have to wonder if there are any components inside the power supply that can decay after all those years, rendering it an unreliable as a "used" one.

GOOD question; some years ago I bought a pair from somewhere and only 1 of the pair worked.  So not a good buy for me at that time.

4 minutes ago, Starwander said:

Would people be interested in reproduction ones? 

Reproducing the original power bricks?  Maybe.  Coming up with a more modern solution that doesn't melt or cause noise on your system?  Definitely.

Just now, 128Kgames said:

Reproducing the original power bricks?  Maybe.  Coming up with a more modern solution that doesn't melt or cause noise on your system?  Definitely.

Because I bet I could have new ones made that copy the original but use modern parts. 

4 minutes ago, Starwander said:

Because I bet I could have new ones made that copy the original but use modern parts. 

I don't know anyone in the Coleco community that wouldn't be interested.  We had USB and modular solutions made available but both have their own issues.  Then there's the cost.  A new replacement power supply made specifically for the ColecoVision would be fantastic, and I could see Kickstarter or Indiegogo as a good funding option if there's a proven prototype and business plan.  I know I'd back it for a few.

17 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

A new one would be welcomed but I doubt anyone would want that giant brick hanging on the wall. 

Which is why I've always preferred the Canadian and UK power bricks as these don't hang off the wall but have two power cords instead.

2 hours ago, AtariBrian said:

A new one would be welcomed but I doubt anyone would want that giant brick hanging on the wall. 

He stated it would be made with modern parts. That means it would be a switching type of supply. It might likely still be in an enclosure or wall wort like design, but wouldn't weigh a brick either. My main request is that if you did go with a wall wort solution, do NOT put the prongs sideways! I get it when plugged into a wall outlet the sideways plug idea is good. But on a power strip it sucks.

8 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It might likely still be in an enclosure or wall wort like design, but wouldn't weigh a brick either. My main request is that if you did go with a wall wort solution, do NOT put the prongs sideways!

My main request would be that it is compatible with both North American and European/Australian power systems and plug sockets.  Should be relatively easy to do when one looks at the plethora of power adapters that achieve this.

3 hours ago, Starwander said:

The wafer man claims you couldn’t sell them in the United States  due to lack of certification. I’m not sure when that applies to a homebrewer selling them, which does not seem much different from modding a console power supply. 

6 minutes ago, Swami said:

The wafer man claims you couldn’t sell them in the United States  due to lack of certification. I’m not sure when that applies to a homebrewer selling them, which does not seem much different from modding a console power supply. 

HDTV1080 is the same person that sells Wafer Drives on the 'bay?

16 hours ago, Swami said:

I think the wafer man has a lot of issues lol

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Which is why I've always preferred the Canadian and UK power bricks as these don't hang off the wall but have two power cords instead.

Ah, so that's the Coleco that power supply goes to! (I have a Canadian Coleco and must have mixed up my power supplies at some point!).

On 5/4/2021 at 2:27 PM, 128Kgames said:

I don't know anyone in the Coleco community that wouldn't be interested.  We had USB and modular solutions made available but both have their own issues.  Then there's the cost.  A new replacement power supply made specifically for the ColecoVision would be fantastic, and I could see Kickstarter or Indiegogo as a good funding option if there's a proven prototype and business plan.  I know I'd back it for a few.

The ColUSB is already a wonderful option so I'm not sure why we would need another one.  Pairing it with a good usb wall charger is the key and I can't emphasize this enough. I can't even begin to tell you the countless hours I've spent testing them on many, many Colecovision consoles.  I mainly use them for testing customer's consoles simply because they're small and produce absolutely zero noise just like the old linear power supplies.  They work perfect on every video upgrade I've thrown at it over the past 18 months.

I don't get any kickbacks or any type of deals (I pay full price just like you ?) from the makers of the ColUSB for openly recommending it.  It's just a good product which is why I recommend it plus how well it works with the TMS-RGB and other upgrades.

4 minutes ago, Ruggers Customs said:

The ColUSB is already a wonderful option so I'm not sure why we would need another one.  Pairing it with a good usb wall charger is the key and I can't emphasize this enough. I can't even begin to tell you the countless hours I've spent testing them on many, many Colecovision consoles.  I mainly use them for testing customer's consoles simply because they're small and produce absolutely zero noise just like the old linear power supplies.  They work perfect on every video upgrade I've thrown at it over the past 18 months.

I thought there was a "meltdown" issue with them and / or they were no longer being made?  If either is wrong or incorrect please let me know.

Just now, 128Kgames said:

I thought there was a "meltdown" issue with them and / or they were no longer being made?  If either is wrong or incorrect please let me know.

I think it was an incorrect usb wall charger issue.  They're currently in production as we speak and should be available in another month or two.  They ended up selling out 4th quarter last year unexpectedly due to high demand.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ruggers Customs said:

I think it was an incorrect usb wall charger issue.  They're currently in production as we speak and should be available in another month or two.  They ended up selling out 4th quarter last year unexpectedly due to high demand.

Well if you recommend them that's good enough for me, you're reputation proceeds you (that, and Ed Mello recommending you as well).  I know there's been a lot of threads on Coleco aftermarket power supply issues so it's often tough to stay on top of things or weed through what's correct information vs what's incorrect.  

Edited by 128Kgames
  • Like 2